High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, heres a question for the hive mind, early MS261CM, straight finned jug, saw was straight gassed, put new cylinder/piston in, started and ran great seating the rings, let it sit to idle and heat cycle after a few light cuts to initially seat the rings, died at idle, thought it ran out of fuel... nope, 1/4 tank still... topped off and attempted starting, saw flooded... found no spark with 3 different spark plugs (ngk that saw was running on, new ngk, and new bosch) and 2 different Stihl ZAT4 spark testers... nothing at all... ohmed out the wiring harness, all connections are solid, 0.1ohm continuity, no chafing anywhere... spark plug lead to ground showed 1.72k ohms, within spec of 1.5-12k ohms, tried a brand new fuel solenoid, no change...

whats the chances that the stupid expensive module is at fault???

Maybe @Mastermind has seen something like this before?
Have a 261 that wont start hot,,,,, ya done it all,, next is a trip to a friendly dealer to scan it.
Other than that a fab saw for its size.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a 261 that wont start hot,,,,, ya done it all,, next is a trip to a friendly dealer to scan it.
Other than that a fab saw for its size.
I am the friendly dealer 🤣🤣🤣 guess i gotta pull out the MDG and see what it says....

Attachments

• 17254698456457477477501121292344.jpg
    17254698456457477477501121292344.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 19

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had good luck with aftermarket automotive rebuild PCM's, I wonder if this module could be done? It only controls two things doesn't it?

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, found a used coil for cheap cheap on eBay. See if that fixes my problem, otherwise I'm going to have to go OEM, or switch it over to the 291 carb coil and flywheel that I have sitting in my boxel parts, would rather have mtronic though

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What he said
was quoted bout $150 cad here for the coil n brain part.
This is what i got, the seller has another one with the harness and air guide/switch on it for $35, dont know if they would ship to maple leaf land though, might be an option.... then again no garuntee that it will work either, thats worth a $25 gamble to me... the coil retails for $145 here in NY... granted i get parts cheaper, but so far i have $10 invested in this saw aside from the coil thats on its way... so if i dont have to lay out oodles of money i wont....LOL

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3:1, bad connection. I say, bad hookup 🤣
Jiggle the wires
While i would agree, i ohm'd out the harness in as many bizarre angles as i could, and flexing any part that looked even remotely suspisious... i am not new to mtronic... 🤣🤣🤣 had coil and harness out and back in 2x today, with no spark, and no connection to the mdg, connector for the mdg is on the carb harness, not the main harness, and still continuity tested fine...

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While i would agree, i ohm'd out the harness in as many bizarre angles as i could, and flexing any part that looked even remotely suspisious... i am not new to mtronic... 🤣🤣🤣 had coil and harness out and back in 2x today, with no spark, and no connection to the mdg, connector for the mdg is on the carb harness, not the main harness, and still continuity tested fine...
Mtronic is great, when it works :p. I kinda prefer it in the newer saws

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what i got, the seller has another one with the harness and air guide/switch on it for $35, dont know if they would ship to maple leaf land though, might be an option.... then again no garuntee that it will work either, thats worth a $25 gamble to me... the coil retails for $145 here in NY... granted i get parts cheaper, but so far i have $10 invested in this saw aside from the coil thats on its way... so if i dont have to lay out oodles of money i wont....LOL
Also, full disclosure, going to be doing an experiment on this one, putting a 362 m tronic coil in a 261... cant see any reason it wouldnt work, coil mount is the same as far as i can see comparing my 362 and 261 coils, only reason i havent swapped coils that way because the 362 is not mtronic...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, full disclosure, going to be doing an experiment on this one, putting a 362 m tronic coil in a 261... cant see any reason it wouldnt work, coil mount is the same as far as i can see comparing my 362 and 261 coils, only reason i havent swapped coils that way because the 362 is not mtronic...
I was wondering....

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wondering....
I see no reason why it wouldnt work, both mtronic carbs have the same harness, only difference is the secondary butterfly and smaller primary venturi on the 362, one would think it shouldnt have too different of a timing and fuelling map...

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thats now sold.
I will wait for you to post on the coil,,,,

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m going to guess the 362 coil won’t run quite right on the 261 but we’ll see I guess.
I’m thinking the timing and fuel map will be off enough where it won’t run well. No point in Stihl making two parts if one works for both. Also it probably will vary on what version mtronic it has for all of it to work together well. 261 mtronic version 1 and 2 have a different jet in carb vs version 3.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just need a crank for a 261, got one here that’s nice shape that I bought as a parts saw but lower rod bearing is loose