High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

stihl 029 easy pull starting, sticking ring?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I borrowed a friends stihl 029 a few years ago, great saw. My luck the crank seal let go after using it. This was a few years ago at least. So I found hlsproparts or whoever, pulled the whole thing apart and replaced the crank seals. But I don't remember back then if I also replaced the piston ring, and or piston. Positive I did not replace the cylinder.

Fast forward to now, borrowed the saw again, ran good. But after running for ~20 minutes light-ish duty, refill with fuel and would not start. Pull starting was easy, like no compression. Let cool, that night I put 2-cycle oil in through spark plug hole, then did short compression rope start pulls till I felt what ought to be normal. Got the saw started.

Once running, it runs great. When walking past it on garage floor, I start it to check, and like 2 times out of 20 over last few days it gave me issues starting feeling like no compression.

I'm not thrilled about having to pull the whole thing apart, again, but I would given it's an awesome saw that I rely on.

Any recomendations on what I should do repair wise on it, if anything? I plan on cutting one more tree with it in next few days, so I'll consciously observe its power this time cutting 15" diameter vs just the limbs like last time. Anything to be mindful of, to give me better confidence that I should tear it apart again, and if so replace both piston and ring, and cylinder, and if so what brand?

... my poulan 18" crap saw, and my weed trimmer, feel like they have more compression rip the starter rope out of your hand when pulling than this 029 saw... i can use just two fingers around the rope handle to pull it even slowish under compression... but sometimes it'll give that strong compression feel... not sure how else to describe with words

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may want to pull the muffler and check for aluminum transfer/scoring before using it on that one more tree.