STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds great, Echo needs to get off their rear and come up with EFI.

So, what's up with the MS-290? Are they a good farm and firewood saw? Seems like you can always get a nice one for well under three bills from Fleabay or FB. If the 290 is just a bigger MS-250 then I would say it's a winner.
Rebuilt an ms 310 with an air leak. Same saw as the 290 but slightly bigger bore. I wasn't impressed. Plastic caged crank bearings, plastic caged clutch drum bearing. That all got upgraded. Spur sprocket upgraded to rim.

1 Bar stud was stripped out, where it screwed into plastic.

Open transfers didn't support the rings very well.

No flywheel key, just a dumb ass cast-in key on the flywheel.

Plastic oiler gear was stripped.

Got an echo cs 6700 for $225 and mildly ported it. Burbling rich at 13,700 rpms and it annihilated that plastic-Stihl . Needed way less parts too.

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuilt an ms 310 with an air leak. Same saw as the 290 but slightly bigger bore. I wasn't impressed. Plastic caged crank bearings, plastic caged clutch drum bearing. That all got upgraded. Spur sprocket upgraded to rim.

1 Bar stud was stripped out, where it screwed into plastic.

Open transfers didn't support the rings very well.

No flywheel key, just a dumb ass cast-in key on the flywheel.

Plastic oiler gear was stripped.

Got an echo cs 6700 for $225 and mildly ported it. Burbling rich at 13,700 rpms and it annihilated that plastic-Stihl . Needed way less parts too.

That series of Stihl clamshell saw is actually very tough and last a long time. You’re going to hate all the new saws if you dislike a key cast into the flywheel and lots of saws use plastic cage bearings to save the cylinder if the saw eats a bearing which eventually it will. Metal bearing cage almost always eats the top end plastic cage hurts nothing so unless a roller comes loose the top is fine. They also support the rings plenty well to run hundreds of hours. I’ll post pictures of the neighbors 290 when I get it he bought it new and has ran on 100:1 amsoil from the first day because his dad was a dealer. We’ll see what shape it’s in, only needs new bar stud runs fine but I told him I’ll the labor for free and put crank seals and else it needs for parts cost to see what it’s like inside.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That series of Stihl clamshell saw is actually very tough and last a long time. You’re going to hate all the new saws if you dislike a key cast into the flywheel and lots of saws use plastic cage bearings to save the cylinder if the saw eats a bearing which eventually it will. Metal bearing cage almost always eats the top end plastic cage hurts nothing so unless a roller comes loose the top is fine. They also support the rings plenty well to run hundreds of hours. I’ll post pictures of the neighbors 290 when I get it he bought it new and has ran on 100:1 amsoil from the first day because his dad was a dealer. We’ll see what shape it’s in, only needs new bar stud runs fine but I told him I’ll the labor for free and put crank seals and else it needs for parts cost to see what it’s like inside.

Saws an early 290 bought right around 2000 and the guy heats with wood and cleared land with it. In fact he still using who knows how old of oil still labeled 100:1 before they even called it saber. He bought several cases through his dad and is still running it.

hacskaroly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know several people with 310s and they have been great saws for them through out the years. One guy was gifted one from his grandfather, tore it down to clean it up and got it back together and is running it. When I started working at a dealer, I really liked the 311, but found that the 261 did a same/better job at less weight. I also have two 271s (both rebuilt project saws) and they run great too.

I don't doubt the CS 6700 will run circles around these. I agree about the built in flywheel key, I have taken several saws apart and then panic and start looking for the Woodruff key that fell out only to find out its built into the flywheel.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know several people with 310s and they have been great saws for them through out the years. One guy was gifted one from his grandfather, tore it down to clean it up and got it back together and is running it. When I started working at a dealer, I really liked the 311, but found that the 261 did a same/better job at less weight. I also have two 271s (both rebuilt project saws) and they run great too.

I don't doubt the CS 6700 will run circles around these. I agree about the built in flywheel key, I have taken several saws apart and then panic and start looking for the Woodruff key that fell out only to find out its built into the flywheel.

I don’t see any point in the 311 except it gives them a cc class and price point in homeowner saw the 391 is the same saw minus top end so why carry the weight with less power. Same as the 210-250 same family same weight but 35cc to 45cc almost makes no sense to buy unless that’s all you could scrape together.

hacskaroly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t see any point in the 311 except it gives them a cc class and price point in homeowner saw the 391 is the same saw minus top end so why carry the weight with less power. Same as the 210-250 same family same weight but 35cc to 45cc almost makes no sense to buy unless that’s all you could scrape together.
For those who know and use chainsaws, this is a good point. Many people coming to get saws are clueless about what they really need or have a certain price point they want to keep it at. They want a big saw but don't want to may very much. I have had several people come in (from California and other such locations) and dressed to the 9's in lumberjack gear, ready to go cutting down the forest and are hell bent on doing it with a MS 170. I at least try to talk them into a 171 because of the adjustable carb and the side mount bar adjustment...

Now that I know more about saws and have had more experience using them, I'd only get a 310/311 if it was a project saw at a really good price (or even free).

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those who know and use chainsaws, this is a good point. Many people coming to get saws are clueless about what they really need or have a certain price point they want to keep it at. They want a big saw but don't want to may very much. I have had several people come in (from California and other such locations) and dressed to the 9's in lumberjack gear, ready to go cutting down the forest and are hell bent on doing it with a MS 170. I at least try to talk them into a 171 because of the adjustable carb and the side mount bar adjustment...

Now that I know more about saws and have had more experience using them, I'd only get a 310/311 if it was a project saw at a really good price (or even free).

I was given a 311 in decent shape for free. I haven't had the nerve to spend the bucks on a new fuel- and air-filter for it to give it a try.