Thinned the wheel

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you get a decent grind on a chain is it any easier to do a touch up if you don’t tear the chain up too much in the wood, dirt and rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you get a decent grind on a chain is it any easier to do a touch up or you don’t tear the chain up too much in the wood, dirt and rocks?

Should be a breeze but you will still have to set the grinder back up for that chain.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you get a decent grind on a chain is it any easier to do a touch up or you don’t tear the chain up too much in the wood, dirt and rocks?

Yes. It will get exponentially easier and faster. The learning curve is steep. If frustration sets in, walk away. If your eyes are tired, get some cheaters or a loupe of some type to get some magnification. Also, keep asking questions here. Everybody gets some benefits from the discussion...

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ECCC8529-6512-4A1F-9770-138830EBD792.png
Yes. It will get exponentially easier and faster. The learning curve is steep. If frustration sets in, walk away. If your eyes are tired, get some cheaters or a loupe of some type to get some magnification. Also, keep asking questions here. Everybody gets some benefits from the discussion...
Second sharpening on some Raisman .325 Edge of wheel was getting too thin for 3/8, but pretty sweet for the smaller .325 tooth.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should be a breeze but you will still have to set the grinder back up for that chain.
I needed to simplify things a little bit. I set the chain stop for how sharp of a cutter I want to make. I put an angle finder on top of the tooth and roll the tooth forward until I get 30*. That’s about as blunt or “tough” of a cutter as I can get. If I’m grinding work chains, I don’t touch the chain thumbwheel anymore. If my corner is low or high, I adjust only the height of the arm and the swingarm stop. Otherwise, you end up with all of your new chains very sharp, and all of your old chains very blunt. I needed some consistency