High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

UPDATE ! Rookie Build , 181 Ugly Duckling Work Saw

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So I've been tinkering with saws for ten years plus. Always been minor repairs just keeping things running to put in firewood. About 4 months ago I started hanging out on these forums, caught the cad virus, and decided I needed a project or two or three or four...... So this is what I found :

image.jpeg
Husqvarna 181, well worn and crusty, advertised with a scored piston and cylinder. This is how it showed up at my door, velocity stack and a full wrap that's been repaired many times and broke again.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My plan for this saw is pretty simple. Clean it up, fix what needs fixed and get it running again.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
8:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow. Bet the cylinder will clean up easily - may not need any attention at all, looking at the piston. New piston kit and you will be in business!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great saw easy to work on and one of the best sounding saws there is that wrap will be your most expensive bit unless you go half or 3/4 I hadn't found a good deal on one.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My plan for this saw is pretty simple. Clean it up, fix what needs fixed and get it running again.
Leave it as a ugly sleeper spend more time on performance then youl have no problem wanting to get it dirty. Don't treat it like a white wall tire

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 181 was one of my first project saws as well. That's a great choice for a build. ..Tons of parts out there and a real muscle saw. :)

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Great saw easy to work on and one of the best sounding saws there is that wrap will be your most expensive bit unless you go half or 3/4 I hadn't found a good deal on one.
Went half wrap for now, dealer had an oem one on the shelf he sold me for $25. Said he had to it forever, not much call for big saw parts around here.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Leave it as a ugly sleeper spend more time on performance then youl have no problem wanting to get it dirty. Don't treat it like a white wall tire
That's the plan @bikemike , this is gonna be a quick build. I have had an appointment for another saw to see a certain monkey, this one is now taking its place...

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So the hope was to clean up the cylinder and put a new piston kit in it. Unfortunately that's not happening. Not only was there lots of transfer, there are also several deep marks that cut through the plating.
image.jpeg

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didnt the early ones have thin rings?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sucks but you could always go bigger.great deal on that handle by the way .