STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They've been involved with Ace Hardware in Ohio for awhile now. Northern Tool was a surprise not too long ago, but Rural King seems to be scrapin' the bottom of the retail chain barrel -- at least based on how RK stacks up in my area of Ohio. Guess I can see it in more remote (relatively speaking) areas where they may be the only game in town. Just not a good look for Stihl and you can't get much more contrary to their image of "exclusivity" than RK. May be different in your neck o' the woods, but Rural Kings around here are sh!t-holes.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They've been involved with Ace Hardware in Ohio for awhile now. Northern Tool was a surprise not too long ago, but Rural King seems to be scrapin' the bottom of the retail chain barrel -- at least based on how RK stacks up in my area of Ohio. Guess I can see it in more remote (relatively speaking) areas where they may be the only game in town. Just not a good look for Stihl and you can't get much more contrary to their image of "exclusivity" than RK. May be different in your neck o' the woods, but Rural Kings around here are sh!t-holes.

Besides the stand alone dealers that only sell outdoor power equipment -- one of the largest is a hardware store in our area. They DON'T have the lowest parts price markups in the greater area, though the guys at the counter are reasonably nice to deal with. One of the larger volume dealers is a stand alone OPE dealer. They have much better parts prices and are far more knowledgeable. As for the new kid on the block Northern Tool -- they are pretty much clueless for now. I asked an associate about something and they had no clue what I was talking about. I guess I expect they should be on the ball if they hang out a shingle. :D

happysawer4741

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I understood to sell the Sthil saws you had to have a full service Dept. my ACE Hardwares have this, does Northen Tool have this at their stores that sell Sthil saws?

happysawer4741

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Besides the stand alone dealers that only sell outdoor power equipment -- one of the largest is a hardware store in our area. They DON'T have the lowest parts price markups in the greater area, though the guys at the counter are reasonably nice to deal with. One of the larger volume dealers is a stand alone OPE dealer. They have much better parts prices and are far more knowledgeable. As for the new kid on the block Northern Tool -- they are pretty much clueless for now. I asked an associate about something and they had no clue what I was talking about. I guess I expect they should be on the ball if they hang out a shingle. :D
If you google Northen Tool about what customers say, you find many very unhappy customers.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Rural King here became Stock and Field a few months ago .I think all the saw stuff is home owner grade Husqvarna .A few months ago, maybe end of August I tried to find some bar oil all they or TSC had was that high priced Husqvarna branded oil ,I passed on that . Had enough to get by until about the end of Oct and by then Stock and Field had some generic stuff for a reasonable price . I'll wait until about mid March because they will be trying to be rid of it by then and be on sale . 15 bucks a gallon --nonsense ---

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now then Northern is another story .I used them several times and have a catalog they sent me .They became a pain in the behind dealing with .Before you could even get the entire order in they tried to sell you a warrantee .Say what a 10 dollar hydraulic fitting you want two bucks to cover --kiss my grits .I use Surplus Hydraulics now, much less pushy and unlike Northern and Baileys don't back order stuff and you get the parts two months from now .Less than a week from surplus and they have a better selection plus show exactly how many they have in stock before you order it and verify that when you place the order .---grumpy old fart who doesn't play patty cake .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Totally depends on the management and staff. Our RK is on point, they do a great job. Their service department does OPE and farm equipment.

tspeedle

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I do not have that specific data at my disposal. Depending on the age of the saw, it may indeed already be a v3.x firmware saw. Look carefully at the label/sticker on the rear handle foot pad for M3.0 as illustrated. If it's there, you're relatively up to date and/or have a serial number falling into the range after the one listd in the document. If not, the ECM (coil) number will indicate the probable firmware version (either v1.0 or v1.1). The color of the carb solenoid can also occasionally shed light on the production era..., especially if green.

The actual hardware issues (bottom end big end bearing failures and top end lean condition damage) were largely due to firmware inadequacies, though I have been told there are confidential internal documents detailing the component failure of the crankshaft in earlier production units.

I hope this helps somewhat.

That picture/document states “on rear handle label” but shows a brake handle label (like on the Euro saws)!?! Where is that MX.X on a real rear handle label located then?

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i had a couple 064's come to me without mufflers,then a buddy who cuts wood with a 064 asked if i had an extra muffler.
Does a 066/660 fit?
Any aftermarket ones any good,fit?
Thanks

happysawer4741

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Now then Northern is another story .I used them several times and have a catalog they sent me .They became a pain in the behind dealing with .Before you could even get the entire order in they tried to sell you a warrantee .Say what a 10 dollar hydraulic fitting you want two bucks to cover --kiss my grits .I use Surplus Hydraulics now, much less pushy and unlike Northern and Baileys don't back order stuff and you get the parts two months from now .Less than a week from surplus and they have a better selection plus show exactly how many they have in stock before you order it and verify that when you place the order .---grumpy old fart who doesn't play patty cake .
I applied for a part time job with Northern got the background check and the morning i was to start, manager got me setup then said you will start tomorow was there just 45 minuets, i went home and googled what Northern employees were saying about working there, i took all there stuff i was given back the next day gave it to the lady at door said i was not going to be working there.
I later received a check for the 45 minuets around $7 dollars, i just mailed it back with "Keep your money I don't need it"

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does a 066/660 fit?
Yes. 1122-140-0602 is the standard 1122 muffler housing that fits all of em. Several variants and all should fit. Lots of aftermarket sources if you search the 0602 part number. FWIW, I've found the cheapie aftermarket mufflers to be junk that'll rust out before you know it. Buy from a reputable source that'll make good on their product if it happens to disintegrate before your eyes..., or go used OEM.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I applied for a part time job with Northern got the background check and the morning i was to start, manager got me setup then said you will start tomorow was there just 45 minuets, i went home and googled what Northern employees were saying about working there, i took all there stuff i was given back the next day gave it to the lady at door said i was not going to be working there.
I later received a check for the 45 minuets around $7 dollars, i just mailed it back with "Keep your money I don't need it"

Do they have more than one location? There can be alot of variance from one store to another in retail type jobs. Also, I'm sure you already know this but the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure" applies to employers as much as anything else!

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. 1122-140-0602 is the standard 1122 muffler housing that fits all of em. Several variants and all should fit. Lots of aftermarket sources if you search the 0602 part number. FWIW, I've found the cheapie aftermarket mufflers to be junk that'll rust out before you know it. Buy from a reputable source that'll make good on their product if it happens to disintegrate before your eyes..., or go used OEM.
Awesome thanks that's what i was looking for...
Is there a spacer used as well?