High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Which self tuning saw for 24" buried in oak, novice user?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
You must have some mighty soft oak across that big pond, but what the heck, if he fries the piston and maybe the cylinder to 🤧 it would most likely be with in the first 3-6 month
Since you can buy a 362 from the dealer fitted with a 25” b&c I fail to see how it would burn up the piston in 3-6 months. A 362 is perfectly capable of pulling that size bar. Will it do it as fast as a 70+cc saw… Certainly not, but it would be adequate.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mind is still trying to recover after teaching last weeks chainsaw safety class! Novice to non-technical fellers. It's a miracle no one gets killed!
Anyway I would like to get myself an MS400 after handling one and thats what I'm basing my opinion on. They are incredibly light and more than adequate to pull a 24" bar . Hell if he's a novice and not concerned about speed , put full skip on it and teach them the basics of sharpening. The 2 in 1 file from stihl is really easy to use and does an ok job.
The 572 and 462 seem too big for more people new to chainsaws, from the feed back I get in classes , which is crazy because im not a big person? And most of them have seen me swing around a 394xp.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You must have some mighty soft oak across that big pond, but what the heck, if he fries the piston and maybe the cylinder to 🤧 it would most likely be with in the first 3-6 month
I was half kidding. In stock form the 362 is...mild, to put it nicely. Reliable and well built though.

Mygalomorph

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was half kidding. In stock form the 362 is...mild, to put it nicely. Reliable and well built though.
I will not question the quality or lifespan of an 362 in the hands of an experienced user, but the chain have to be kept sharp and the rakers adjusted acordingly and not at least, a generous muffler mod.
40:1 - 32:1
But still, if the main purpose is a 24" bar buried in oak, 70 cc or 90 cc would be my choice.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will not question the quality or lifespan of an 362 in the hands of an experienced user, but the chain have to be kept sharp and the rakers adjusted acordingly and not at least, a generous muffler mod.
40:1 - 32:1
But still, if the main purpose is a 24" bar buried in oak, 70 cc or 90 cc would be my choice.
I agree on all counts.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mind is still trying to recover after teaching last weeks chainsaw safety class! Novice to non-technical fellers. It's a miracle no one gets killed!
Anyway I would like to get myself an MS400 after handling one and thats what I'm basing my opinion on. They are incredibly light and more than adequate to pull a 24" bar . Hell if he's a novice and not concerned about speed , put full skip on it and teach them the basics of sharpening. The 2 in 1 file from stihl is really easy to use and does an ok job.
The 572 and 462 seem too big for more people new to chainsaws, from the feed back I get in classes , which is crazy because im not a big person? And most of them have seen me swing around a 394xp.
It takes some regular usage to tone the muscles needed for hanging onto saws of size - and most people are not in shape at all.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes some regular usage to tone the muscles needed for hanging onto saws of size - and most people are not in shape at all.
Boy you ain't kidding, Im gonna be 50 this year and feel like the guys half my age ought to be running circles around me and wanting the biggest saw! But its the exact opposite?
We're into the "participation award " generation now!