jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cherry maple oak of any sort

Pile usually consists of anything I come across first. I’m not picky. I even burn a lot of gum. I do some hedgerow clearing so all that just gets used to burn. If I go out of my way to cut firewood it’ll be the three mentioned.
Maple dries so well it’s really good to mix with the denser wood to get a good fire going
The heavier wood then goes on top

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup if it will fit in the door I’ll burn it

I work for a logger but he also has a bundling side business.
Those little $5 bundles
We have a Multitek processor then gets kiln dry and bundle.
He ask if i wanted the junk pile.

4409684a5399fa2d85396992c94db5b2.jpg
be9178494df8bf78af9eeedbe73fdd4c.jpg
165e09a12bd3543ea06f69a51f3f2f59.jpg
604ac482beb41591b3d74e7c1c106bdb.jpg
0a1315464f934d54a07e161eab07b5a1.jpg
41149f2072aa362873ae6fc7a7928f72.jpg

Brought home 6 loads

Cottonwood maple locust ash hickory oak little bit of everything in there [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskey Hills
One hellava "Junk Pile" there!! :campeon::b1:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cherry maple oak of any sort

Pile usually consists of anything I come across first. I’m not picky. I even burn a lot of gum. I do some hedgerow clearing so all that just gets used to burn. If I go out of my way to cut firewood it’ll be the three mentioned.
Maple dries so well it’s really good to mix with the denser wood to get a good fire going
The heavier wood then goes on top
Hey Snake!
I got a truck load of gum last season...1st time I've ever fooled with it.
Do you burn it by itself or mix and match it with other wood...is it a decent burner?
Good seeing ya bud!:applaudit:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 34T of hydro pressure. If you think this is splitting fine, more power to ya.
View attachment 205278
View attachment 205277
View attachment 205276

My wedge goes 1/2-1" into oak and the round pulls easily apart. Piss on elm, next time I run into some let me know... you pay shipping and I'll send it all.

Locust would have made my list but I don't get much if at all.
Yer doin it wrong. They come out much cleaner, not perfect, but much better when splitting on the rings, and when split at angles. It is best to let these problem woods such as Elm, Cottonwood, Sycamore... dry in full sun as firewood length rounds for a few months, so the fibers aren't as flexible, and natural splits form for you to split on.

How to split stringy twisted grain and green wood.jpg

Besides, strings make great kindling

Attachments

• How to split stringy twisted grain and green wood.jpg
    How to split stringy twisted grain and green wood.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 6

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Snake!
I got a truck load of gum last season...1st time I've ever fooled with it.
Do you burn it by itself or mix and match it with other wood...is it a decent burner?
Good seeing ya bud!:applaudit:
It’s ok I like to mix it so it’s honestly not great. I’ve burned it by itself It doesn’t lay down a good bed of coals really. It just had its own way of burning. Some say it’s terrible but I end up with some every year. It’s best to use up the next year. It doesn’t really hold up like oak or cherry in the pike. Edit pile

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Number one best "Oh crap I'm outta wood" is Popple(Poplar), can literately cut down and process a green tree and burn it immediately, will stay lit and make coals.
I imagine in a hot fire it will dry out fast enough, but balsam poplar (cottonwood) I have found is no help at all in the firebox. It can dry out just enough to burn by Feb if split by Nov, but from my experience it was a challenge getting that stuff to burn anywhere near green. I'd put in a few hardwood pieces with one cottonwood, and the hardwood would burn up first. This is in a stove insert, not a big furnace.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yer doin it wrong. They come out much cleaner, not perfect, but much better when splitting on the rings, and when split at angles. It is best to let these problem woods such as Elm, Cottonwood, Sycamore... dry in full sun as firewood length rounds for a few months, so the fibers aren't as flexible, and natural splits form for you to split on.

View attachment 205286

Besides, strings make great kindling
That's a great diagram. Trying to explain to someone how to actually tackle a round & read the wood is a difficult task in words. I've tried too do it & I'm not sure it was helpful. But that diagram speaks a 1000 words & gives someone a starting point. Its all about following the lines. Without good technique as far as strike placement, difficult hardwoods can become possible.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 34T of hydro pressure. If you think this is splitting fine, more power to ya.
View attachment 205278
View attachment 205277
View attachment 205276

My wedge goes 1/2-1" into oak and the round pulls easily apart. Piss on elm, next time I run into some let me know... you pay shipping and I'll send it all.

Locust would have made my list but I don't get much if at all.
If you let it freeze ut splits real easy.
Hickory is also stringy as heck like elm

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could always noodle it...
and after burning the ash lays in my wood/coal grates and won’t shake through. I have to break up with a poker.
I've had two run-ins with it. I'm a snob at this point and won't bring any home with me. Too many other great woods around us to deal with it.