STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds great, Echo needs to get off their rear and come up with EFI.

So, what's up with the MS-290? Are they a good farm and firewood saw? Seems like you can always get a nice one for well under three bills from Fleabay or FB. If the 290 is just a bigger MS-250 then I would say it's a winner.

The ms 210, 230 and 250 are the same series. The ms 290, 310 and 390 are the next one. The 210 is 35cc, 230 40cc, 250 45cc then the next run in that era is the 290 at 57cc the 310 at 59cc and the 390 at 64cc. These are all good saws, then awhile back they made the 270/280 all its own series and kinda weird looking ect and short lived. Then the current ones are the 211/231/251, 271/291, 311/391.
Now the new current ones are the 162/172/182/212. All these are homeowner clamshells so a bit heavier but the 290-390 are excellent saws that have cut a ton of wood.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Truth be told, right now I don't put enough hours on the saws I do have although hopefully I'll be able to soon.
I hear that, I spend more time working on saws than using them...I think I am getting close to having a good base to work with. I have a USFS wood permit that allows me up to 12 cord/year for free, I really need to start putting a dent into that.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds great, Echo needs to get off their rear and come up with EFI.

So, what's up with the MS-290? Are they a good farm and firewood saw? Seems like you can always get a nice one for well under three bills from Fleabay or FB. If the 290 is just a bigger MS-250 then I would say it's a winner.

As far as efi I’m not sure any other saw company will invest in it, echo makes a good saw and everything but not sure they feel they have enough market share spend the time and money. Husky has seemed to be investing more in battery as of late and Stihl is too but almost sounds like husky wants to go completely battery at times. Where my wife works they all had dealing with husky on warranty and or buying parts because so slow. Have 4 saws in back that need 200$ ish carb I guess because the solenoid was bad and you can’t buy them separately like Stihl.
Been waiting on the carbs for 3-4 weeks.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was there some kind of known issue with those grenading like that?
The piston is prone to cracking on the intake side. Stihl revised the saw a couple of years ago to remove a notch in the piston. That revision was serious. Different case halves, and a new cylinder and piston. In my opinion, this unit should have been recalled.
I don’t know exactly what I’m guessing but I don’t think it’s a version 1 462 because I don’t see the diverter on cases.
It is a first version. The diverter has been broken off.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston is prone to cracking on the intake side. Stihl revised the saw a couple of years ago to remove a notch in the piston. That revision was serious. Different case halves, and a new cylinder and piston. In my opinion, this unit should have been recalled.

It is a first version. The diverter has been broken off.

If I remember correctly the version 2 has a silver label instead of white on the front of case. Which will allow a person to tell unless the sticker is gone.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember correctly the version 2 has a silver label instead of white on the front of case. Which will allow a person to tell unless the sticker is gone.
True. The serial number says that this is a version one.

20241017_132045.jpg