What octane is best, and why

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are many videos of chainsaw teardowns with saber at 80:1. It's not as catastrophic as you would like to imagine. I take it you're a "change your vehicle oil at 3,000 miles or it will blow up no matter what the bottle says" kind of guy.

That’s not me, I could care less what the bottle says. I do look at specs. Would rather go by hours. Have done oil analysis on my dirtymax. Do believe guys that run 5+ gallons of mix through chainsaws daily know what works.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Modern pump gas is extremely volatile and evaporates quickly, yet it burns incredibly dirty!

My dad has an oldschool little handheld gasoline flamethrower/torch.
Using current pump fuel it clogged the nozzle with carbon every couple minutes and my dad was standing in a thick black cloud of smoke.
He was shocked how unclean modern gasoline burns in an open flame.

Not something You'd expect from gasoline considering it wasn't doing that decades ago!

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are many videos of chainsaw teardowns with saber at 80:1. It's not as catastrophic as you would like to imagine. I take it you're a "change your vehicle oil at 3,000 miles or it will blow up no matter what the bottle says" kind of guy.

What are the benefits of running 80:1? I can only think of one cost saving money using less oil.
What about ring seal @ 80:1? all the dyno test I've seen over the years show more oil = better ring seal which results in the engine making more power its not all just about oiling the bottom end.
That vid of a saw run on 80:1 is nothing special going on if anything it shows it needs more oil.
4T's have straight oil wiped on the bores resulting in a very good ring seal that must freak some guy's out! since oil is bad for engines lol

Running 80:1 makes about as much sense as idling a saw for a tank of fuel to seat the rings IMHO lol

The cheap mineral I run at 25 :1 is probably still cheaper running costs than that 80:1 oil.
My air filters are filthy but my piston aren't all scratched up? my combustion chambers are very clean, exhaust ports have bugger all carbon and I never have to clean spark arresters.
Going on how this high hr 1st gen 880 looks on the inside I'd say it looks a lot better than what that 80:1 saw has going on.
Note this saw hadn't been started in over a year and a half when I pulled it down all the bottom end oil has pooled in the bottom of crankcase.
20200204_162641.jpg20200207_171129 (2).jpg20200209_151224.jpg20200209_151315.jpg
20200205_162308.jpg

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I change the oil in my automobiles every 2k, tractors every 30 hours, air cooled engines every 15 hours, and use 40:1 in all my 2 strokes. The one and only engine I've ever worn out was my Poulan weedwacker after way more hours of use than most commercial machines will ever see. My 1998 Mazda 626 has over 340k on the clock and still runs as good as it did when my sister bought it in 2001. I know what works and I ain't changing.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I change the oil in my automobiles every 2k, tractors every 30 hours, air cooled engines every 15 hours, and use 40:1 in all my 2 strokes. The one and only engine I've ever worn out was my Poulan weedwacker after way more hours of use than most commercial machines will ever see. My 1998 Mazda 626 has over 340k on the clock and still runs as good as it did when my sister bought it in 2001. I know what works and I ain't changing.
I’m not telling you to change what you’re doing…but every 2k in your car? That’s a bit of a waste imo. Like I said do what makes you happy. And no I don’t follow manufactures recommendations I think they’re too long. But 5k with a quality oil is fine for a standard automobile.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As an engine wears, combustion byproducts slip past the rings and valve guides. This causes the oil to load up with contaminants faster than a new engine would. People can do what they want to. I really don't mind frequent oil changes, gives me a chance to inspect everything.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As an engine wears, combustion byproducts slip past the rings and valve guides. This causes the oil to load up with contaminants faster than a new engine would. People can do what they want to. I really don't mind frequent oil changes, gives me a chance to inspect everything.

In all honesty if we could stop friction in motors they would never wear out. Moly is a good friction fighter. I've got 327k miles on my pickup and change the oil ever 5 to 6k miles.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you using a moly supplement?
Just started this oil change. My brother has a pickup with lifter chatter. When he uses moly it gone.

Just realized the way that post was worded made it look like I used moly for all those miles. I have already noticed the engine is smoother.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just started this oil change. My brother has a pickup with lifter chatter. When he uses moly it gone.

Just realized the way that post was worded made it look like I used moly for all those miles. I have already noticed the engine is smoother.
What are you using?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is rather fortunate that it's cost prohibitive to ship ethanal fuel to Alaska....all our fuel is "corn squeezins" free.... If it wasn't for government subsidies ethanal fuel would be largely non-existent in the US.

I run 87octane in all my gas engines. Don't own anything with high enough compression to warrant otherwise.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is rather fortunate that it's cost prohibitive to ship ethanal fuel to Alaska....all our fuel is "corn squeezins" free.... If it wasn't for government subsidies ethanal fuel would be largely non-existent in the US.

I run 87octane in all my gas engines. Don't own anything with high enough compression to warrant otherwise.

Thats the short and the the sweet of it when it come to ethanol fuel. It's not cost effective.

What are you using?

Schaeffers Moly EP Oil Treatment.