High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Which self tuning saw for 24" buried in oak, novice user?

TreeTard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ran the 572xp she's kinda chunky imho. Also I've only run it double cutting with a 36" light bar. The experience was not it.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
...or one that's been out of production for decades,

Pop a Nitro Dally, you're seizing up! Lol

Ya, I love those ones too ! Lol.

I'm gonna go on the hunt for a pioneer from the 60s to cut 3-4 cords of firewood a year :lol:

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ran the 572xp she's kinda chunky imho. Also I've only run it double cutting with a 36" light bar. The experience was not it.
Yeah 36” would be a bit much. I only run up to 32” on my 70ccs (ported). Prolly try 36” for grins, but probably wouldn’t keep it set up that way. Only maybe felling in an awkward situation where I wanted a light ph. I need to get a 461 to try

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My limited experience has not found self tuning saws to be lower on maintenance or expense. If your friend can’t take the time to learn some basic tuning a fancy computer carb won’t solve his problems. His chain will still be dull, his air filter clogged with dust and his tank full of ethanol. If he’s not a gumby then learning the basics shouldn’t be a problem and he can get a nice saw for half the money of the newest stuff. If he wants the BMW or Lexus of chainsaws and knows that, then MS462, 572xp, 500i would all suit him. 400 or 562 are all-rounders, not power saws. If a noticeable bump in performance is what he wants, 70cc or greater.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah 36” would be a bit much. I only run up to 32” on my 70ccs (ported). Prolly try 36” for grins, but probably wouldn’t keep it set up that way. Only maybe felling in an awkward situation where I wanted a light ph. I need to get a 461 to try

I'd rather carry a bigger powerhead for a big bar than a nose diver on a light powerhead.

I always weigh them first and take a selfie though just to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in to.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
462 should be plenty, obviously if you have the extra cash a 500i. if you're just cutting firewood that should be more than enough. Depending on the scale of work and how often you will use it I wouldn't get carried away with anything too fancy. Just learn how to identify tension and compression on logs and how to keep that chain out of the dirt.

You know how many people on the world wide web have thousands of dollars in chainsaws and look like a fukked duck when they use them ?

I can't believe more people aren't killed, honestly. I cringe at some of the sh!t I've seen people do.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my answer should be the winner
we all know how much bigger of a saw is needed when you only need a 50 or 60 cc saw
husky lovers need bigger saws to go with their small peckers
so husky rule of thumb saw cc size is 1.5 cc size used
so 592 is the answer
🙄

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd rather carry a bigger powerhead for a big bar than a nose diver on a light powerhead.

I always weigh them first and take a selfie though just to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in to.
If I’m gonna buck, process, break down, whatever, yeah, balance…but hanging off a bank in ash up to my waist…I can’t lift a 90cc straight up and out in front of me.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I’m gonna buck, process, break down, whatever, yeah, balance…but hanging off a bank in ash up to my waist…I can’t lift a 90cc straight up and out in front of me.

Bro, you need more tats and a planet fitness membership and you'll have that 90cc out in front of you in no time.

A smart watch helps too.

That 2 lb weight difference will disappear like a virgin on prom night.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@davidwyby your friend clearly needs a ported 592. It should also probably have a 36” blade. You’re welcome @sawmikaze :lupie:

You forgot the foam filter, Harry - don't ignore me either. And you also forgot the 9 pin and .404..every novice user needs a bigger rim and fatter chain.

What about a simington to match?

These are reasonable upgrades for a guy that just had his black n pecker with a cord finally die.

Last edited: