Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys.

I bought an Echo 2620T back in June to replace a 30 year old Shindaiwa C20 brushcutter/trimmer that was getting very tired.I figured I'd jump up a little in HP(from 21cc-25cc)and I went for the (T) model to get the high-reduction gearhead that everyone's been raving about.

I researched a bunch of different brands and models and eventually chose the Echo for what seemed like good reasons.So far,for regular trimming,I am pretty happy with it.It runs good,has plenty of power and appears well made.One thing I don't like is it feels rather heavier than the spec sheet would lead one to believe and it doesn't do much good for a shoulder injury I got back this winter.I think going away from the bike-handle design was my first mistake,but the high-reduction gearhead isn't offered in a bike-handle configuration.

Today I started a miserable weed-wacking/brushcutting job that I do for a gent every year at the end of August-about 35 hours worth.I brought my new Echo to his house to give it a real test-grass 2-3 feet high and thick like the hair on a dogs back.Well,I can't say as I was too impressed with the way the Echo handled it.It took a lot more work to knock that stuff down than I thought it would.The engine didn't bog,it just struggled to cut the stuff.I had to keep going back over it,again and again.

Then,unexpectedly,the customer shows up and offers to let me use his Stihl FS-110 with bike handles.He bought it about three or four years ago because I told him my Shindaiwa was on the verge of death and he didn't own a decent trimmer.I even suggested he buy the Stihl as they had a good reputation and a good dealership close by.

Well,I decided to do a comparison with my Echo on that tall grass,using the same .095 string ,and I have to say the Stihl kicked the chit out of my Echo.It blasted through that grass considerably easier and was way more comfortable for me with my F'd up shoulder.

I really thought the Echo would be serious competition for the Stihl considering the two engines are almost identical in HP.I thought the Echo could compensate for the torque of the Stihl's 4-mix engine with the high-reduction gearbox,but not so-it was seriously outclassed by the Stihl.It even feels lighter than the Echo and ,on paper,it's not supposed to be.

Is it possible that the high-reduction gearbox is more of a hindrance than a help?Would the standard gearbox from the non-T version produce more output shaft RPMs and actually cut better?

I ordered the blade conversion kit for the Echo,it should be here this week.I think I'm going to save the Echo for the larger-diameter stuff that needs a blade and stick with the Stihl for the grass,it does it so easily.

I shied away from buying a Stihl because of the electronic carb BS they implemented on the new models and the plastic cams don't turn me on.But,my friend is notoriously bad about performing any maintenance on any equipment he owns,the FS110 included,and besides having to have a new carb installed at the end of the first month of use,it has run flawlessly.

Hindsight being 20/20,I think I should have gone with a Stihl.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you’re cutting small saplings and clearing brush is where the T lower RPM with a blade is gonna shine. Cutting thick grass is where the high RPM is gonna be better. I have the Shindaiwa T262 which is the red 2620 and its more than adequate for cutting 3-4 of grass.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both a 2620 and a 2620T. I prefer the 2620 for trimming the lawn. It cuts cleaner. I use the 2620T for the stemmy weeds that grow on the road right of way. The worst part of the echo trimmers is the speed feed head in my opinion. Its bulky and does not hold as much as the husqvarna t35 head. The t35 head performs better for me.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like your findings and after watching a blade review from Project Farm the Echo blade preformed poorly. I'd look for a renegade blade.

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like your findings and after watching a blade review from Project Farm the Echo blade preformed poorly. I'd look for a renegade blade.

Yes,the grass blades that come with the Echo blade conversion kits suck.I have used nothing but the heavy, three- pointed knife blades for grass and weeds for many years.

The Echo dealer wanted $4 more for the kit WITHOUT the blade,than Home Depot wanted for the kit WITH the blade.Homo Depot also shipped to my house for free and the Echo dealer is 40 minutes away-so it was a no-brainer.

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both a 2620 and a 2620T. I prefer the 2620 for trimming the lawn. It cuts cleaner.

Yeah,that's what I noticed-the Stihl FS110 cuts much cleaner in a single pass than my Echo.

Maybe I'll just buy the standard ratio gearbox and slam that on there next year.I can also pick up a bike-handlebar kit for a little under $100.By the time I get done,I'll have more than the cost of an FS111 into it.A used FS110 would probably make more sense.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked up that 110 and its got another 5cc over that Echo. That could be enough of a difference.

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked up that 110 and its got another 5cc over that Echo. That could be enough of a difference.

My Echo is rated at 1.35 hp and the FS110, 1.4 hp.The Stihl,being a 4-stroke,I would expect to have more torque,but power-wise I couldn't really detect any difference in use.The Stihl,for some reason just cuts better.I'm beginning to think,like I said above,that the higher reduction of the gearhead on the Echo,and probabably (?)slower output RPMs,might have to do with that.
I just looked at the specs for the FS110 and the engine is limited to 10,200 RPMs.The Echo,according to the owner's manual,maxes out at 11,000 RPMs,but the service manual says it can be as much as 11,900 RPMs for the 2620 (T) version.

Can't really say what the difference is.I like the Echo,can't say much bad about it,I'm just surprised that it doesn't stack up well against the FS110 in high grass.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back when I owned a pas2620, I had both the regular and high torque trimmer attachments. My old Stihl 91r stomped the 2620, whether it the regular or high torque attachments. It’s probably due to the 4mix engines on the Stihl.

Yes, it is pretty apples to oranges comparing a 2t to a 4t trimmer. 4 strokes just have a lot of torque. Real good for heavy thick grass.

stihl here

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a 3020T. The slower speed might work better with a blade but the higher speed works better using line. I like the trimmer but may get a high speed gearbox for it.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I researched a weed eater this year, only a few people that cut very little
Liked the Echo.
Even the real heavy duty ones were a let down, am going Husqvarna
545, it’s their biggest non AT model.
And I really like Echo Chainsaws, had 3, will have more,
but under sustained load the strimmers are not up to it,
the strimmers will do if you have real light work and get a deal on one,
I would not buy one based on what I read about them, definitely not
Up to 2 or 3 ft grass packed tight or not, I would even be weary of the Husqvarna
545 in that stuff, the strimmer will never get a break, heat will rise and the end will come.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 2620 is used specifically for tall thick grass. Has been for 3 years. Still runs great.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yup...the 4mix motors are well hated around these parts...I kindda like them in the right use... I have a redmax tiny SOB trimmer I use for light stuff and a 4stroke Makita for really light cuts...loafs around at idle...but the 110rx comes out for the bigger longer stuff. Valves be damned.

stihl here

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 2620 is used specifically for tall thick grass. Has been for 3 years. Still runs great.
I like Echo trimmers and blowers but never had one of their saws.
Bought a Stihl that needed the carb rebuilt off Facebook which was a lot newer than my SRM210. I had the intention of keeping it but once I got it running I just didn't like it. I love the new 3020, just wish I had got the standard speed gearbox. My dealer must have known something because they offered to pay the sales tax if I bought it instead of the standard speed model. Should have recognized that I was being set up but didn't. It has so much power I couldn't tell when the string needed bumping so I cut the shroud around the string and added about a 5 inch piece of sheet metal so I could run the line longer. That helped a lot but I still may get the standard gearbox.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like Echo trimmers and blowers but never had one of their saws.
Bought a Stihl that needed the carb rebuilt off Facebook which was a lot newer than my SRM210. I had the intention of keeping it but once I got it running I just didn't like it. I love the new 3020, just wish I had got the standard speed gearbox. My dealer must have known something because they offered to pay the sales tax if I bought it instead of the standard speed model. Should have recognized that I was being set up but didn't. It has so much power I couldn't tell when the string needed bumping so I cut the shroud around the string and added about a 5 inch piece of sheet metal so I could run the line longer. That helped a lot but I still may get the standard gearbox.

I bought a 2620u brushcutter. It cut with a string real well but lacked azz when i had a blade on it. I bought a 2620T and noticed it had alot of azz but tore the grass instead of cutting it clean. Swapped heads and now i have an awesome trimmer and an awesome brushcutter!

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well,the vast majority of the reviews and owner's opinions were very positive concerning the 2620 models and Echo trimmers in general.I read many negative things about the Stihls that bothered me and same for the Huskys.I had to make a choice,and the Echo had the FEWEST things I didn't like.I like the trimmer very much,it just doesn't appear to be the beast Echo makes it out to be.

No matter what you buy,there's going to a whole "anti-(pick a brand) group of people who'll gladly tell you that it's the biggest POS ever made-same old Ford vs Chevy vs Ram type BS.In my opinion,all OPE is pretty much low-grade quality today.The manufacturers don't want it to last 30 years like my old Shindaiwa C20-they want you buying another as soon as the warranty expires-that's how they stay in business.

If I can find a dealer who's willing to order it,I'm going to get the bike-handle conversion kit for my 2620.At least that'll make it more comfortable for me to use.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,the vast majority of the reviews and owner's opinions were very positive concerning the 2620 models and Echo trimmers in general.I read many negative things about the Stihls that bothered me and same for the Huskys.I had to make a choice,and the Echo had the FEWEST things I didn't like.I like the trimmer very much,it just doesn't appear to be the beast Echo makes it out to be.

No matter what you buy,there's going to a whole "anti-(pick a brand) group of people who'll gladly tell you that it's the biggest POS ever made-same old Ford vs Chevy vs Ram type BS.In my opinion,all OPE is pretty much low-grade quality today.The manufacturers don't want it to last 30 years like my old Shindaiwa C20-they want you buying another as soon as the warranty expires-that's how they stay in business.

If I can find a dealer who's willing to order it,I'm going to get the bike-handle conversion kit for my 2620.At least that'll make it more comfortable for me to use.

Got to watch those reviews too. Some idiot buys a top of the line stihl to impress his neighbors but has no idea where the pull cord is. Gets on his keyboard and bad mouths stihl for producing a product that wont start!

I will say i have not been impressed with the midgrade Husqvarna trimmers on the last few i have had. Not terribly impressed with other husqvarna products either. But thats another thread.

I do feel the build quality of the echo equipment is higher than the other big two. Apples to apples of course. Echo has never really been know for best power to weight. But reliability.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Echo is rated at 1.35 hp and the FS110, 1.4 hp.The Stihl,being a 4-stroke,I would expect to have more torque,but power-wise I couldn't really detect any difference in use.The Stihl,for some reason just cuts better.I'm beginning to think,like I said above,that the higher reduction of the gearhead on the Echo,and probabably (?)slower output RPMs,might have to do with that.
I just looked at the specs for the FS110 and the engine is limited to 10,200 RPMs.The Echo,according to the owner's manual,maxes out at 11,000 RPMs,but the service manual says it can be as much as 11,900 RPMs for the 2620 (T) version.

Can't really say what the difference is.I like the Echo,can't say much bad about it,I'm just surprised that it doesn't stack up well against the FS110 in high grass.
I think your right there, the Stihl has a little more power,
a little more torque, and a little more speed can be kept up,
it all adds up to a slightly better cut then the lower geared Echo.