High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Trees you've cut

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I was shaking my head watching comments on the news.

I'm trying to avoid talking politics, but it was like they were saying the last 4 years has created global warming and if someone else were in power they could stop it. That grown people who vote actually believe this scares me!

Excellent posts above, and I'm sure more housing in vulnerable areas is also a factor. It is similar to the hurricane comparisons, when there are far more structures in the way, there will be far more damage from similar storms.
I think in many cases the built up areas happened in zones that previously were outside of the "danger zone" for hurricanes, storms, etc. Used to be only a once in 100 years storm would hit those areas, but now it seems to be annual. That's the effect of climate change.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Logging is part of the answer for sure, and so is re-introducing fire to the landscape in areas that were formerly prone to fire. The biggest problem right now isn't climate change, it's forest and land mismanagement. It started in the 60's mainly in California, where the enviro-whackos wanted everything locked up. They started suing anyone who wanted to log or cut trees, and then lobbied state government to enact legislation that made it very difficult for private landowners to log or do development on their own lands. That's the main key in the mega-fires they're having now. My good buddy went down and worked on the Edison right-of-way job for three years and he said there's hundreds of thousands of large legacy snags in utility and public right-of-ways because any kind of cutting was forbidden for three decades. Now they have such a problem, it's going to cost millions and take twenty years to address. In the mean time, we'll continue to have mega-fires and environmental groups like the Sierra Club refuse to take any kind of responsibility.

Another factor is fire suppression - we've helped create our own problem by putting out all fires for the preceding 120 years. If we had let some fires burn in the 30's-90's, we'd be a lot better off.

The answer is gonna be: 1. - Selective Logging and fuels reduction, 2.- Creating more broad-scale fuel breaks where wildland interfaces with developed/urban areas, 3.- Running more controlled fire through the landscape, 4.- Really educating landowners on appropriate/responsible land management.
Fort Bragg NC does an excellent job of doing what you stated in your bottom paragraph. Crews clean out and bale all the dead pine straw, fire teams conduct controlled burns in cleared areas, and huge firebreaks are maintained, several with geotextiles.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This tree burned only from the other side?
The tree seems not so dead from the pictures
Edit: I saw the rest of ur pic, so from this side it looks a lot worse

It had a preexisting "cat face" in it which the fire got into, further weakening the tree. It happens a lot in Western Red and Incense Cedars. You also see it in
old-growth Ponderosa Pine a lot.

Nathan lassley

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

7:00 that evening I saw a tanker flying to big creek because of a fire at Camp Sierra, it was holding at 1 acre with crews hiking in then at 11 things went sideways. At midnight I was hualing ass up to the beaver slide on highway 168 to get eyes on what was happening.

Crowning fire running up hill towards Huntington lake road.
IMG_20200905_004619708.jpg
IMG_20200905_003402640.jpg

View from the cabin at meadow lakes. 9am.
IMG_20200905_091351765.jpg

Tankers 912 and 944
IMG_20200905_113010474.jpg
IMG_20200905_113637895.jpg

Last edited:

Nathan lassley

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7:00 that evening I saw a tanker flying to big creek because of a fire at Camp Sierra, it was holding at 1 acre with crews hiking in then at 11 things went sideways. At midnight I was hualing ass up to the beaver slide on highway 168 to get eyes on what was happening.

Crowning fire running hill towards Huntington lake road.
View attachment 259159
View attachment 259160

View from the cabin at meadow lakes. 9am.
View attachment 259161

Tankers 912 and 944
View attachment 259162
View attachment 259163

Noon.
IMG_20200905_121342861.jpg

1:15 multiple spot fires reported 6-10 miles north and people camping trapped having to shelter in place who later got rescued by the national guard chinooks. Pyrocumulonimbus height reported at 55,000 ft.
IMG_20200905_135714423.jpg
It made all the way to our place in 2 days but we're good, our neighbors in alder springs and pine ridge got nuked unfortunately. The section of fire that hit them burned over the ridge and continued down slope into the Shaver springs community doing an equal amount of damage.

The creek fire is now 249,000 acres.

Last edited: