What's on your bench?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A muff mod, base gasket delete and timing advance can really wake up some saws … sometimes even make them competitive with ported ones.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about lower trans? Those weren’t touched either

Here's a jug that I believe is from the same builder as Kevin's - it has some exhaust and intake timing and some work to the lower transfers but the uppers are stock.

A Canuckian member gave it to me because the saw it was on was smashed, but I never let a few missing cooling fins bother me. I put about 200 hours on this saw
on a hazard tree falling project I had in the south Cascades on federal ground. I ran a Bailey's dual-ring Wiseco piston in it and it did pretty good.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was fed a steady diet of 89 octane ethanol-free fuel and Stihl Ultra @40:1. There was some blow-by on the Wiseco piston but not too bad.
The ring grooves are clean and free of carbon. The rings show some wear but would likely still be serviceable for another 100-150 hours.

There's perceptible wear on the skirts, but otherwise not too bad for 200 hours of long bar work in dead wood.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was fed a steady diet of 89 octane ethanol-free fuel and Stihl Ultra @40:1. There was some blow-by on the Wiseco piston but not too bad.
The ring grooves are clean and free of carbon. The rings show some wear but would likely still be serviceable for another 100-150 hours.

There's perceptible wear on the skirts, but otherwise not too bad for 200 hours of long bar work in dead wood.

Not much to complain about there.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rainy, wet, cool day here today, so I worked in the garage. Put new upper vibration dampeners in two of my Asian saws (the OEM ones make a big difference), added an outer spike to an Asian 440 BB, and further advanced the timing (went from .020 off the key to .030). Saw started w/o biting me and had VG throttle response. Was pouring rain, so I did not put it in any wood, but I had to start it up anyway cause I have the patience of a 6 year old!

The idle increased a slight, bit, so I lowered it, but everything else seemed real good … hope it is strong when I get it in some wood!

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rainy, wet, cool day here today, so I worked in the garage. Put new upper vibration dampeners in two of my Asian saws (the OEM ones make a big difference), added an outer spike to an Asian 440 BB, and further advanced the timing (went from .020 off the key to .030). Saw started w/o biting me and had VG throttle response. Was pouring rain, so I did not put it in any wood, but I had to start it up anyway cause I have the patience of a 6 year old!

The idle increased a slight, bit, so I lowered it, but everything else seemed real good … hope it is strong when I get it in some wood!

I would be interested to know if you have made a list up of what OEM parts you feel in needed to do one of these kits Mike, seems you have done quite a few now. Would like to see the cost of a kit and the price of the OEM parts needed to make it a reliable saw, that could help quite a few out I think.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I already did more than that, I made a whole list of stuff you need to do to get it to work. But in answer to your question … take a 440 kit with the New West Big Bore P+C (about $250 delivered when they did the group purchase), OEM Piston Pin bearing $10 Clips $2 Eleastostart pull rope $16, OEM Upper Vibrations Dampener (used/free), AM replacement carb from D Dave (Walbro carb made by ZAMA ($21).

All the rest was labor, but lots more stuff needed work to function properly.

I'll see if I can find my list and post it here.

Read the first page or two of this thread, and you will get the idea. http://opeforum.com/threads/started-asian-440-bb-4-today.15103/

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I already did more than that, I made a whole list of stuff you need to do to get it to work. But in answer to your question … take a 440 kit with the New West Big Bore P+C (about $250 delivered when they did the group purchase), OEM Piston Pin bearing $10 Clips $2 Eleastostart pull rope $16, OEM Upper Vibrations Dampener (used/free), AM replacement carb from D Dave (Walbro carb made by ZAMA ($21).

All the rest was labor, but lots more stuff needed work to function properly.

I'll see if I can find my list and post it here.

Read the first page or two of this thread, and you will get the idea. http://opeforum.com/threads/started-asian-440-bb-4-today.15103/

From what I gather then around $325.00, not bad at all for a reliable saw, labor I don't count as we enjoy the work.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EGR valve on my Dads 2006 Chrysler Pacifica with the 3.5L Mercedes V6 under the hood. I guess in the scheme of things there are worse jobs but having a hard time thinking of one right now. Lost two 1/4" extensions in the abyss, I am sure they are on the cross member somewhere but I absolutely cannot find them with the car on the ground. Going to have to get it in the air and get up underneath it good. Part is on though and car seems to run well, fingers crossed.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a little chatter hand cutting squish, I really need to get set up to cut squish with the lathe..... One of these days....
8657b8283391ffe19a2ff0a25a92d147.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I gather then around $325.00, not bad at all for a reliable saw, labor I don't count as we enjoy the work.

Semi reliable … some of them seem to hold up like OEM, others have occasional/frustrating recoil or carb problems, etc. Then, when I think of throwing in the towel, I see someone had the same crap with OEM!!!

My mind is going 90 MPH right now Dustin, I'm trying to figure what I did or did not do … haunting questions, like did I give the T-4 cylinder enough timing advance … etc, etc!!! Just not enough time in the day!!!

Trying to get ready for CT GTG, and would like things to go well! (and all this rain ain't helpin) !!!

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
At the end of the day, I figure it's a cheap education, and you get something to use/sell when your done, nothing mechanical is ever gonna be issue free, even these new oem saws have some bugs it seems
Semi reliable … some of them seem to hold up like OEM, others have occasional/frustrating recoil or carb problems, etc. Then, when I think of throwing in the towel, I see someone had the same crap with OEM!!!

My mind is going 90 MPH right now Dustin, I'm trying to figure what I did or did not do … haunting questions, like did I give the T-4 cylinder enough timing advance … etc, etc!!! Just not enough time in the day!!!

Trying to get ready for CT GTG, and would like things to go well! (and all this rain ain't helpin) !!!

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a little chatter hand cutting squish, I really need to get set up to cut squish with the lathe..... One of these days....
8657b8283391ffe19a2ff0a25a92d147.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I had my machinist make up a bunch of these for all my most common sized bores. They help cleanup chatter.

They are cut a couple thou less for a nice slip fit.

IMG_20190513_102038.jpg IMG_20190513_102045.jpg