What to order with a Simington 451C

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright fellers, I plan to order a 451C square grinder by the end of the month. I plan to go through Madsens to order it. I’ll be ordering the grinder which should also include the stand and one wheel. I’m gonna also order a blue wheel for better finishes and a silicone carbide dressing brick for rough shaping the grinding wheels. I plan to order a few loops of square ground Oregon chain for my 390 and 462 so that I have something to compare to when I first set it up before converting over my round ground chains. Anything I’m missing that I should add to the order?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The grinder comes with single diamond point dressers for the wheel. There’s a multi point dresser that some say is better.

I’d also pickup a white wheel. They work pretty well for converting from round or fixing rocked cutters

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The grinder comes with single diamond point dressers for the wheel. There’s a multi point dresser that some say is better.

I’d also pickup a white wheel. They work pretty well for converting from round or fixing rocked cutters
I certainly prefer the multi-point.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright fellers, I plan to order a 451C square grinder by the end of the month. I plan to go through Madsens to order it. I’ll be ordering the grinder which should also include the stand and one wheel. I’m gonna also order a blue wheel for better finishes and a silicone carbide dressing brick for rough shaping the grinding wheels. I plan to order a few loops of square ground Oregon chain for my 390 and 462 so that I have something to compare to when I first set it up before converting over my round ground chains. Anything I’m missing that I should add to the order?
If they still have the plastic chain holder you might see if it’s still possible to get the metal one for a silvey, it can be used on the simington and in my opinion it’s way better than the plastic which seems to wear down and change angles. Madsens used to have parts for silveys. Don’t know if they still do.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they still have the plastic chain holder you might see if it’s still possible to get the metal one for a silvey, it can be used on the simington and in my opinion it’s way better than the plastic which seems to wear down and change angles. Madsens used to have parts for silveys. Don’t know if they still do.
I have a Shawn Carr holder on mine

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would get a grey to learn with they are more forgiving while you learn how to not blue your cutters. i use the for fixing damaged chains because i can grind more off faster and not overheat the tooth

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
salmon are the ones i use the most. when im just doing my own chains that havent been damaged in any way. but if they have been rocked really bad or they are someone elses chain they are usually pretty bad and the grey ones dont get the tooth as hot as fast

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The steel ones I make for the Silvey RSII will fit on the Simington, you just have to space it out a little to get it on the arm center line.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The steel ones I make for the Silvey RSII will fit on the Simington, you just have to space it out a little to get it on the arm center line.
Shaun do you make one for .058 as well?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shaun do you make one for .058 as well?

I can, but it sucks. In the past I've just cut both sides for 50g and then ground out the one to 58g. I usually end up shooting the chain holder off my groove grinder a few times, it spat one through the wall once. I think I bought a slitting saw that should make the correct groove but it's a different diameter wheel so I'll have to change my CNC program.

So in short, I can, but I don't really want to.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can, but it sucks. In the past I've just cut both sides for 50g and then ground out the one to 58g. I usually end up shooting the chain holder off my groove grinder a few times, it spat one through the wall once. I think I bought a slitting saw that should make the correct groove but it's a different diameter wheel so I'll have to change my CNC program.

So in short, I can, but I don't really want to.
Is the regular one you make 050/063 like what comes on them or just 050? How much are they?