av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work on the same old airplanes day after day. They never go away. Most of the piston engine planes are 40+ years old and they require a lot of work. I don’t care so much for jets so the boss doesn’t make me work on them much.
I enjoy chainsaws for their variety and the fact I can make most of them go without having having to stand on my head while working on them. There are so many different examples of the same concept out there and up to now (knock on wood) I have prevailed over all (except a flywheel on a Solo 50). It’s very gratifying. Period.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's to like about collecting chainsaws? Here's a few for me.
Noise, smoke, vibration, something motorized, being outside, the smell of fresh cut wood, some danger, scrounging parts, finding a rare bargain, GTG's with friends, on & on.
The chainsaw collecting habit is easy to quit. I've done it dozens of times!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed a Mac PM 610 once for a guy and all I wanted was a 12 pack of Bud,never came but 3 or 4 more saws showed up .I've never touched them never will and frankly have no idea where they are at .

Dude, you need to raise your prices. At least make it Heineken!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a serious note, I think it is about the power in ones hands handling a chainsaw, similar to firing guns.

I have occasionally the opportunity to handle generic China made supermarket/web shop chainsaws and all I feel is "yuck" & "blah".

I have settled on a level of minimal and maximal expectations performance wise in my saws.
A couple are underwhelming but they get used on jobs where any other of my saws would be utter overkill.
Two saws are simply brutes and I do not use them for everyday work, those will come out for show and play.
The rest of my saws is right in my comfort zone, I can grab any of them and get done any job at hand.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds annoying.
You wouldn’t believe the places I have to go and the openings I’m expected to work through. While I’ve never actually stood on my head , I hang upside down from time to time and there are a few jobs that I have to do behind my back, looking over my shoulder, because I can’t get my hands on it any other way. I can say without a doubt, that I work as much with my hands when I cannot see what I’m doing as I do when I can. Often I think the guys that designed these things set out to challenge them that come to work on em’. “Hey Fred, let’s see em’ figure this out. Heh, heh.”

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fun thread. I used to try to justify why I “needed another saw” to my wife. She eventually saw clean through the cloud of BS one day and said “just admit it’s a new hobby.” I admitted and things have gone a little smoother...lol! I still get the “wtf?” look from her when another saw shows up. But now I use her line against her...”It was on sale honey.” We laugh, she chews my a$$ for spending the money and we move on...lmao!!!

Welcome to OPE @HuskyFan1977 , you’re in good company here

:beer-toast1:

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fun thread. I used to try to justify why I “needed another saw” to my wife. She eventually saw clean through the cloud of BS one day and said “just admit it’s a new hobby.” I admitted and things have gone a little smoother...lol! I still get the “wtf?” look from her when another saw shows up. But now I use her line against her...”It was on sale honey.” We laugh, she chews my a$$ for spending the money and we move on...lmao!!!

Welcome to OPE @HuskyFan1977 , you’re in good company here

:beer-toast1:

My parents and grandparents never understood my desire to collect machinery and never will. My parents dont even ask why my garage is filled with duplicative OPE anymore, they gave up a long time ago. Still, how is that different from someone who has $10,000 in a motorcycle or $20,000 in a bass boat? They are all toys, mine just take a different form and function.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's surprising the amount of people who are otherwise excellent mechanics that are completely baffled by a two cycle engine .Plus to soup one up is some kind of black magic .I just shake my head .
Or that look you get when you tell someone you modified it. The head shake then “But why? It’s a chainsaw.” I just say you might understand...some day. Lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that modifications on chainsaws I'm not sure I 've had anything that if I felt it needed it I hadn't done anything to improve it .Depending on what it is it might not be be speed just improved on ease of operation or something .I'm not for doing things the hard way .The Good Lord made me strong but also with a brain and I plan on using it .

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me chainsaws started as a tool. Then turned into a 2 cycle toy to modify weed whips and saws to drive scooters and stuff. Then I started modding them for cutting weeds and wood. Now its all the above and a way for me to smell and hear 2 cycle year round.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re addictive because
1) They’re as exciting as a jet fighter but for the most part you aren’t required to have extensive training.

2) As much fun as firearms but you can buy one in any store without showing your I.D. and filling out a bunch of forms.

3) You can get an exhilarating high running one but unlike illegal drugs you can’t get arrested for using it.