Trees you've cut

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20200425_110619.jpg IMG_20200615_112218.jpg IMG_20200615_112223.jpg IMG_20200615_112226.jpg
This is a job we did earlier this week. The first pic is when I bid the job. You can see the Hamm radio tower hanging in a few dead oaks. We had to get the tower down then we could fell the trees out threw the back fence and side fence. The home owner said the tower was around 80'.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wasn’t big in diameter as some ash I've cut but this was probably one of the finest ash I’ve cut in quality. 70ft to the first branch no knobs and straight as a arrow... and it was alive. You don’t see em like that often especially with the majority of them dead here. 9890D257-470B-49F2-9139-16856E1C9F7B.jpeg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff but I don't miss it this time off the year. Dead sticks only and limbs this summer for me. The chipper is parked at an RV park... just in case.

You guys be careful out there and nice work all.

Thanks Kenny, I had to wedge the nuts outta that stem, the back lean was HEAVY. don't you miss the heat..hornets..poison ivy...sunburn...fumes...

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll get you some pics of my next sweet honey pie. Maybe she's all hollow but will find out soon enough. Big pin cherry with holes and bees all busted up in my back yard. Years ago the honey bees moved in the upper stem.

Last infested one I cut near Sharpstown by Cowtown Rodeo had everything in it. Ivy, worms, grubs, metal, nails, bolts, lightning hit, cracked, squirrels, 13,500 honey bees was the estimate from one arm. Took him a week to get them dealt with. Everyone got stung that day. Black mass came out and it looked like a movie set. Twenty feet of hollow twenty inch wood, give or take. saved a chunk about two foot by two foot from about forty feet up that maple. Three inches of holding sap wood at best. Seven foot base with three big arms about ten feet up. Wish I had the pics to show still. I have that phone somewhere... busted screen. The yard tree was near a hundred foot tall.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wasn’t big in diameter as some ash I've cut but this was probably one of the finest ash I’ve cut in quality. 70ft to the first branch no knobs and straight as a arrow... and it was alive. You don’t see em like that often especially with the majority of them dead here. View attachment 246546

That bar isn't gonna last too long.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That bar isn't gonna last too long.
Yep, bars get worn out a bit faster when your veneer cutting and punching the center out. There are other reasons to punch the center out when logging hardwoods, but it’s mainly veneer trees or ash/hickory to eliminate barberchair/fiber pull. It’s a waste of time to do it doing residential stuff in someone’s yard usually, or most softwoods. A saw that oils well can make a big difference in bar life obviously as well. I found stihl ES and sugi tips to be more durable than the others and I’ve tried most all of them. Cannon look pretty strong but haven’t used one for logging yet. Most of the time for me, the rails get hogged out and sloppy (starts cutting crooked) before the tip fails on most bars I’ve used. Prying on a pinched tip is what’s always destroyed them for me quickest. I quickly learned to try to avoid doing that. Lol

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, bars get worn out a bit faster when your veneer cutting and punching the center out. There are other reasons to punch the center out when logging hardwoods, but it’s mainly veneer trees or ash/hickory to eliminate barberchair/fiber pull. It’s a waste of time to do it doing residential stuff in someone’s yard usually, or most softwoods. A saw that oils well can make a big difference in bar life obviously as well. I found stihl ES and sugi tips to be more durable than the others and I’ve tried most all of them. Cannon look pretty strong but haven’t used one for logging yet. Most of the time for me, the rails get hogged out and sloppy (starts cutting crooked) before the tip fails on most bars I’ve used. Prying on a pinched tip is what’s always destroyed them for me quickest. I quickly learned to try to avoid doing that. Lol

I was talking about that versa cut bar.

But yeah....all that too.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last versa cut I had destroyed the tip spectacularly when it failed lol. That said for the 45$ I paid for them... they paid for themselves quickly. Decent bar for the money.

I agree. Sushis and cannons are where it's at. Versa cuts are OK for the money. we went through 3 of them already. Rails are kinda soft and the tips don't impress me..

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. Sushis and cannons are where it's at. Versa cuts are OK for the money. we went through 3 of them already. Rails are kinda soft and the tips don't impress me..
I agree Ryan. Have you ever had oiler holes plugging on your tsumura or “total” bars? They seem to plug the oiler hole more often for me since it’s not angled like the oregon/sugi ones. It’s just a round hole on most of the stihl mount tsumuras. It can be annoying sometimes. Good wearing bar though.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree Ryan. Have you ever had oiler holes plugging on your tsumura or “total” bars? They seem to plug the oiler hole more often for me since it’s not angled like the oregon/sugi ones. It’s just a round hole on most of the stihl mount tsumuras. It can be annoying sometimes. Good wearing bar though.
I noticed that years ago and it's worse milling. Get a tiny diamond burr and smooth out the feed hole forward. It helps a bit. The angled narrow ones suck. They clog more than the old bigger round hole did. My 36" 050 bars have small holes but they are newer. All the wide nose old bars have the larger hole. Going to use them for sawing 24/4 and fatter small slabs or multiple beams or posts at once. 3/8" might still have a place on that one bar. Most of it is 404 now on longer bars. I can swap back if needed. I don't see the point over 120 drivers.

I never used 404 but to cut old dirty stumps and mill. Few trees need 42-60" bars for felling.

Do you use 404 to do veneer hardwood cuts or just 3/8"?