Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a CS500VL
Anyone know how i get my new saw?
Thanks
Serial number below 0023000. Search the web for more details. Several stories of dealers saying they don't honor the recall anymore. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo Recalls Model Cs-500VL Chain Saw
Washington, DC -- In cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Echo Incorporated of Lake Zurich, Illinois today announced the voluntary recall of all model 500VL gasoline powered chain saws manufactured from 1979 to 1980.

Some 8,500 Echo model 500VL chain saws with flywheel problems are being recalled voluntarily by the company and replaced with a new solid- state magneto chain saw at no cost to the consumer.

The firm said a special tool is required to remove the flywheel during routine chain saw maintenance, but some flywheels have been removed by consumers without aid of the tool. If the flywheel becomes distorted as a result of such removal, the flywheel may be subject to stress and vibration. Pieces of the flywheel may fly apart and strike the operator as was the case in the three accidents reported to Echo, which resulted in lacerations, fractures and amputation to the fingers of the operator's left hand.

Consumers should discontinue using the Echo 500 VL chain saw immediately. Owners of Model 500VL chain saws with serial numbers inclusive to 0023000 should contact their Echo Dealer to arrange for replacement of the saw at no charge. The new Echo saw, model 510 EVL, comes equipped with a solid-state electronic magneto which is not removed during routine maintenance.

Consumers desiring more information about the product recall should write to Echo, Incorporated, 400 Oakwood Road, Lake Qurich, Illinois 60047, or call Echo's Service Department at (847) 540-8400.

e-mail alerts.
  • Call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054).

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
94D37309-E990-42DB-97BE-EE6CE681C44C.jpeg My Dad gave me his 090 today. This saw had mystical powers when I was growing up, just the biggest, baddest saw around. Always the focal point of any woodcutting gathering. I watched him take down a big cottonwood tree with it once, no climbing gear whatsoever. Cut steps up the leaning trunk, got into the canopy and did big one handed rip cuts on the limbs over the ranch house, swinging them away from the house until he had the top reduced enough to fit into the lay and then he wedged the trunk over away from the house. I now own a tree service and know how insanely unsafe that was but at the time it was just another feat by a true superdad

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 260317 My Dad gave me his 090 today. This saw had mystical powers when I was growing up, just the biggest, baddest saw around. Always the focal point of any woodcutting gathering. I watched him take down a big cottonwood tree with it once, no climbing gear whatsoever. Cut steps up the leaning trunk, got into the canopy and did big one handed rip cuts on the limbs over the ranch house, swinging them away from the house until he had the top reduced enough to fit into the lay and then he wedged the trunk over away from the house. I now own a tree service and know how insanely unsafe that was but at the time it was just another feat by a true superdad
What an awesome saw to get! I keep looking to find one at all the yard sales and sales at barns and rural places. Hopefully i get one someday!

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Arrived today...exceptional craftsmanship @Mkinslow. I can’t wait to put it to use!

0923c96e8c196d999007fdd8cabdc6e0.jpg

ea8e7ddef47d5d0df8cc2454508e4fa0.jpg

4da869fd413d495a2836d46c0e373c85.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chain Geek Snag . . .

I prefer to grind chains outside, and have my Oregon grinder set up to mount on a step ladder. The other day, while looking for something else on Amazon, I ran across the Oregon grinder stand, which I had avoided, because I was not sure how stable it was, and due to the cost ($92!). They had one listed in the 'Other Sellers' section (lower right corner of screen) by 'Amazon Warehouse' (which is apparently their retuned and damaged goods section) for about a quarter of that price. Basically, for less than it would cost me to ship it by UPS to a friend.
Screen shot 2020-10-13 at 2.02.08 PM.png
Feels pretty solid. Height adjustable. And breaks down (with a couple of bolts).

Philbert

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chain Geek Snag . . .

I prefer to grind chains outside, and have my Oregon grinder set up to mount on a step ladder. The other day, while looking for something else on Amazon, I ran across the Oregon grinder stand, which I had avoided, because I was not sure how stable it was, and due to the cost ($92!). They had one listed in the 'Other Sellers' section (lower right corner of screen) by 'Amazon Warehouse' (which is apparently their retuned and damaged goods section) for about a quarter of that price. Basically, for less than it would cost me to ship it by UPS to a friend.
View attachment 262587
Feels pretty solid. Height adjustable. And breaks down (with a couple of bolts).

Philbert
Was it a one time only thing or was there more available? Looks like something I could use!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was it a one time only thing or was there more available?
As I understand it, these damaged packages / returned goods type items are hard to predict. This was the only one at that time. Pretty random. Worth checking if you are about to add something to your cart at regular price.

There are other companies that specialize in returned goods, overstock, discontinued stuff, etc., like VMinnovations for Husqvarna stuff. Still ‘hit-and-miss’.

https://www.vminnovations.com/

Philbert

Last edited:

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chain Geek Snag . . .

View attachment 262587

Philbert
I bought a pair of those for my Tecomecs. They are solid & work great. I snagged mine for $18 each but that was several months ago. I figured if they were junk I wasn’t out much. I was scrounging thru the iron pile for stand material when I decided to look online. chainvise height is about 54”

image.jpg