Trees you've cut

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm probably not the guy to answer, because I'm not an expert, but that stump is a bit concerning to me, judging by the pictures. Makes me wonder if ya couldn't just get a rope up there and put plenty of tension going in, say the 7:30, or 8 position, just to keep it away from the other tree. Then again, I'm not so sure I'd want to be cutting on that thing.

With the condition it's in, could you just pull the thing down?
I'm starting to think that way myself. Maybe Notch the side that's already broke and just knick the good side after there's some tension on it. Would almost be pulling it over backwards. It probably wouldn't make it that far but it would probably stay off the trees I want to save.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That stump is pretty ugly for sure. I was going to suggest a vertical bore cut to see what kind of holding wood you might have in there.... then I saw the pic and I'd have to say none!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watch yourself on that one. Rope it as high as you can, tension it in the direction you want it to go and nibble at it slowly. If it starts to move a little you can always get away from the stump and add a little tension as you go.
Don't do it on a windy day!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I think I'll put a rope in it and try to pull it over backwards. I don't think it will make it but it should make it far enough to miss everything.

I'll post some more pics when it's on the ground. Got a sizeable pecan leaning over a barn at the same place. Should be an interesting day when I get it going. Thanks for the input guys wish me luck.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm starting to think that way myself. Maybe Notch the side that's already broke and just knick the good side after there's some tension on it. Would almost be pulling it over backwards. It probably wouldn't make it that far but it would probably stay off the trees I want to save.

I made a winch system for stuff exactly like this, so I can control the tension from the stump as I cut, if I need to. That thing wouldn't take more than a face cut, I'd guess, to get it to go, with a rope attached to a vehicle. Pretty gnarly tree.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would definitely rope it, and from the look of that wood, maybe in more than one place.

Find an anchor point that will make it swing in the direction you want.

If there is no anchor there, park a truck and tie to rope to it.

That is a dangerous tree, be very careful. Ash goes punky fast, and does not always deteriorate in a consistent manner, so there may be hard spots and soft spots, so be very careful.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somewhat related, here's some shots from an Ash I pruned this morning. This tree was middle stage EAB before it started getting injections. It's hard to see in the photo, but nearly every junction in the tree now has exposed wood from EAB scarring. Once this happens they are never structurally sound.

CE8ED613-23C2-4253-B0D9-DD182995B4AC.jpeg EBAE2A9D-B0F4-4E84-98AF-E6E4418F4C09.jpeg

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would definitely rope it, and from the look of that wood, maybe in more than one place.

Find an anchor point that will make it swing in the direction you want.

If there is no anchor there, park a truck and tie to rope to it.

That is a dangerous tree, be very careful. Ash goes punky fast, and does not always deteriorate in a consistent manner, so there may be hard spots and soft spots, so be very careful.
I think I'm just going to tie it to a tractor and drive
I hat it when that happens.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm just going to tie it to a tractor and drive

I hat it when that happens.

be careful just driving away. You could load the tree and it not snap. This causing spring back and it going the wrong way. Me personally, I’d rope it, put tension. Then carefully cut with added tension to pull it over. That also requires multiple people.
Fwiw I’m no expert.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think Fiskars axes are made for banging wedges Mike. Old skool traditional is better.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think Fiskars axes are made for banging wedges Mike. Old skool traditional is better.

If you use plastic wedges (as most of us do) they work just fine, and the handles don't break! The heads are also a bit heavier than traditional axes, which also helps.