STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grind em down to just be a tie strap. And if one comes loose...? The chain has probably seen better days already and should be replaced since they are tie straps too.

Good video on the 'welding' process. Yours will be easy when it starts leaking again. ;)

Does sure seal not work very well?

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone. I have been reading for a bit as I am looking into purchasing a new saw (grandpas needs a rebuild and I am not set up to do it yet). Did the 462 come with a standard carburetor at all? I thought I read that was so but did not find anything concrete. Thanks for any help.
Some shops are having difficulty getting the M-tronic saws in my area ,but I've seen a few of the carburetor ones.
M-tronic would be my Choice also .
The M-tronic systems are easy to reset at home and always keep the saw in tune a real pleasure to cut with, takes all the guess work out of " do I hear 4 stroking? Or the rev limiter?"

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. You can get it either way. Why would you seek out a standard carb rather than an M-Tronic saw though?
Mastermind,

I do not know enough about the Mtronic saws. I like the ease of a standard carburetor because that is what I know how to work on, but I need to do more research. Can you give me any insight or thoughts? I realize you and others here know a lot more about these saws than I do. Just curious how close/different the mtronic saws are compared to the carb saws.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mastermind,

I do not know enough about the Mtronic saws. I like the ease of a standard carburetor because that is what I know how to work on, but I need to do more research. Can you give me any insight or thoughts? I realize you and others here know a lot more about these saws than I do. Just curious how close/different the mtronic saws are compared to the carb saws.
In my humble opinion, the M-Tronic saws are miles ahead. Should an M-Tronic unit need anything, it's usually a solenoid on the carb. Very simple to replace, and then it can be reset by the customer in a couple of minutes. Unless a person is the best tuner on earth.....who is able to retune the carb hundreds of times per minute, there is no possible way to match the performance of the M-Tronic saws.

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my humble opinion, the M-Tronic saws are miles ahead. Should an M-Tronic unit need anything, it's usually a solenoid on the carb. Very simple to replace, and then it can be reset by the customer in a couple of minutes. Unless a person is the best tuner on earth.....who is able to retune the carb hundreds of times per minute, there is no possible way to match the performance of the M-Tronic saws.
Thank you for the input

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
M-Tronic saws definitely had some growing pains -- particularly the MS661. Folks got a bit gun shy back then and some of that still lingers, plus it was a radical departure from a plain ol' carbureted chainsaw, which it still actually was (is) -- (just constantly being adjusted by a very fast microprocessor as already mentioned). Stihl eventually sorted it out, the waters calmed, and other M-Tronic models were gaining a solid reputation for performance and reliability.

There's a bit of a learning curve understanding what you have on your hands, but spend a little time on the forums reading up on the M-Tronic saws and you will also soon be 'miles ahead' of what most dealers know.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
M-Tronic saws definitely had some growing pains -- particularly the MS661. Folks got a bit gun shy back then and some of that still lingers, plus it was a radical departure from a plain ol' carbureted chainsaw, which it still actually was (is) -- (just constantly being adjusted by a very fast microprocessor as already mentioned). Stihl eventually sorted it out, the waters calmed, and other M-Tronic models were gaining a solid reputation for performance and reliability.

There's a bit of a learning curve understanding what you have on your hands, but spend a little time on the forums reading up on the M-Tronic saws and you will also soon be 'miles ahead' of what most dealers know.
Excellent post sir.

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know if the 088 oil pumps can be used on the 084? Other than the piston pump having a longer stroke on the 088 pump they look about the same. I think one of the plastic spur gears might be a little different buts that not a big deal.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know if the 088 oil pumps can be used on the 084? Other than the piston pump having a longer stroke on the 088 pump they look about the same. I think one of the plastic spur gears might be a little different buts that not a big deal.

I don't think so.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grind em down to just be a tie strap. And if one comes loose...? The chain has probably seen better days already and should be replaced since they are tie straps too.

Good video on the 'welding' process. Yours will be easy when it starts leaking again. ;)

Guess what? The Sure Seal peeled like a week old scab after i filled the tank with mix. I kind of expected it to last a little while longer, but at least it didn't fail while I was cutting trees down.
Briefly I considered getting an am tank but I'm willing to go deep on this one ,and followed the video about welding plastic. 20230409_093427.jpg
I did clean it but this is the final result of the seal with my soldering iron.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20230409_093641.jpg

It held 15lbs for about 10minutes then I bumped it up to 20 for 5 minutes and it didn't move.
20230409_095646.jpg
I'm only dicking with this tank this last time though! So I covered the weld with JB and used a heat gun to smooth it out.
I feel like this is the permanent fix ,one way or another....

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think so.

Yeah, they're not interchangeable. It's the output side that's different - 084 has an external pipe with an external hose, like an 034/064 (but much
longer). 088/MS-880 uses passages in the crankcase with no external pipe or hose (similar to MS-660/661).

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess what? The Sure Seal peeled like a week old scab after i filled the tank with mix. I kind of expected it to last a little while longer, but at least it didn't fail while I was cutting trees down.
Briefly I considered getting an am tank but I'm willing to go deep on this one ,and followed the video about welding plastic. View attachment 373261
I did clean it but this is the final result of the seal with my soldering iron.
I just plastic welded an 044 tank. Seems to be good to go.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a stihl guy…all I did was pull the screws out of these mounts to remove the handle and put them back. Now one mount is proud and one sunk. Proud is gonna get chewed by the chain. It was late, probably missed something dumb, but pointers appreciated.

B6F08653-CB78-4E04-B11C-B440E1A447CE.jpegAF52A959-1186-4400-9154-6FFD84775896.jpeg

Craddock

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is anyone else having issues getting new saws? I'm looking for a MS261 CM and had my local shop order it about a month ago and they seem to have no idea when it will come in.

This is the first good saw I've bought, I've used cheap off the shelf brands before this.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is anyone else having issues getting new saws? I'm looking for a MS261 CM and had my local shop order it about a month ago and they seem to have no idea when it will come in.

This is the first good saw I've bought, I've used cheap off the shelf brands before this.
You're gonna like it.

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, they're not interchangeable. It's the output side that's different - 084 has an external pipe with an external hose, like an 034/064 (but much
longer). 088/MS-880 uses passages in the crankcase with no external pipe or hose (similar to MS-660/661).
Well crap, I wondered if something like that would be the case. Guess I will continue my hunt for an 084 oil pump. Thanks JJ.