High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Wood ID Thread ( or name this wood type )

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's definitely a willow oak. Locals in Louisiana call them pin oak. It's a deciduous oak so they'll drop leaves in the fall. Also, in the wild, they usually grow alongside water oaks in hardwood bottomland.
Those locals in LA don’t know what a pin oak is then..
Lol..
but hell, they call a bluegill a “brim”..

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting they drop leaves though..
as The live oaks in southern Texas don’t drop them like up nort oaks..

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Louisiana, oaks that grow in bottomlands are usually willow, water, and overcup. Upland oaks are white, southern red, and cherry bark. Squirrels like all those acorns. Deer prefer white oaks....larger. My Forestry professor once said white oak acorns to deer are like lays potato chips to us. You can't just eat one.

Last edited:

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those locals in LA don’t know what a pin oak is then..
Lol..
but hell, they call a bluegill a “brim”..

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!
I've noticed depending on what part of Louisiana you're in, north-central-south, they have different common names for fish. An example, is the crappie. Northern LA they call them crappie. Central LA it's white perch. South LA it's sac-a-lait. There's actually two type of crappie in Louisiana..... White and black. The black crappie has more dorsal spines than the white crappie. Most people don't care they just taste good.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aren’t those live oaks like 36mil. BTU on the firewood chart. I thought I read somewhere they were higher on the BTU chart than Osage for firewood.

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aren’t those live oaks like 36mil. BTU on the firewood chart. I thought I read somewhere they were higher on the BTU chart than Osage for firewood.
They’re not only similar in BTU, they even grow bent and generally *f-worded up like a hedge tree..

Once opened up you can tell they’re an oak though.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Live oaks are harder than Osage Orange. That includes Hichory too. Usually the harder the wood greater the BTU.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive seen pin oaks. Also sawtooth oaks. Similar bark and leaves. All have a little different shape to the leaves though. Never seen any exactly like whats at the home place though. Seem to be extremely slow growing.
I'm thinking willow oak may be the winner.
They shed leaves in the fall, so not an evergreen like a live oak. Standard longer structure too. Live oaks are usually squatty and limbs grow at awkward angles.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Live oak tree in my brother's front yard in NC....dropped its leaves in winter. I'm now wondering if it wasn't a willow, or laural oak.
Maybe have your brother take a pic of the tree and text it to you. Maybe we can help identify it.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed depending on what part of Louisiana you're in, north-central-south, they have different common names for fish. An example, is the crappie. Northern LA they call them crappie. Central LA it's white perch. South LA it's sac-a-lait. There's actually two type of crappie in Louisiana..... White and black. The black crappie has more dorsal spines than the white crappie. Most people don't care they just taste good.
Well, youve got speckled perch, also known as crappie around here. There are white and black variants, depending on where you fish.
As far as "Bream" go, there are several types of Sunfish that fall into that basic category. Bluegill, yellow bellies, red ear, warmouth, and shell crackers. I think she'll crackers may just be bluegill. Dont really care. Theyre all delicious when they meet cornmeal and hot oil.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never thought about live oaks being evergreens. True though. Same with cypress around here. Foliage looks like they would be related to cedars, and thus evergreen. Not so. They drop "leaves"(I know that's not the right term) in the fall.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, youve got speckled perch, also known as crappie around here. There are white and black variants, depending on where you fish.
As far as "Bream" go, there are several types of Sunfish that fall into that basic category. Bluegill, yellow bellies, red ear, warmouth, and shell crackers. I think she'll crackers may just be bluegill. Dont really care. Theyre all delicious when they meet cornmeal and hot oil.
Shell crackers are red ears. My Dad preferred frying bluegills whole and ate with sliced onions. I never cared for gar or bowfin. Catfish (blue, channel, or Opelousas) are at the top of my list.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20200716_161340.jpg IMG_20200716_161358.jpg IMG_20200716_161408.jpg
This is a willow oak. Planted them about 10 years or so ago.