STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do believe they’re having some issue making them fast enough. Even overseas they’re not in endless supply’s. I’m sure it’s only one part making the 500’s not like they quit making 462’s ect and made in Germany so wonder what the plant capacity is there. From what I understand the Virginia Beach plant is stihls largest manufacturing facility.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife had Stihl training last week and what Stihl said there is we can’t get a 500 i yet because they can’t make them fast enough so sounds like mid summer

That is an interesting comment and a little different than a tech told me today. Sounds like they are reworking the bottom end to better support use of bars over 28". Not sure if working on the cases themselves to make them stronger or just messing with the AV.

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there not a specific 500i thread going?
I wanna know more
They’ve been out awhile now somebody’s used and abused probably even ruined one.
Plenty of first use vids. How about extended use.
Yeah I kind of want one. Think I’m waiting till their actually available in the USA. Maybe not.
I’d also like to hear more from them really cool guys
Who are porting. How do they stack up?

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there not a specific 500i thread going?
I wanna know more
They’ve been out awhile now somebody’s used and abused probably even ruined one.
Plenty of first use vids. How about extended use.
Yeah I kind of want one. Think I’m waiting till their actually available in the USA. Maybe not.
I’d also like to hear more from them really cool guys
Who are porting. How do they stack up?

Here's a thread I did on mine from new until porting. These saws gain a lot after break-in it seems.

http://opeforum.com/threads/old-dirty-feta-and-the-ms500i-the-hi-tech-wood-lobotomizer.16552/

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
660 cylinder question at the end of this post.
My other saws have different cylinders than these. I dug out some A 1122e and A 1122a 54 jugs with thick bases, no flywheel cuts on the transfer tunnel (not sure if they had it on any 1122), nice plating in them, different intake and exhaust port windows, combustion chambers appear the same, little core shift, decomp on both, fairly flat bands, hemi chambers, nice ports with little casting flash and giant edges on the lower transfer entry like always. To me both overall are very nice cylinders. They do have a fairly large ring off death up top.

1122E has a + on the intake port
1122A does not

1122A is marked
O 1/8

3308/1 3

1122E is marked
O 4/8

330/1 1

Both are trademarked Stihl®
Both had been fitted with AB pistons originally.

My question is with a base gasket delete and 20ish squish where will compression land with a stock piston vs the Hyway pop up?
Just curious.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20200329_182647.jpg 20200329_183831.jpg 20200329_183803.jpg 20200329_182709.jpg 20200329_182651.jpg
I tore into the ms441 today. Honestly not the dirtiest saw I ever worked on but certainly in the top 3 .
This was alittle more convoluted then most saws I've had, getting the tank separated was a chore and it'll be fun to get it back in!
The cylinder has multiple issues like the spark plug hole was fitted with a steel insert that was messed up and the exhaust bolts where man handled, one hole in the pto side case for the lower exhaust bolt is just gone and the other lower was whallered out to fit a larger bolt. Excessive cylinder wear was not really one of the problems with this saw.
I did notice that the strato throttle plate was not opening to full when the trigger is wot?
It looks as though no knowledgeable person cared for this saw or they had more $$$ then brains , I mean this thing probably cost 700.00 dollars new at least, and everything that was"repaired" was f@#ked up even a washer tied to the top of the elasto-cord handle ....I don't get.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh well then the insult is greater. I figure the money I put into it is well spent. Any advice on building it is appreciated.
Take a ibuprofen for the headache, that’s the best advice I can offer when working on the ms441. Especially the mtronic version.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh well then the insult is greater. I figure the money I put into it is well spent. Any advice on building it is appreciated.
Sell it for parts.
I worked on one... not mine... and ran an a few. It's smooth.
Lacking imo. It don't come to life with a muffler mod like other four series Stihl saws.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sell it for parts.
I worked on one... not mine... and ran an a few. It's smooth.
Lacking imo. It don't come to life with a muffler mod like other four series Stihl saws.
Yep... needs ported and westcoast av spring, clutch cover, dogs, roller and oiler kit installed then I like it.

Last edited: