• Jonsered 630

Results are only viewable after voting.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
11:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my 6100 for a 560/562 .
Maybe if you threw in $600 on top so I could go get another 6100. Lol

I am sure the 6100 is a very nice saw, and it is a good thing that Dolmar finally made a dedicated 60cc design.
However, a saw that is designed to not infringe with the patents of the "original", and can't have the best technology, seldom will be the best one.
Then, the inboard clutch design messes it up further, regarding the handling - putting the bar further away from the center of mass of the powerhead + some other more technical disadvantages.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am sure the 6100 is a very nice saw - but a saw that is designed to not infringe with the patents of the "original", and can't have the best technology, seldom will be the best one. Then, the inboard clutch design messes it up further, regarding the handling - putting the bar further away from the center of mass of the powerhead + some other more technical disadvantages.
I for one am intrigued by your comment on the "Original" . Could you elaborate on what are you referring to ?

Last edited:

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I for one am intrigued by your comment on the "Original" . Could you elaborate on what are you referring to ?

560xp - and the fact that Husky controls the most important technology. Stihl is paying them to use some of it (after a decision by the EU, to avoid a "monopoly" situation), but as far as I know no other brands have been allowed to (yet).

At the moment, the PS-7910, 7310 and the 6100 (in a totally different way) looks like typical "designing around" designs, that hardly is optimal. Dolmar has been in serious trouble vs. the EPA for quite a while by now.

The reason some other brands (typically Echo) haven't likely is that the majority of their saws are putting out so little power for the cc size, that the offensive outlets are kept down that way.

Note that Husky in particular, but also Stihl, are able to keep older saws on the market in the larger classes, because they earn a lot of "points" from the EPA with the "strato"/Autotune machines in other classes.

I have seen rumors about Autotune 6100s though, but don't know yet if it is true?

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
560xp - and the fact that Husky controls the most important technology. Stihl is paying them to use some of it (after a decision by the EU, to avoid a "monopoly" situation), but as far as I know no other brands are allowed to.
This is the "idea " of the interface between the 2 stroke and a electronic control /micro adjusting systems i assume ... Auto tune/M ironic ..2 names , same sort of outcome.
So Husqvarna patented the concept ??

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is the "idea " of the interface between the 2 stroke and a electronic control /micro adjusting systems i assume ... Auto tune/M ironic ..2 names , same sort of outcome.
So Husqvarna patented the concept ??

As far as I know, the M-tronic basically is the early version of the Autotune, as used on the 576, not the AT II that is on the 560 etc - but I don't really know the difference.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as I know, the M-tronic basically is the early version of the Autotune, as used on the 576, not the AT II that is on the 560 etc - but I don't really know the difference.
Thats a lot of very interesting info above .
The monopoly situation is a worry from my point of view . I actually would give the other saw makers some credit if they have the restrictions on them as you point out. I believe it is important to have plenty of choice and design philosophies (optimal or not ) available so just having Husqvarna and Stihl able to put product into EPA overseen countries is not good news I would suggest. Im no expert on emission rules but i believe Euro and USA are different situations.
Someone with the information about the Differences between AT and M ironic hopfully can explain.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am sure the 6100 is a very nice saw, and it is a good thing that Dolmar finally made a dedicated 60cc design.

Then, the inboard clutch design messes it up further, regarding the handling - putting the bar further away from the center of mass of the powerhead + some other more technical disadvantages.
Well I will disagree. The 6100 has better fuel efficiency then the 560 so I am not sure how that is not as good.
Inboard clutch is in my opinion superior to an out board. It is easier to keep clean, easier for chain replacement, easier for sprocket replacement.
However my use is probably a lot different then yours. I never cut evergreens or soft woods. I cut all hard wood and every 15 inches vs 14 foot.
I also can easily take two saws so for small limbing I have a much lighter saw then any 50 or 60 cc saw.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Note that Husky in particular, but also Stihl, are able to keep older saws on the market in the larger classes, because they earn a lot of "points" from the EPA with the "strato"/Autotune machines in other classes.

I believe you are spot on with this Sawtroll. Just like the automotive industry and the "fleet" MPG and emissions standards they have to comply with, the OPE industry has it's own set of "fleet" emissions standards to be in compliance with. Same goes for the powersports industry.

Being from Norway, I'm sure you are familiar with Ski-Doo snowmobiles and the fact that they still have a large selection of 2-stroke powered sleds available in their product line. That is mostly because back in the early 2000's when the EPA decided to get more stringent on "fleetwide" emissions on the snowmobile industry, BRP had an ace up their sleeve with the Johnson/Evinrude ETEC system they obtained the rights to when they bought out Johnson/Evinrude marine. Because they were able to adapt the ETEC system to work on snowmobile engines, they were then able to meet the fleetwide emission standards mandated by the EPA when other brands put most or in the case of Yamaha, all of their eggs into the 4-stroke basket. There are other things people like the 4-stroke mills for, but those traits were not the driving force behind the influx of 4-stroke mills in sleds, it was the EPA.

Technology is great but make no mistake, it is sometimes rushed due to EPA mandates. At this point it is only a matter of time before the EPA ups the ante on product line emission standards and the larger non-AT saws will be extinct and replaced by new AT equipped 500 series models.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I will disagree. The 6100 has better fuel efficiency then the 560 so I am not sure how that is not as good.
Inboard clutch is in my opinion superior to an out board. It is easier to keep clean, easier for chain replacement, easier for sprocket replacement.
However my use is probably a lot different then yours. I never cut evergreens or soft woods. I cut all hard wood and every 15 inches vs 14 foot.
I also can easily take two saws so for small limbing I have a much lighter saw then any 50 or 60 cc saw.

You are of course wrong, but I won't shoot you because of it, as it is a common misunderstanding, based on older outboard clutch saws. At least with the Huskys, it basically quit being true a few decades ago.

The most important benefit of the outboard is better handling of the saw, but there also are better cooling of both the engine and the clutch, and less strain on the crank (less "arm" for the force from the chain to work on, regarding bending or breaking). One knock on a suitable size flat screwdriver with something suitable to hit it with will take the clutch off, and there are no small parts (e-clip and chim) to loose in the process.

You don't need a piston stop to take the clutch off a modern outboard clutch saw,

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Inboard / Outboard is a matter of personal preference, you can debate it till the cows go home, I prefer the inboard.

And even with more pressure and worse cooling those amazing Stihls still usually manage to last longer!

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Inboard / Outboard is a matter of personal preference, you can debate it till the cows go home, I prefer the inboard.

And even with more pressure and worse cooling those amazing Stihls still usually manage to last longer!

Wrong, but you are entitled to have your own stubborn opinion. :pancarta::beer-toast1:

Also note that the Husky models that reportedly had issues with the PTO side crank bearing are exactly the same that introduced an inboard clutch, namely 371xp, 385xp and 575xp. I hope they have learned the lesson by now.

Anyway, I suspect that misunderstood market pressure will make the 572xp another inboard clutch Husky (unless redesigning it into an outboard is what is taking so much time).
Hopefully it is, but I wouldn't bet on it, because the market doesn't know its own best (including you), and they have to relate to that in the 70cc class (or at least they think they have to).

Sad, but likely true.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Niko, you are obviously doing well, good to see it!

I am looking forward to new saws in the 70 cc class from both companies, and I hope they will both be knockouts!

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd like Huskies more if they didn't have all the inbuilt flaws and were made by Stihl

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my little world The 6100 is proving too be a superb alternative in this class I have sold more 6100's so far this year than I did the whole of last year ive been asked on numerous occasions If I do part exchange on certain saws but I can't take the risk on certain models and if I put them on eBay my negative feedback score would go sky high

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In my little world The 6100 is proving too be a superb alternative in this class I have sold more 6100's so far this year than I did the whole of last year ive been asked on numerous occasions If I do part exchange on certain saws but I can't take the risk on certain models and if I put them on eBay my negative feedback score would go sky high
I'll tell ya, my experience with the "other" red and black saws is limited to a 6400 my father in law owns.. But I am quite impressed with it. Nice saw that 6400! And the pricepoint really makes them attractive! I think he paid $600 all said and done including sales tax for his.. But don't quote me on that.