Whats Your BIG 3?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True Jason. 2 years is better than 1. But you could burn it after probably. I have been doing some experimenting with stacking. If i stack wood in single stack, it dries much quicker than in my lean-to with multiple stacks. Better air flow I think. And from both sides.
No doubt one row would dry quicker! And smaller splits I’m sure would all affect how quickly any species gets to a desired m/c. I’ve been trying to make bigger splits so they last longer in my firebox. Soooo many variables, Lolol!!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now hickory .As per a local sawmill they tell me that bitter nut, often called smooth bark is what you want if you are going to cut lumber .It's a second cousin to pecan and has a nice light brown tint to it .I've got a spar from a wind blown top about 40-45 feet tall that will probably stand by itself for a couple more years before the bark starts to shed .That thing has to have at least 1500 bd feet in the log ,nice and straight .
Yup smoothbark is more desirable than shagbark for sawlogs. Shagbark we usually cut for low grade (ties or mat logs) unless it’s really nice straight with no knots.