Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You did a lot of work on how rape/canola oil performs

Thanks for that

My issue with rape seed (canola) oil is that it is not a naturally pressed oil like olive or avocado oil and is instead a highly refined substance processed with various chemical solvents including Hexane, a constituent of gasoline and a highly volatile solvent in its own right

Hexane is manufactured by refining crude oil...

It is present in many of the oils produced using it and that has caused a huge controversy about the safety of these HEALTHY OILS

I am not saying canola is death juice but it is a highly refined product and is far from the benign substance many portray it as and it was not made by bunnies stomping rape seeds in wooden tubs in a magic forest as some folks believe

As a food substance it, along with corn oil, another highly refined non-natural oil brought to you by the good folks who forced E fuel down your throats, is among the worst fats you can put in your body

I am not saying that spraying gallons of mineral oil into the environment is a good thing; I am simply pointing out that BIO oils are not without their own carbon footprint and environmental price tag

As always, YMMV

I understand your take. But my environmental viewpoint has more to do with where it ends up than how it started. Better to have a biodegradable in the water and soil than mineral oil.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to add - you CAN get cold pressed, AKA virgin rapeseed oil in Europe. We have it on the estate. But it cost about the same as extra virgin olive oil(imagine that). It's for the horses as a supplement on occasion. It's sumfin like €20/gallon. It's even made locally.
I love olive oil on a baguette, especially with some sort of over processed meat like rillette or pate. But even then, I buy the cheap stuff ;)
No way could we afford to run cold pressed rapeseed thru our saws.
So, if you wanted to push bunnies through your saw, you do have that option.

Here's some random horse pics from the estate. I don't think we have any bunny pics. I spose I could add some sheep pics at the bottom, too...
Yeah, let's do that.

158205204.uiuzjWX6.farm6.jpg
167381040.D40AukWj.WP_20160713_004.jpg
167386538.CdTkCL2w.DSC_0035.JPG
167386737.u4U6Rsmh.WP_20160915_001.jpg

167382010.WFQEST88.gt9.4.jpg
167381876.hU6mcNox.gt111.jpg

You can tell that's me in the background. I am fitting a frame to the doorway on a poly tunnel with a chainsaw. Mitre saws are fo suckaz.

164900394.0OTqLeAx.DSC01719.jpg

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No shortage of trees!!! Nice

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have any of you ever seen stihl branded bar oil that was red ?

This 55 gallon drum is red...the last one wasn't.

20200301_154715.jpg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to add some thing to this thread that may or may not be of any use.

first of all, I thought I read some where that bio chain oil is modified rapeseed oil. Ie it don’t go as gummy as quickly, apparently normal rapeseed oxidises. But I will look it up again

the other thing I was going to say, has anyone tried a food colouring in rapeseed oil, red or blue So it can be seen more easily. A friend has to put it in the glyphosate mix to prove that he’s sprayed all the stumps on his jobs
The reason I ask is..I brought some cheap German oil from eBay which has a blue/green colour, it does make it easier to see if and where the oil gets to

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I’ve been a lookie around, about bar oil... I can’t find the modification to veg oil, for what ever reasons.

but I’ve found Some bio bar oil is rapeseed oil and has dissolved rubber in it to help it cling and it does have a small amount of mineral oil as well.
But the odd thing I’ve found (I’ve never used this stuff so a can’t say what it’s like) is this stihl bioplus stuff. Do I read it right ? 2stroke engine oil and veg oil (rapeseed ?) exact % is trade secret
09B30839-DFB5-47D1-A8DE-7E517869AF3D.jpeg

https://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/SDS/bioplus-safety-data-sheet_1.pdf

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I’ve been a lookie around, about bar oil... I can’t find the modification to veg oil, for what ever reasons.

but I’ve found Some bio bar oil is rapeseed oil and has dissolved rubber in it to help it cling and it does have a small amount of mineral oil as well.
But the odd thing I’ve found (I’ve never used this stuff so a can’t say what it’s like) is this stihl bioplus stuff. Do I read it right ? 2stroke engine oil and veg oil (rapeseed ?) exact % is trade secret
View attachment 228389

https://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/SDS/bioplus-safety-data-sheet_1.pdf

I would take the "various" under the base oil section to mean it is made with multiple possible veggie oils, possibly depending on crop yield, season, etc

I am probably wrong but...

But what the hell is the "2-cycle engine oil additives mixture" business doing in bar oil

Sounds like you are buying lots of mystery purchasing this stuff (not you personally)

:nusenuse:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would take the "various" under the base oil section to mean it is made with multiple possible veggie oils, possibly depending on crop yield, season, etc

I am probably wrong but...

But what the hell is the "2-cycle engine oil additives mixture" business doing in bar oil

Sounds like you are buying lots of mystery purchasing this stuff (not you personally)

:nusenuse:

I am going to reply to my own post

Started thinking about why the 2 stroke additives in bar oil

I guess it’s as good a place as any for “friction modifiers” and all the other anti wear goodies

Dunno

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was what I was thinking,,,

when I’ve got 2stroke oil on my digits while assembling a top end.. I’ve thought how slippery & smooth it was.. so just maybe that’s why it’s in bar oil...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We're gonna need another translation here. LOL

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is zero tackyness with vegetable oil. I think if Stihl or Husqvarna or Dolkita wanted us to use vegetable oil they would have said so.
It may work for you in a pinch in the great white north, but it's not for everyone.
I sometimes cut the bar oil with a small amount of diesel in colder months to get better flow.
Maybe if you just use a little vegetable oil and cut with real bar oil you'd be better off, No?

Last edited: