slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@StihlMagnum440 @MustangMike

I meant to tell y'all that I did get that pleated airfilter before my first job with the saw last weekend and it wouldn't fit! The portion that goes into the cover, not the base, was way too big. A couple min with an angle grinder and I made it fit. It's working well, there were no fines getting past. Pleated works great, it was holding a lot of sawdust and not getting choked up.

20211211_121049.jpg

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, how much stronger did the saw feel in the wood with the BGD?

I haven't put it into wood yet, but I re tuned it yesterday and the low jet is way more responsive. Seemed easier to tune. I might be able to cut some cookies today at the house....but I also just hand filed that chain so it might not be a fair test.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my testing, the Stihl pleated filter ran a little stronger (HD-2), but they cost much more.

Are the pleated hd2 filters larger at the top where the cover fits? Wondering why I had to shave my pleated down so much. It was aftermarket though, both saw and filter, lol.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The OEM ones fit. I have some AM ones that do not fit, and some that do fit.
Glad I got that tree cleaned up. I knew what would happen...Mother Nature...snow. I work through it but lots easier bare ground. I would have had that saw in wood first thing...not much for playing with them cause they are meant to be spitting sawdust and they better do it good. Still snowing so White Christmas..Merry Christmas everyone!tmp-cam-4147642769214407521.jpg

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glad I got that tree cleaned up. I knew what would happen...Mother Nature...snow. I work through it but lots easier bare ground. I would have had that saw in wood first thing...not much for playing with them cause they are meant to be spitting sawdust and they better do it good. Still snowing so White Christmas..Merry Christmas everyone!The bar I am running is some ancient Tiltlon that I made for off a Jonsered that was kicking around, running Oregon semi using 303 SuperTrac Hydraulic. Heavy but no problems. Sharpen Oregon chain with 7/32 at first then use the Stihl 13/64 as teeth wear. Some of that bar oil at $30 gal. Crazy. Everyone has their system. I have the original Stihl bar and three chains with sales slip. View attachment 320538
tmp-cam-1359974857882988357.jpg

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't put it into wood yet, but I re tuned it yesterday and the low jet is way more responsive. Seemed easier to tune. I might be able to cut some cookies today at the house....but I also just hand filed that chain so it might not be a fair test.
Definitely keep posting. Report the sound level ...does the muffler direct sound in one direction so if you are near a neighbor you can point the outlet away from that neighbor?

How are the vibes on the saw?

I dug out my Farmertec kit box and looked at the cylinder to check the stuff you posted.

Last edited:

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@StihlMagnum440

Vibrations are normal compared to oem, sound levels are lower now, I actually prefer the sound with baffled 460, at idle it's less pop pop pop, and more ting ting ting. In the cut it's the same just lower volume. Sound direction is not noticeable.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The MS 440 was the second Farmertec kit I have built (also built a MS 660). I am not sure whether I will build another. There is a lot of inconstancy regarding the parts quality and the parts count. Also, when you add the price of a good bar and chain, $100-200.00 of OEM and quality AM parts such as piston/cylinder, the real cost is $500-$600.00 for the bigger saw kits. This is roughly 1/2 the cost of a near new saw similar to the kit. Building the MS 440 was enjoyable and frustrating at the same time, but definitely not cost effective- it is a hobby. I have learned a lot about saws from the two kits I assembled. However, I will always enjoy my OEM Stihl saws and their reliability.

It is probably going to take improved quality control from Farmertec for me to consider another kit. Also, why no parts list for the kits? Barcoding the parts would make it much easier for Farmertec to track their parts and ensure their kits were complete.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jon
That was a very objective review for someone that spent the time and money to build two kits and I gather spend even more time and money to switch crucial parts to OEM (or at least higher quality AM parts.

Any updates?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have noticed my chain is running on at idle now that I have 15 or so tanks through the saw. My idle is not set too high. I am going to try a nice Oregon rim sprocket (oregon # 38470x) first to see if that clears it up, if not, it's no big deal I will change the clutch. I wanted to convert to rim sprocket even if it's a clutch issue and not the sprocket.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have noticed my chain is running on at idle now that I have 15 or so tanks through the saw. My idle is not set too high. I am going to try a nice Oregon rim sprocket (oregon # 38470x) first to see if that clears it up, if not, it's no big deal I will change the clutch. I wanted to convert to rim sprocket even if it's a clutch issue and not the sprocket.

Having a rim sprocket is nice, but you can order just oem clutch springs and change them out.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are running AM springs on the clutch, that is often the problem, and OEM springs will fix it.

Don't do what I did and wait till you cut your finger with square file pulling a vine out of a running chain!

Luckily it was not too bad, but it did go through my glove and nail, but did not require any medical attention (other than my own).

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to update - The new oregon rim sprocket was a very nice upgrade. The saw actually cuts smoother in my opinion. Chain still runs on, not as bad but it's time to try changing the clutch springs to oem. They are relatively cheap so NBD. Will report once I get that done.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MustangMike
@Maintenance Chief

I finlly took the time to replace the clutch springs with an oem clutch spring set. I found something weird, I was missing a spring! I doubt I installed the clutch with a spring missing, but if I didn't... I have no idea where that spring went. It wasn't inside the clutch area or did I see any damage of a spring flinging around.

Anyways, problem solved and thank y'all for the help!

20220224_193039.jpg

If anyone is doing this job, get a spring tool like this. I had one from my MX days. I don't think it would be possible to install without one.

20220224_192811.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just use a little pic ... I get 4 different ones from HF for $1.99.

Springs often break and disappear. It is nice when they don't do any damage!

I used to make things similar to that for removing the hook from the mouth of Bluefish ... they have teeth and will bite! They were a little too large to use for these springs!