What oil is best? and what ratio?

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tolerances in engines are still on par with engines form the 60's not much has changed there.
It's a lot more involved than I'm willing to get into and above my pay grade...But things like better supported/made cranks with no flex same as cams- more efficient oil pumps, uniform machining tolerances not varying form engine to engine the list goes on..
This is just some of how they can get away with running thinner oil to meet emissions reducing parasitic losses from thicker oil.
Run 0W20 in a 350 Chevy from the 70’s for 10,000-12,000 miles and get back with me……

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive had enough K&N experience to know I wouldn't run one again. They sell an outer oiled foam of their own "for dusty conditions". Ive seen dust in the tube and on my throttle plate in my Jeep. 5000 street miles and 4-500 off-road.
It’s like running a velocity stack and feeling good about it……

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, if you don’t put the spray NGLI 2 on it you will dust the internals…..
There is one on my old f150. I haven't oiled it in years. Guess I need to put that on my to do list.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run 0W20 in a 350 Chevy from the 70’s for 10,000-12,000 miles and get back with me……
It would destroy it I personally wouldn't run thin oil in older engines.
No one actually adheres to these crazy oil change intervals vehicle and oil manufacturers are pushing now day's do they? Doesn't take much digging to find out the damage it does to engines lol

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one actually adheres to these crazy oil change intervals vehicle and oil manufacturers are pushing now day's do they? Doesn't take much digging to find out the damage it does to engines lol
If the clearances haven’t changed since the 60’s why wouldn’t you? My 4Runner has had 10,000 mile OCI full synthetic as specified in the manual since new in 2012, it’s currently at 130K miles…..

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oil is cheap to many on the internet, I get it. But until your oil budget is $38MM per year you are only trying to convince yourself, not others who know. STLE has been working for years with ASE as well as others to perfect the algorithms for oil change intervals based on the way an individual drives or operates their vehicle. I’m no tree hugger, but I am a conservationist, if 1 oil change per year will do and keep my vehicle running to 300,000 plus miles, I’m all in.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually you would be quite surprised how different a modern engine is clearance wise, it is all due to lubricants finally catching up to the application…..
I'm just going off engine builders going back though recommend clearances from the factory.
Over 40 years back for V8's, 25 years for V6's and I forget how far back for 4 cylinders. All seem to have stayed close or the same as original recommended factory clearances through the years there doesn't seem to be this big shift to tighter clearances everyone is talking about.
Like I said I'm no expert just find this stuff interesting.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just going off engine builders going back though recommend clearances from the factory.
Over 40 years back for V8's, 25 years for V6's and I forget how far back for 4 cylinders. All seem to have stayed close or the same as original recommended factory clearances through the years there doesn't seem to be this big shift to tighter clearances everyone is talking about.
Like I said I'm no expert just find this stuff interesting.
As do I, 5000 mile oil change intervals in throttle body injection vehicles was a milestone. Now when I change my oil with 10-11,000 miles on it I wonder why I don’t have a sample pump and blackstone account. The oil probably could make it to 20,000 miles, this wasn’t possible even 15 years ago. Did lubricants catch up to the application, did the application get much better, or is it a combination of both? The answer is all of the above.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The maintenance minder is interesting. On our 09, driven by my wife almost exclusively, comes on around 6-7,000. The 2016, same engine as the 09, will get 9-10,000 miles. The 09 came with 5w20 dino oil as factory fill. The 2016 with 0w20 synthetic. It obvious they have updated the algorithm for Honda 1.8 liters. The 2020 3.5 v6 honda just hit 5000 miles and 50% on the minder. 3000 of that were towing a small camper.
Look at the years when the API specs changed, there is your answer. My 2020 company ride F250 4X4 with a 6.2 gas engine is averaging 9-11K mile oil change intervals per the minder, which is what we change by, not miles.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im sure that is it because she drives them both and the newer, synthetic filled rig gets more miles on the minder. Always.
The wife’s 2020 Tahoe is around 12k or better for oil change intervals. AI (artificial intelligence in machinery) is here and making huge impacts. It doesn’t apply to simple 2 stroke saws, but the M tronic and Autotune it absolutely does. Henry Ford used to go to the junkyard and see what didn’t wear out on the model T and model A………Not so he could pat himself on the back for making a fine automobile, but rather what parts/components he could cheapen up to make more profit. Given this is the Oil thread, I would say Stihl is there with the Ultra……

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've worked in the car industry for the last few year's what an eye opener.
Without doubt it's one of the biggest scam con rip off industries out there, yet the never ending consumer sheep lap this chit up without question not to mention get into massive debt for it lol

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ratio is the most important part of the oil mix.

Yep, surprise, surprise, more oil equals more lubrication. When I raced motorcycles that was what worked. If you ran more oil on your chain, the chain would last longer. If you put more oil on your air filter, it would block more debris. If you flushed more oil through the engine, it would last longer.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a 1967 valiant out of a junk yard one summer and started piling up the miles on it, ( needed a wheel bearing).
Anyway I was out at 2am in the middle of the mountains in Pennsylvania and she started to get clackey , I pulled over and the danm rear of the oil pan gasket blew out! I had 1 quart of oil in the trunk and poured it in and drove 20 miles through mountain roads to a gas station.( before cell phones).
Im not sure how long it ran on 1 quart or less of oil ? But I put another 12,000 miles on that car then sold it to a buddy.
Whatever anybody thinks the tolerance of their "new" cars are I'm sure the slant 6 says GFY to them.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Synthetic Oils make a HUGE difference in change intervals, as does the EFI and computer controlled engines.

Let's face it, the old mechanical carbs let lots of fuel get into the oil.

IMO, the current synthetic oil is better at 15,000 miles than the old dyno oil was at 2,500.

I used to change the dyno oil in my carbureted Mustangs every 2,500 (or earlier). When I got my 1992 T-Bird Super Coupe (V-6 SC w/5 speed manual) I changed the oil every 15,000 miles and put 256,000 miles on it before a shear pin on the crank failed (not a bearing) connected to the crank sensor. And I went through my divorce when I had that car, so it got the snot beat out of it, and it weighed 3,800 lbs (had IRS).