beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had two run-ins with it. I'm a snob at this point and won't bring any home with me. Too many other great woods around us to deal with it.
I hear ya. There's stuff that has to be in my way to get cut. Soft maple is almost worthless in the boiler as well as sycamore,unless it real big I don't mess with it. Anything up to 16" doesn't normally get split here.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya. There's stuff that has to be in my way to get cut. Soft maple is almost worthless in the boiler as well as sycamore,unless it real big I don't mess with it. Anything up to 16" doesn't normally get split here.
Agreed. I'll burn maple, but for me, it seasons really quick and doesn't last real long in the box. Great shoulder season wood or I burn it during the day when I'm home.

I helped a local FHC guy split wood one day. He had a small gum log bucked. It was ignorant. Just like this pic.
4020-db8516d339bfe6d37d39ccfc3c80fb7e.jpg

angtft.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you let it freeze ut splits real easy.
Hickory is also stringy as heck like elm

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Again, hickory and most woods need to dry out to not be so stringy. Hickory isn't generally twisty grain like elm either, so it's more of a moisture thing.

I have run into a burly oak that was a pure waste trying to split. It would crumble into a bunch of useless junk under the hydro splitter. I should have diced it with a chainsaw.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1 free
2 delivered
3 cut and split

Ok number 3 was two choices. I don’t chase after any particular species. I do mostly clearing on fence lines. Every few years I help out on a thinning job, but that is just to get rid of the sick or dead standing trees. Or make room for the high valued lumber trees.

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only hedge I've burnt so far was some old fence posts. Funny thing is best friend has a few hedge trees on his acreage the landlord wants out. Been putting them off because of all the other wood (trees) down that need processed first. One of these days will start to take them down, just not sure when.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag