drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a 3 pack, figured what the hell for that price. I wound up getting one in the mail. Promptly returned and refunded.

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I too am a small local saw shop and hate to see any such shops close. I've been thinking about this for a while now and I think the last couple pages of this thread have sealed the deal for me. I am going to become a supporter of this forum. I don't even know how much it costs to do so yet.
I really enjoy working on saws and helping people select the best saw for their needs, one on one, instead of sending them off to one of the big shopping sites where the best they can hope for is a free return if they buy the wrong saw. My wife and I have been at it for a year and a half now in addition to our regular full time jobs. I have one part time helper. I want so much to grow this business to the point that we can do it full time and give our helper as much bench time as he wants. We'll get there I believe. It's just not an easy journey and involves many white knuckle evenings looking at stacks of bills over dinner.
As to the specific topic of V-MODEST chains, I think they're good. I honestly don't know how good because I haven't had the time to run a bunch either, but I will. I'm going to dive in head first and stock several rolls and loops of every spec that I can. Their other products have proven to be very reliable and I have many happy customers using their stuff. I'm going to try getting enough rolls to get the price down to just a smidge over $200. I'll let you know what I end up with in my next post, as a sponsor.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How can these Chinese companies with all these shell names like "V-modest" get away with literally copying current Stihl chainsaw product and then selling it on United States-based websites like eBay and Amazon? I've often wondered what stihl and husqvarna think about their product development being copied.

Always surprised I guess, how cheap people can be, to support this blatant theft. It's disingenuous, the whole way round.
Supporting blatant theft? Is there current patents on any of it? Also, for me, it was 100% a curiosity... got a wall of Genuine stihl RS and oregon all sourced from the local brick and mortars that i have worked at for the last 10 yrs... theres exactly 2 chains on this wall that are copy chains...

20240605_131523.jpg

As for how cheap people can be? The current administration has forced a lot of our hands to look for cheaper options... i cant afford to live in NY anymore, even on an 80k a year combined income... anyone with half a brain would be interested in chains that cost a third of a genuine stihl or oregon chain in that situation...

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240529_134526.jpgIMG_20240529_134356.jpg
It was hard to pay around 20.00 a stihl chain year's ago
I'll be damn if i pay what they want now.
And this Bridgeport equipment was built near my friends 40+ stihl dealership
To steal his business after telling him for decades no other stihls would be sold in his areas by anybody but him.
And take that made in China *B-S.... to AS
This is a forum on one of the biggest if not the biggest online aftermarket parts
Stores on the Internet.
I have bought tons of parts from hl and dukes
If i see something cheaper i buy it.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 421985View attachment 421988
It was hard to pay around 20.00 a stihl chain year's ago
I'll be damn if i pay what they want now.
And this Bridgeport equipment was built near my friends 40+ stihl dealership
To steal his business after telling him for decades no other stihls would be sold in his areas by anybody but him.
And take that made in China *B-S.... to AS
This is a forum on one of the biggest if not the biggest online aftermarket parts
Stores on the Internet.
I have bought tons of parts from hl and dukes
If i see something cheaper i buy it.
Agreed. I have no issues supporting Dukes or HL, crap my 661 wouldnt be running if it werent for HLSupply... or Mastermind and his collaboration with Cross (chinese company) cylinders to come up with a ported stock option, which is a great starting point to port further off of, and not worry about ruining a $400 jug....

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So. Amazon suggested my chains were lost and I should request a refund or replacement. Ok, fine...tried to do that online and got stuck in a loop so called them. A very nice person from some foreign country got the order canceled and reordered. Cool. There is still the possibility the original may show up, lol.
Anyway....did this last night.
Chains showed up this afternoon 🙄.
No idea if they are the original order and I'll get a second...free...box someday, or, the reorder was sent overnight.

"What a country!" 🤣

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a 3 pack, figured what the hell for that price. I wound up getting one in the mail. Promptly returned and refunded.
And...?
Got mine today, look ok... will get them to the guys to start cutting with tomorrow

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And...?
Got mine today, look ok... will get them to the guys to start cutting with tomorrow
Returned. I am positive I ordered the 3 pack. Took quite some time to come.

Opened and found 1 chain in the box. Went back to orders and order changed to a single chain. I am quite sure I ordered the 3 chain pack because I wouldn’t buy one chain for $20+ off Amazon.

Returned as “not as described” with no issues.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Amazon a lot but I also return a lot. So far they have been great to work with. Yes there are some hiccups but they deal in a volume that most cannot grasp so of course there will be hiccups. I had 5 orders this week and two will go back. I bought two different styles of solar lights and they are junk. A little over 2 years ago I bought a solar light to sit atop my flag pole. It was around 430 and I was skeptical but I bought it. I will say with 100% confidence that damn thing has impressed me totally. For over 800 nights that thing has keep my US flag lit. It is even bright enough it cover the outdoor boiler a bit. The initial cost was $30.......operating cost $0. I call that a win.