STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am calling the scrap heap ms661 a success... stock bottom end, Cross/MMWS jug and piston, muffler mod (pulled the baffle and opened up the exhaust port to almost the full size of the guard) and a modded mccullogh 32" hardnose, because it was free... LOL

Total investment: $25....cost of enjoyment: Priceless...

Also fun side note, cut wood at a friends place, whos a tree guy, had 2 of his guys (both very familiar with a 661) start it and play with it... niether went for the compression release, both about kissed the saw on the first start attempt (remember that 210psi compression? LOL ) even after being warned it was worked over and a bit hard to pull.... LOL

Ended up putting almost a half gallon thru it today...ran flawless and very strong... i bet it would pull a roller nose way quicker theu the wood....

Side note, are there any high output oilers for a 661? Even after knocking the pin in and cranking the oiler all the way up, i dont like how dry the chain is, especially for a hard nose bar (for the time being)

So in digging around the day after this video, i happened to find a 36" roller nose sitting in the attic... happened to be a d009 mount, so busted out the rotary tool and carbides, and opened her up to 12mm.... and voila... we now have a roller nose bar for this sucker... which, my suspicions appear to be correct initially, that the ole hardnose was burning off a lot if oil, as i had to turn the oiler way down in testing this bar for fitment, had oil errywhere....LOL

Not sure when the next time it will see wood is gonna be, but im looking forward to it...LOL

20240203_105147.jpg

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this coil from the local shop as a spare/ in case I have a 461 ported 2 leg coil. Am I right in assuming there’s no rev limiter in it?

Attachments

• E90F796D-525C-488F-B888-2F20ED5595F1.jpeg
    E90F796D-525C-488F-B888-2F20ED5595F1.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 5

emorris191145

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys! I'm Real new here, so please be nice. lol, I just have a quick question. I was wondering where I would find aa couple of pages (12-13) which seem to be missing in every workshop manual I have seen, for the Stihl 070/090. Could anyone direct me to what part of this site I would navigate too? Thank you in advance, for any help.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys! I'm Real new here, so please be nice. lol, I just have a quick question. I was wondering where I would find aa couple of pages (12-13) which seem to be missing in every workshop manual I have seen, for the Stihl 070/090. Could anyone direct me to what part of this site I would navigate too? Thank you in advance, for any help.
If you don’t get them before I get home I’ll send them

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t find my 070/090 manual at the moment so will need to do some digging.

emorris191145

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure, but if you read page 14, it abruptly starts with the words "rollers. The bearing fits at the conrod are classified into two dimension groups:" from there, there is a chart about red and green dimension groups. So, I feel those two pages might have something pertinent to the building of the saw. (Plus, I'm just curious as hell).

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure, but if you read page 14, it abruptly starts with the words "rollers. The bearing fits at the conrod are classified into two dimension groups:" from there, there is a chart about red and green dimension groups. So, I feel those two pages might have something pertinent to the building of the saw. (Plus, I'm just curious as hell).
If no manual has them they probably grouped all saws into the same clearance group and omitted it from the manual because it doesn’t matter anymore. Maybe te contra/lightning was that way and it was a running change as the 090 came out

emorris191145

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very well could be. well, I do want to thank everyone who has taken the time to pursue this, like I said before...I love this site, ya'll have been very helpful. If somehow I was to find those missing pages, I definitely would be posting them for anyone. Thanks again.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this coil from the local shop as a spare/ in case I have a 461 ported 2 leg coil. Am I right in assuming there’s no rev limiter in it?

Yes your assumptions are right, no rev limiter, those are unlimited coils.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my 090 running again tonight but I can't get it tuned quite right, can anyone here tell me good starting carb settings? I tried 1 and 1 like I always do but I can't get the chain to stop moving.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my 090 running again tonight but I can't get it tuned quite right, can anyone here tell me good starting carb settings? I tried 1 and 1 like I always do but I can't get the chain to stop moving.
Well if I remember correctly you’re supposed to lock the air vane governor out when tuning them. Chains still moves when the idle adjustment is backed way off? If it does the low needs to be opened up more because it’s lean.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a 041 that runs great after you get it started. The problem is when you set the throttle lock for first start it does not open the butterfly any on the carb.. Yes the linkage has a little slop in it.anyone else run into this?
Thank you.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ordered new carb linkage. Maybe that will fix it.