High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Which chain is easier to pull

G

Greenerpastures

Hi everyone

Looking at a few chains, one is the Oregon 73BPX which is Semi Chisel, it has bumper ramps,
the other is the Carlton A2EP Semi Chisel which has no bumper ramps.

Question is, all else being equal, does a chain with bumper ramps use more power to pull
it around as opposed to a chain with no bumper ramps.
And am I correct in assuming the bumper ramps keep things smoother and more consistent
as one cuts, and thus the chain without bumper ramps will be more cattery.

Thanks in advance, john

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
i dont know of any chain that has BUMPER RAMPS unless your referring to the rakers
16730836_2218608388364450_1805428158_n.png

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If this chain is going on an 18" bar on your 79cc Dolmar, I think you're gonna have tons of power with whatever chain you use. An extra ramped raker isn't gonna slow you down. Not noticeably anyway.

G

Greenerpastures

It will take a tiny bit of power away the more rakers is in the wood. Rakers shape can make one rough or smooth
Hi mdavlee
Thanks for commenting, regarding shape what shape would be the smoothest cutting
between a radius type or a sloped type bumper ramp.

Top chain has what I call rakers, bottom chain has what I call Ramped bumper links,
which of these chains will run the smoothest, and do bumper links slow the cut if you have
enough power to over come the slight drag they cause.

Thanks, john
Oregon_Chain_Profile.jpg

G

Greenerpastures

If this chain is going on an 18" bar on your 79cc Dolmar, I think you're gonna have tons of power with whatever chain you use. An extra ramped raker isn't gonna slow you down. Not noticeably anyway.
Thanks Ray Browne

You answered my question regarding power, I have the power, but, do the likes of bumper ramps sloped or otherwise shaped cause a chain to cut slower, leaving power out of the equation,
and also noting am not referring to the rakers that get filed and thus can have a positive effect on
cutting speed.

Thanks, john

G

Greenerpastures

Yup, but probably only noticeable when timing cuts.
Thanks
Am just trying to figure which of the above chains to go for, they are both Semi Chisel,
they both use the same file to sharpen, but one has Sloped bumper links while the other
chain does not.
I can not find any Semi Chisel Chain in the Oregon product range other than the BPX
with the bumper ramps so Carlton A2EP is my only other choice,
Stihl RM chain am waiting to see if I can get it, but I don't even know if this chain has
such ramps or not.

Your comments are welcome

Regards, john

G

Greenerpastures

I nice smooth rounded rakers will be the least vibes.
I do not have enough experience to comment on the profile of the rakers,
the thing that I don't understand is how a chain manages to cut when the first thing that meets with the timber
is a raker or a ramped bumper link, so does a sloped ramped bumper cut in easier to the wood than the rounded
contours of a raker, though squarish rakers are also available.

According to Stihl, the RM profile is better for bucking and liming, and their RM has no ramped bumper links
other than the rounded rakers.
Their RS also has no bumper links other than the rounded rakers, so am getting a picture here of the order
of things.

G

Greenerpastures

Thanks KenJax Tree

I will have a look
The tooth is taller than the raker. Chain rides like a wave down the bar at speed
Yes, and can you imagine the fun if the rakers were not there, one would need to tie themselves to the tree
nearest, and tape the saw to to our hands, would be like a rodeo, may be we have new sport in the making.

Regards, john

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
12:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I could care less about the bumper links. I try to avoid them because I am a tight wad that sharpens my chain down to nubs... when the tooth gets super short worn out , those bumpers will also need to be ground down to allow the tooth to bite correctly. Go for the Carlton It's pretty good chain , I've never used the 3/8 semi but all the Carlton chain I've used seems to hold up nice