DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 120 runs fine and starts well. She feels heavy compared to a 120 si this is due to the fact
that many parts are made of metal rather than plastic: Starter housing, recoil drum, cylinder hood and tank unit.
With this 120 the air-filter cover already is plastic, my previous one had a metal cover.
The 120si is significantly more powerful and agile than the 120, much more than you would expect from 7 cc of additional displacement.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would agree I feel a lot of the extra comes from the ignition on the 120si. A 120 super is not the same as an si even with the extra 7cc. I still like running a 120 though

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys,
I’m making plans to rebuild a 7910 and had a couple questions.
Other than the side the decomp is on, is there any difference in the cylinder porting between 7900 and 7910? Do you guys feel one is stronger than the other? I know the 7900 has the higher limit coil, but does the actual cylinder make any difference?
Second, the 7900 and 7910 have a slab sided piston with a lot of clearance around the transfer lowers but a Solo 681 has a windowed piston with less clearance for the lowers. Is there any advantage to using a 681 piston? Perhaps one is lighter than the other?
Third, since 681’s have a longer stroke, I’m thinking about swapping a 681 crank into my 7910. Does anyone have any advice in that department?

I appreciate your time fellas.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys,
I’m making plans to rebuild a 7910 and had a couple questions.
Other than the side the decomp is on, is there any difference in the cylinder porting between 7900 and 7910? Do you guys feel one is stronger than the other? I know the 7900 has the higher limit coil, but does the actual cylinder make any difference?
Second, the 7900 and 7910 have a slab sided piston with a lot of clearance around the transfer lowers but a Solo 681 has a windowed piston with less clearance for the lowers. Is there any advantage to using a 681 piston? Perhaps one is lighter than the other?
Third, since 681’s have a longer stroke, I’m thinking about swapping a 681 crank into my 7910. Does anyone have any advice in that department?

I appreciate your time fellas.
To my knowledge the cylinder porting is similar on the old PS-7900 and the PS-7910/EA7900, although some things changed, like the decomp location. The piston did change from windowed to solid. The current oem PS-7910/EA7900 cylinders all have the slab sided piston. The older PS-7900 had the windowed piston, but the newer offering of the older PS-7900 oem p/c comes with the slab sided piston. That kit goes by the description "DCS7901", which was a saw that was never officially offered over here, but the p/c kit is. There are places that still have them in stock.

I don't know if there would be a benefit to using the windowed 681 piston in that set up, but I do believe the pin to crown height is a tad bit taller on the 681 piston than on the 7900 piston.

The crank swap has been done before. Ole' @Fruecrue did it a few years ago, and that saw ran great!

I'm a little rusty on the above info, but @huskihl may be able to shed some more light on it for you. Especially from a performance standpoint.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To my knowledge the cylinder porting is similar on the old PS-7900 and the PS-7910/EA7900, although some things changed, like the decomp location. The piston did change from windowed to solid. The current oem PS-7910/EA7900 cylinders all have the slab sided piston. The older PS-7900 had the windowed piston, but the newer offering of the older PS-7900 oem p/c comes with the slab sided piston. That kit goes by the description "DCS7901", which was a saw that was never officially offered over here, but the p/c kit is. There are places that still have them in stock.

I don't know if there would be a benefit to using the windowed 681 piston in that set up, but I do believe the pin to crown height is a tad bit taller on the 681 piston than on the 7900 piston.

The crank swap has been done before. Ole' @Fruecrue did it a few years ago, and that saw ran great!

I'm a little rusty on the above info, but @huskihl may be able to shed some more light on it for you. Especially from a performance standpoint.
I couldn’t tell much difference between piston performance but always thought the slr type newer cylinders ran a hair better

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn’t tell much difference between piston performance but always thought the slr type newer cylinders ran a hair better
The exhaust outlet is bigger, will breathe easier once the SLR is removed.
I love my MM'ed PS-7310!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a slab side piston and a 681 crank on the shelf to put in a 7901 over the winter. There will be "other" supporting mods to go with it.

If you beat me to it @Ketchup feel free to post how it went. A build thread would be great!

Last edited:

Wilhelm

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It still looks neat. How rare is the CE model?
@old_sir_henry might know, he is the German Dolmar know-it-all! :)

I stumbled upon mine, though it was a custom paint job and spike just to find out she is OEM special after having purchased her.
Not that she features special performance, it is just cosmetic - still, with the Dolmar brand suspended she IS special! 😎:thumbsup:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@old_sir_henry might know, he is the German Dolmar know-it-all! :)

Don't overestimate me, please! The carbon edition was offered IIRC around late 2013 and 2014 when selling rates of the 6100 seemed not to meet the company's expectations. Can't tell you how many factury supplied 6100-CE shipped but once in a while you'll find one and saws with customer-applied carbon-foil-look as well.
If any of the 6100 will make as a collector's item, it probably will be the CE

Wilhelm

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't overestimate me, please! The carbon edition was offered IIRC around late 2013 and 2014 when selling rates of the 6100 seemed not to meet the company's expectations. Can't tell you how many factory supplied 6100-CE shipped but once in a while you'll find one and saws with customer-applied carbon-foil-look as well.
If any of the 6100 will make as a collector's item, it probably will be the CE
Old_Reliable_Sir_Henry, one can count on You to be more informative than any Dolmar (Makita) official!

Thank Tou very much! :thumbsup: 😎 :beer-toast1: