Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow Colton! Very nice work sir.
Why do you trim the flare off the base?
They skid easier, load easier, look nicer, roll around at the mill easier. If you leave the root flare on and rip your trip into therr buttplate of the skidder good chance you'll break a chunk out of the butt log. If you get a reputation of always sending in a well trimmed load of logs that the mill dosent have to trim more once they get delivered, you'll almost always have somewhere to sell logs and get a higher price. Dont be a hack, take a little pride in your work.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Colton. I just thought they made you cut the flare off due to the grains of the wood flaring with it. I'll post pics of some stump bases that I split after it stops raining. I just thought they would be tough to mill or sell.
Thanks for that description. Reputation is very important as you state. Be safe out there.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a hell of a skidder! What is the bulldozer looking machine called? I saw it in another one of your posts, but I'm not familiar.

They are high track grapple skidders built by Cat just for the purpose it’s the same exact model I have pictured pulling that cedar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you trim the flare free hand or do you have some sort of jig?
Free hand, sight down the log. Not hard to do, but if you have your saw held at off angle rather than parallel with the log ot makes it look like you were trying to carve the butt into a pencil.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you trim the flare free hand or do you have some sort of jig?
The mill we sell to now has a Butt reducer. Basicly a machine that just grinds the butts to the desired shape, ran from an enclosed building off to the side of the log yard. All the waste is ran onto a conveyer and turned into hardwood mulch or pellets.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ab35714b66a11c6e9d39a55708e29455.jpg

67ecb697fba0f8a2366eacf12dd9b773.jpg

Got to love red alder

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Interesting cut there. What type of tree is that you are cutting? Is it a softwood? Not quite sure how that would work in our hard wood that we have in the northeast.

That’s a western red cedar, if you can swing your hardwoods you can slip them too.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That face is a work of art. What are the mechanics behind it, please?

It started life as a block face with a humboldt bottom, added a siz wheel into the right side almost all the way across allowing the butt to slide over past the old growth stump well the top was heading out for the lay.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It started life as a block face with a humboldt bottom, added a siz wheel into the right side almost all the way across allowing the butt to slide over past the old growth stump well the top was heading out for the lay.

So it’s your humbolt with more cut out on one side (the side you want to swing away from the stump) and the face cut cut at the angle to allow for that movement? I’m guessing you used the wood wedge to pop it off the stump on that side first to further encourage it to swing around the stump too?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it’s your humbolt with more cut out on one side (the side you want to swing away from the stump) and the face cut cut at the angle to allow for that movement? I’m guessing you used the wood wedge to pop it off the stump on that side first to further encourage it to swing around the stump too?

I didn’t swing it I slipped it off the stump to swing you’d need to turn the tree. The piece was place in there at a certain location to allow me to make dang sure I had enough cut off the far(right) side to get it to slip. When you place something in the face it can be used one or two way depending on location is A. Two start a swing or help and B. As a way to stall the cut this was used to help stall the cut.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t swing it I slipped it off the stump to swing you’d need to turn the tree. The piece was place in there at a certain location to allow me to make dang sure I had enough cut off the far(right) side to get it to slip. When you place something in the face it can be used one or two way depending on location is A. Two start a swing or help and B. As a way to stall the cut this was used to help stall the cut.

Cool interesting stuff, I don’t cut trees like that here so it’s cool to learn about other techniques used in other areas. You never know when you might need to utilize an aspect of another technique to get the job done.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I'll rejoin this discussion in a few weeks after I figure out what you just wrote... o_O LOL.