Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sump is molded and stays in the case

I have 2 engines here, not whole saws. Last engine I built I used to replace my landscaper dudes scored 390. Bought a 390 kit off somebody with the bright idea of building an engine and selling it. Next time it wont be me doin this....

thesawincanada

For the love of saws
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m rebuilding an ms 390 for Some one I feel your pain. Pain in the a— to get apart. I don’t like this model of saw to work on. Was badly abused probably the worst saw I have seen. Can only save crank and some plastics.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just rebuilt a 390 and removed the cylinder as suggested earlier with a rope piston block and then crank the shaft. It was tough. The previous owner must have used thread lock adhesive to hold it, not gasket sealer. I also used a wooden mallet to help break it loose.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The so-called gasket sealer that I ran into was the same color as my permanent thread lock adhesive. Frankly, guys, I am surprised I was able to break it loose. And, I had to rebuild with the clutch still in place because that was impossible to remove. My gut feeling is that the clutch was also secured with thread lock adhesive.