STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

kjmatson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Early filter base / early tank. 1122 350 0816

Not going to be easy finding one cheap and probably not available as aftermarket. May need to go with the 0817 and swap out the intake/filter base stuff just for economic reasons alone.

Good luck.
Thank you, looks like a fun project

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These 011 models seem to pop up every so often .I have one in the shed I believe is all white .It did run, was a freebie but I've never done a thing with it .I'll dig it out and take a picture .Too damned cold at this hour ,24 degrees out ,brr.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was an all white 015L (except for the tank cover) that I always thought looked pretty sharp. Was one listed on Marketplace just the other day.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's another one .I landed a pristine 015 once owned by a doctor that the dealer had .It came with several new 1/4" chains, a case and a spare bar,50 bucks .I bought it for my wife's cousin who had a bad back and it worked out great for him .For an itty bitty little thing it had enough for a fire wooder .He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and brought it back once with a plugged up air filter, easy fix .:)

dcgm

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all, just picked up a lightly used 461R and interested in trying a simple muffler mod and tune as detailed here by MustangMike: https://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-ms461-problems.14164/#post-745190

I see some sources saying that the limiter plugs on the carb are required to hold the adjustment screws in place, and without them the screws will walk out under vibration. Before proceeding, I wanted to check that pulling the plugs, trimming the tabs, and reinstalling them (with e.g. a drywall screw) will hold the adjustment screws in place. Does anyone know? Thanks!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.
You only really have to trim the plastic limiter tabs. The tabs that restrict the movement of the adjustment screws.
As far as muffler mods go, there are many options. 461s like to breathe...

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The necessary range to re-tune after modifying the muffler may already be there without trimming the tabs. Depends on where the screws were set when the limiters were installed. I've also found pieces of fuel line slipped over the screws in place of the limiters is an effective way to keep them from backing out and also provides a guide (of sorts) for tuning. I've had little success removing limiters without damaging them..., even when using the Stihl reverse thread pulling tool. They're meant to be replaced with new ones after removal and priced accordingly.

And as mentioned, they don't need to be removed just to trim the tabs.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not certain about Stihl but I've had to retune a couple of Echoes .Evidently they just set them and never paid attention to what area of the country they might be sold at .If you can imagine northern Ohio is around 890 feet above sea lever while Denver Colorado is upwards of 5,000 feet .So those carb settings could be off by a long ways and the saw would not run well .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a picture of the 011 which is white except the orange top cover

Attachments

• DSCN0840[1].JPG
    DSCN0840[1].JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 13

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best I’ve gathered this is the thread to post Stihl Qs. I’ve got a an 046 (not the one Dad gave me) I’m checking squish on. Everyone I’ve seen post squish on 046/460s usually are sub .020” sans gasket.
This one measured .028” with no gasket. What’s up with that?? D port cyl (haven’t put a wheel on it) & serial 137178524. Squish band & piston cleaned so no carbon skewing. Thanks y’all!

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best I’ve gathered this is the thread to post Stihl Qs. I’ve got a an 046 (not the one Dad gave me) I’m checking squish on. Everyone I’ve seen post squish on 046/460s usually are sub .020” sans gasket.
This one measured .028” with no gasket. What’s up with that?? D port cyl (haven’t put a wheel on it) & serial 137178524. Squish band & piston cleaned so no carbon skewing. Thanks y’all!

are you sure it’s oem piston and cylinder

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir I’m not. That would explain every bit of it if it is an aftermarket piston. I know the previous owner of the saw (and also same owner of a 460 I’m working on as well). I’ll ask him if he recalls if everything’s own or not.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get some variation depending on how you crush the soft solder if that's what you use .The only ones I can remember ,with a gasket is an 038 mag ,stock about 46 thou . A 200T at around 36 thou . Could vary some .Some people use dial verniers but I'm old school and use a set of manual read Starrett 0-1" mics could be off a few thou .I trust the mics over the verniers .
If I cut a base I always use a gasket and try for 22-23 thou head deck, piston crown clearance I miss every so often and have to cut a thicker gasket . Things happen you know .

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the responses! I’ll have to check for casting marks this evening. I’m using a German made Fowler Helios caliper. I use 4 pcs solder on the piston at each “corner” and at the very edge of the piston to get the closest measurement. I roll the piston slowly back and forth passing TDC 10 or so times (w/ cylinder torqued down & gasketless) then remove solder.
I gently close to caliper to just touch the far edge (most squished) of the solder and then adjust by a thou either way until the solder will slide into the caliper a mm deep or so. I’ve found if I just squish the caliper onto the solder it reads a thou plus or minus vs the above.