High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What is the easy way to clean up case halves/saws?

fin460

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate elbow grease, I'm just lazy I guess. I want to know how to split a saw, and set the cases in something gentle to clean them.

I am planning on boiling some in an old turkey boiler/deep pan fish cooker. Unless someone thinks that might be a bad idea.

Also what solutions, I was just thinking dawn dish soap.

Any ideas on how to clean the rest of the parts as well?

ELECT6845

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hot water and some mild degreaser works great. On the old case half gaskets I use some very light grit emery cloth on a split mandrel. It will take the old gasket off in a hurry without removing any material from the case half.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate elbow grease, I'm just lazy I guess. I want to know how to split a saw, and set the cases in something gentle to clean them.

I am planning on boiling some in an old turkey boiler/deep pan fish cooker. Unless someone thinks that might be a bad idea.

Throw some mean green in your boiling pot and have a hay day! :)

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

O and I have a couple here for ya to do while your at it! :)

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dishwasher!!! FTW. Seriously they work great. I've done this with several saws. I've also used the BBQ to bake the fresh paint and for heating case halves before installing bearings. Laugh if you want I know it sounds funny but trust me it works

fin460

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to have an USC some day, especially large enough to put case halves in, where do you get them at and what brand?

fin460

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
O and I have a couple here for ya to do while your at it! :)

If it works great on mine, I'll cook you some. might as well fry some fish in the fish cooker pan as well, hopefully we will have thick enough ice soon to try and catch some.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
When I split the cases on an 066 I heated the case up around the bearing(oil seal in or out..don't matter they're getting replaced anyhow) and hammered on the crankshaft and plop....bearing came right out...same with the other side...as far as cleaning...a real easy and simply way( gloves or a rag are recommended) is to heat the case up and once it starts to smoke a bit drown it in brake cleaner....works Really nice. Then blow it with air and cool it off a bit. I then will give it a second wash with clean solvent and dry it. Made the cases look spotless. Probably should have power coated them while I was at it. lol I did replace the bearings on this so I wasn't worried about the old ones either. Long as I could pull them off ok with a puller( which worked out fine) I was happy. One thing to note when putting the saw back together...you'll have to heat the case up around where the bearing is and if you get it hot enough it'll fall right in with minimal help. You may notice that the crankshaft is hard to spin; that will be because it's not centered so don't be afraid to hammer on each end to center it.....I would also do that while things are still warm. Oh yea....use a plastic hammer. lol! That's how I did it anyhow.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea what box my USC is in so I've been using the dishwasher this year. I'm amazed it does such a good job, maybe a crevice here or there that needs a pick.

fin460

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been wanting to replace our working dishwasher, just for this purpose, but my saw shop doesn't have water supply, just a hydrant at the corner of the building, and I really only work on saws in the shope when its cold out. I'm not about to use the actual dishwasher for cleaning saws.

fin460

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I ever built a saw shop, it would have an actual dishwasher in it, with heavy duty access. probably come in handy for lots of other things.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I changed out our old dishwasher and installed it in the basement. I put some simple green in as I was worried about the caustic in dishwasher det. Any other suggestions?

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dump a gallon of kerosene in a oil drain pan and let em soak. Hit the high spots with a paintbrush and they come out nice and clean. I had a parts washer but it took up too much room and I didn't use it that much. I think a bench top model would be handy and easy to store. That dishwasher idea has me thinking.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to figure out a permanent way to counter weight it though. I have a large chunk of firewood on it for temporarily permanent. If you open the door too fast it will tip forward.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to figure out a permanent way to counter weight it though. I have a large chunk of firewood on it for temporarily permanent. If you open the door too fast it will tip forward.
One of the old portable units would be the cats a$$.