Husqvarna CCC Ebay Store DHS Online Store

What is your preference for a concealed carry weapon?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Sports' started by skippy, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter Air Force Redneck

I shot a 27 once, and it definitely had some bark, and wasn't the most fun thing. The Kahr (CW 40?) was 4x worse though. Hell, even my G23 Gen IV sucked to shoot. Between it, an original XD 5.25", a XD-M 4.5", a XD Subcompact, a FNX compact, Sig P250 compact, and P320 full-size, the glock was hands-down the worst to shoot. Between the ergos, and the felt recoil, I just couldn't make myself like it. Between Dad, two good friends, and I, we have/had all of them in 40 (I sold the Glock) and compared them regularly.

The Sig is a similar round, and I like it alot, but the short neck makes reloading a PITA.

srb08 and USMC615 like this.
  2. sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun Well-Known OPE Member

My son loaned me his FNX-45 for a while. I like it ok but a little more barrel wouldn't hurt my feelings.
    img20200320_200756.jpg

srb08 and Locust Cutter like this.
  3. crowslayer17

crowslayer17 Well-Known OPE Member

I've had a Kahr CW-9 for several years and have put a lot of rounds through it. It shoots great and has never had a failure. I wouldn't let that .40 scare you away from the 9 if you think you might like one. I was really surprised how well I liked their trigger, but it is smooth and fast. From my experience I would highly recommend it.

srb08 likes this.
  4. full chizel

full chizel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can buy a 9 mm barrel that will drop right in the .40.

Locust Cutter and srb08 like this.
  5. srb08

srb08 Doesn't play well with others

I have several Glocks, 17, 19, 21, 2x-22, 34 & 43. I like them all.
    The 27 is the one exception. For some reason I couldn't shoot it.

Locust Cutter likes this.
  6. Locust Cutter

Well, we may not agree on Glocks, but we seem to share a fondness for powerful wheelguns!!! Te differences that make this world a great place!! I WILL get to MO to try your Linebaugh one of these days!

srb08 likes this.
  7. Locust Cutter

Yes you can, but I'd like something smaller/more discreet than my P250. It's roughly the size of a G23, and I'm looking for something a bit closer to the Hellcat/G42/43, P365 class. The 365 is just too' small for my hands/I have problems with the controls. The 42 and 43 shoot well enough, I just don't like the sights and trigger. The XD-S isn't bad, but the shape of the grip, doesn't line up, so I think I'm between a Hellcat or possibly the FN-C.

srb08 likes this.
  8. birdmeter

birdmeter Pinnacle OPE Member

well i kinda like the 27 . my wife likes the 27 with crimson trace.if you see the topic of this post it conceal carry not shooting much.conceal carry you pull it you gonna shoot another person 40 is a round that proly stop all threat.and i pray no body has to stop a threat ever.but a 40 is what will stop a threat.

Locust Cutter and srb08 like this.
  9. srb08

I understand your dislike of Glocks. I had a G17 back in the early 90's and absolutely hated it. I thought it was clunky, ugly and hated the trigger. It wasn't until a friend, who's a govt contractor and firearms instructor taught me how to love a Glock, that I bought another.

Locust Cutter likes this.
  10. srb08

If you're comfortable with the G27, that's great. It has a lot of firepower in a small package.

11. Locust Cutter

I like 40 a lot, and am not arguing here. But, after 20 years in the Air Force (ANG), and multiple years on the shooting team (plus 25 years with Security Forces), I know what I define as functional accuracy and practice. If I can't practice relatively comfortably, I'm not going to shoot well when the chips are down. I too' pray to God that I never have to use a firearm for its principle purpose, but I intend to be VERY proficient with what I carry, or I won't carry it. Too much is on the line should a failure happen at the worst possible moment.

I think there's a missing element to the discussion that many people have when talking about perceived recoil. It's not just the total volume, but the weight/moment and rate of delivery. For instance, I'd MUCH rather shot my 4" 629 S&W with 300gr+ handloads cruising between 850-1200sh FPS, as opposed to the bread and butter hot 240gr loads cooking out much faster. The heavy loads are push, where the 240's are quite snappy, and far less comfortable/fun for me. Heck, I'd rather shoot 50rds of 325gr 480 Ruger out of a 5"+ SRH or Bisley BH, than 240's in my Smith. No different than the felt difference between a 3.5" shell in a 12ga vs a 10ga. The 10 will usually be more comfortable due to the lower pressure spike.

I can pick up my 357, 44, Dad's 1911, or my P250 and quickly put good center mass hits on an old B24 silhouette out to 30 yards. A pistol like that, I intend to make at least 15yds.

srb08 likes this.
  12. Locust Cutter

I respect them, I've just never liked them a much. Now, I WILL say that after shooting a (late firend's) Gen III G20, that I'll either end up with a G20, or G40 eventually. I shot that 20 (and his 21C) VERY well, after I mentally got past the feeling that I was holding onto a plastic 2x4. It was surprisingly soft on the recoil, and the 10mm is a hell of a round. I would have to do a different trigger, sights, and either a Lone Wolf, or other barrel with standard rifling so I could also load hardcast lead. That's like having a high-cap 357 that doesn't weight much.

srb08 likes this.
  13. crowslayer17

crowslayer17 Well-Known OPE Member

G20 is nice. I'd like to try some of the newer 10s. For some reason the XDm is calling my name. I think it would be hard to beat the Dan Wesson if you weren't looking for the extra capacity.
    I'd really like to get my hands on some of those newer Walthers (9mm) too.

srb08 and Locust Cutter like this.
  14. Locust Cutter

I'd like to try the M in 10mm to see how well I like it, as I DO like the M. A P320 in 10 would be fine too. Walther is making a lot of good stuff, and I really like their CCP, but it's not as thin as it looks for a single stack. It IS very soft shooting though, and the 2 I've tried both shot very well! CZ is making good stuff under the D.W banner, but it'll be awhile before I buy another handgun north of 1K, and I still have my eye on Bisley gripped BFR, or a SRH in either 454 Casull or 475/480.

I' still waiting fr my shoulder to finish healing from surgery, before I wring out my new-to-me D.E. 50AE, so that ought to keep me entertained for a good bit.

srb08 likes this.