What Stihl trimmer should I get?

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Desert Extrusion is the manufacturer of all of the “Desert” products of trimmer line. It’s been a minute, but I believe the square line was called Diamond Edge.

X-Line cuts grass better, to be honest. The big square line coming out of the Autocut 40-2 just cut stuff like reeds, pigweed and even stuff like Virgin’s Bower better.
Guess I'll get some X-line.

rpmtim

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your FS 91 is a 4 mix, that’s why it does not rev as high as a traditional 2 stroke. A muffler mod is not going to give you the return it would with a 2 stroke trimmer.
Haha I'd had completely forgotten about that, and honestly didn't realize the difference when I bought it. Picked it off the rack only because it was the "smallest" trimmer that would run all the blades.
It does run like a 4 stroke, but runs circles around the 4 stroke Troybilt that had just passed away.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240810_181435.jpg

Small spools white line, true sharp edged square, heavy duty & hard - goes through undergrowth & doesn't break.

Yellow, Husqvarna Penta, star shaped, 5 cornered , kinda soft - cuts really nicely. Will get one OD size up when I use up this spool.

Blue, Dolmar true sharp edged Square-Twisted, silent & very sharp, a bit soft. Unfortunately likes to weld itself within the line head. But a great line for soft grass.

Orange top right, Dolmar "dull" true square. Haven't tried it yet.

The other orange & red lines are all round profile of different OD. Some are quite soft, others rather hard.
They all perform moderately well - no wonder everyone uses them.

Edit:

IMG_20240810_214319~2.jpg

Last edited:

Inlineforagoodtime

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Haha I'd had completely forgotten about that, and honestly didn't realize the difference when I bought it. Picked it off the rack only because it was the "smallest" trimmer that would run all the blades.
It does run like a 4 stroke, but runs circles around the 4 stroke Troybilt that had just passed away.
10 years ago I went to do a muffler mod on my new fs110. When I took the muffler off all I saw was the exhaust valve. Lol, put the muffler back on and went to the internet to figure out what I had bought.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t seen anyone mention a Shindaiwa T302. Literally everything on my property is done with it, too many lava rocks for mower. Easily cuts through anything I throw at it.
View attachment 428980

I run this line with no problems.
View attachment 428981
I have no Shindaiwa sellers near me at all. I’d have to order online or buy used. I love the idea tho and if I did find a Shindaiwa trimmer for sale I’d buy it in almost any condition. However they seem rare around here. I do love Shindaiwa products and have a model 300 chainsaw.
Do you like that oregon gator line? I have a spool of the .85. I don't like it at all. It breaks off way too easy. It got good reviews on Amazon but I don't like it.
I use Oregon line in the blue color and love its durability and all.
I have a FS91R, depending on how you are going to use it, it has the option for bike handles (FS91) for about $40 more. I like the ability to swap between trimmer head or metal blades. If you are going to be using it for a while at a time, I recommend the backpack strap over the sling strap. I also have an EGO trimmer which is battery operated. My wife doesn't like using gas trimmers, but really likes the EGO. It also has an easy loading string head that allows you to feed in a length of line half way and then hit a button on the head and it sucks it in. Ready to use in about 30 seconds.

I don't care for the FS94 with the adjustable trimmer speed, I can adjust speed with the trigger just fine.
Okay 👍🏻 Thanks for letting me know what the speed adjustment is for, lol, I haven’t found it useful just like you, I mean the throttle works just fine like you said

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sorry for forgetting about this thread, must’ve missed a notification. Anyways, I started using the new Stihl FS91 brush cutter with bike handle at work and love it. It’s so much better than a weed whacker for thistles and burdock. Eventually I’ll Ave to buy one. As far as weed whackers go, I would definitely buy a Shindaiwa if one came up for sale locally, but they are rare around here like I said.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Much as I love my Echo and Shindaiwa stuff, I think my next one is going to be an FS-91 with bike handles.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started using the new Stihl FS91 brush cutter with bike handle at work and love it. It’s so much better than a weed whacker for thistles and burdock.
It is good that you are getting to experience the FS91. Just remember if you feel that you might need more power for what you are doing (your personal use), the FS 111 and 131 are just steps up in power from the 91. They all use the same trimmer heads and blades. If you go into any of the professional trimmers above the 131 then the arbor size changes and you will have to get different blades due to the arbor size difference)

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is good that you are getting to experience the FS91. Just remember if you feel that you might need more power for what you are doing (your personal use), the FS 111 and 131 are just steps up in power from the 91. They all use the same trimmer heads and blades. If you go into any of the professional trimmers above the 131 then the arbor size changes and you will have to get different blades due to the arbor size difference)

True but easy to work around. The smaller homeowner machines use a 25.4mm bore (1 inch) The larger professional models use a 20mm (0.787") bore. Although O-chit would not advise it you can easily use a 25.4mm bore blade on a 20mm machine with an adapter washer. I do it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a nice FS 250 but someone needed it more than i did and helped themselves to it. My fault for have it on the bed of my truck.
Wait till the meth head bastards bust out a window in one of your rental properties you are working on and steal your tools. Flickin theives