RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NO Politics...
We all do and use what we feel is best. Plain and simple...
I've never tried Rapeseed oil. If I did and it was cheap and I liked it I'd still be using it today.
I buy the cheapest bar oil I can find. Which has been TSC. I buy a whole bunch when it's on sale.
It's been good for me...

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NO Politics...
We all do and use what we feel is best. Plain and simple...
I've never tried Rapeseed oil. If I did and it was cheap and I liked it I'd still be using it today.
I buy the cheapest bar oil I can find. Which has been TSC. I buy a whole bunch when it's on sale.
It's been good for me...

Well, that's hardly arguing.
I have heard that TSC upper management eat babies for their stem cells.
Just sayin...

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried to use some fvp bar oil from menards when it was 0 degrees F, didn't pour out of the jug. Summer blend tall timber oil from fleetfarm did pour, so I used that instead.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried to use some fvp bar oil from menards when it was 0 degrees F, didn't pour out of the jug. Summer blend tall timber oil from fleetfarm did pour, so I used that instead.
You need scissors to cut the fvp stream when it’s cold. A cup of diesel per gallon works well to thin it down

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I don’t know if it really matters, but when cutting ash I often get a lot of black gummy crap building up on chain and bar.

The splash of diesel fuel does seem to keep the chain cleaner as well.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certain additives in lubes/oils make it stick at different rates. There really is no debate. I'm not trying to say what you do is wrong... whatever you find best, do it.
The more your bar lubricant sticks to the chain, the less you need to apply.
I’d run the piss outta that in my gearboxes.
Looks like good stuff. I doubt that is tacifiers though. Whatever that stuff is I’ll bet is very expensive.

Start at 1:48 if it doesn't automatically.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wolverine that looks like great gear oil. I was suggesting that the stuff in 5$ a gallon bar oil isn’t remotely close to the chemical make up of that stuff. I’m not a believer in lucas stuff either. I’ve used lucas oil stabilizer but when I drain my vehicles it seems broken down. Like the tach is gone. I drain my oil cold sometimes.

I’m breaking balls here fellas. I just don’t think the tac in some cheap bar oil helps much on a warm bar and chain. Maybe if I milled I would see it but even on 32” bars. (Longest I own and use ). I can’t see where I’ve ever had lube issues.

you aren’t wrong. But I don’t think there’s a correct answer here. Just so long as you aren’t burning bars and tie straps up. Mission accomplished

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wolverine that looks like great gear oil. I was suggesting that the stuff in 5$ a gallon bar oil isn’t remotely close to the chemical make up of that stuff. I’m not a believer in lucas stuff either. I’ve used lucas oil stabilizer but when I drain my vehicles it seems broken down. Like the tach is gone. I drain my oil cold sometimes.

I’m breaking balls here fellas. I just don’t think the tac in some cheap bar oil helps much on a warm bar and chain. Maybe if I milled I would see it but even on 32” bars. (Longest I own and use ). I can’t see where I’ve ever had lube issues.

you aren’t wrong. But I don’t think there’s a correct answer here. Just so long as you aren’t burning bars and tie straps up. Mission accomplished
Vid wasn’t to show my support for that specific lube, just that with additives, some stick some don’t. I grew up on a dirt bike, with a non o-ring chain. And I’ve been on 2 wheels since, with chain drive. Saying you dont believe there is such a thing as tack or tackifier was silly to me. That’s all. Like I said before, what ever works for you..

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if we are greasing roller chains. Well I’d use different lube. Two different things. Hell I’ve even used some wax based chain lube but that wouldn’t work well running through an oil pump on a saw. I understand there is tac. It’s a thing. I just don’t need it in my saws

Again just breaking balls here. Cause I like a good discussion at times. Honestly on paper the rapeseed looks like a good product. I’m just not likely to switch to it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Point I’m making is if you have constant oil and plenty of it. Lube is good.

roller chains without an oiler. Better lube required. To help it stay on the chain. I’m a farmer I use 50 link and 60 by the roll.

that said. If you were a farmer we could argue about lubing a planter chain. I personally use none. Due to dusty conditions. I just let them roll without lube because they don’t collect dust.

when it comes to chainsaw chain I just like to know I have a fluid in the reservoir that is constantly pumped onto my drives

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Point I’m making is if you have constant oil and plenty of it. Lube is good.

roller chains without an oiler. Better lube required. To help it stay on the chain. I’m a farmer I use 50 link and 60 by the roll.

that said. If you were a farmer we could argue about lubing a planter chain. I personally use none. Due to dusty conditions. I just let them roll without lube because they don’t collect dust.

when it comes to chainsaw chain I just like to know I have a fluid in the reservoir that is constantly pumped onto my drives

:beer-toast1: