Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not since my father in law passed away.
I know you are somewhat in the Knoxville area. I just wondered if you ever hunted with Cas Walker. Lots of shall we say "differing" opinions on him. My Grandpa bought many dogs from him and had great respect for him but the last was a real dud. Last night I watched a short bit of a video on him and there is about a two minute segment that explains why the last dog from him might have been a dud. That dog was the only dog in my life that I ever shot. Now I did not shoot him because he was a dud. He lived a long life here but sadly got to be so ill it was time.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240522_070905.jpg
Beggars are a pain at times. Still better than them being wild though. Several years ago had some calves start loosing weight for some reason. Lost one of them. Took a picture of this one and showed it to the vet on my route. First thing she said was liver fluke and to get some wormer that would kill them. I'll have to look for the picture of her when she was in bad shape.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 420427
Beggars are a pain at times. Still better than them being wild though. Several years ago had some calves start loosing weight for some reason. Lost one of them. Took a picture of this one and showed it to the vet on my route. First thing she said was liver fluke and to get some wormer that would kill them. I'll have to look for the picture of her when she was in bad shape.
Have you tried milk thistle? You probably have it on your farm.GettyImages-984177570-88740a4613134834a7589a84180a3e05.jpg

Milk thistle for liver flukes
Milk thistle, also known as Silybum marianum, has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for various liver-related issues, including liver flukes. The plant’s active compound, silymarin, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and hepatoprotective properties, making it a potential treatment for liver flukes.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Severe storms and rain predicted for Friday again but hopefully nothing like what Greenfield Iowa got Tuesday. It got rough here but dissipated very quick. Those folks were hit head on.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey lookie there !!!
IMG_1325.jpeg

Three towers up and three more to go.
IMG_1324.jpeg

Doesn’t look like much but there are 11 yards of concrete in that pad somewhere. They dug 3’ diameter holes 5-6’ deep in each corner and the flat part is a foot thick. Shouldn’t go anywhere !!
IMG_1326.jpeg

Not the fanciest control panel but not bottom of the barrel either. I like to live in the middle.
IMG_1327.jpeg

That sure is a lot of wires and stuff just to run a sprinkler.
IMG_1328.jpeg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tornado warning right now.
I was still in the timber Tuesday night when she started to brew here. I was not too worried till it got real dark, and the storm sirens went off over in Iowa. I stood under a big old I have loved for years. I figured what the hell good as spot as any to be planted. We 100% lucked out.

Yes I joke but I have seen the devastation and folks it is sad. I have pictures from years past.....not good. I do not give a damn where you live we all face weather issues and none is better or worse than the other. The Iowa Derecho was something we had never seen and I hope no one ever sees again.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey lookie there !!!
View attachment 420501

View attachment 420502

Doesn’t look like much but there are 11 yards of concrete in that pad somewhere. They dug 3’ diameter holes 5-6’ deep in each corner and the flat part is a foot thick. Shouldn’t go anywhere !!
View attachment 420503

Not the fanciest control panel but not bottom of the barrel either. I like to live in the middle.
View attachment 420506

View attachment 420507
Do you still fill the silo and Harvestore?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey lookie there !!!
View attachment 420501

View attachment 420502

View attachment 420503

View attachment 420506

View attachment 420507
One of the best investments you can make. That and a good planter

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you still fill the silo and Harvestore?
There are two more harvesters out of view. They haven’t been filled since 2008. Well, the smaller corn unit was used up until 2014 when I built the barn at my place. The harvesters are amazing things but require a lot of upkeep.

We’ll be almost $3,900/acre into the systems including everything. They’ll almost double the yields we get. Can’t buy more ground for $3,900/an anymore so this makes more sense !!

The planter is a Deere 1760 and a heck of a step up from the one before it that the pilgrims brought over with them. It’s been a dang good unit so far !!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is some center pivots south of me about 10 miles in the Illinois bay. On the Iowa side they are quite prevalent in what they call the "Muscatine" Island. In this drainage district there are none that I know of. We need to get rid of the seep water from the Mississippi. In the drought of 1988 there were a few guys that bought big PTO pumps and tried to force water back up the drain tiles. As far as I know it was a failure. Out along highway 70 and blacktop 70 southeast of West Liberty Iowa Billie Danner has some center pivots. It was surprising as that is good flat black ground other than the piece that lies on the corner of highway 70 and highway 22. He does very well so I guess it was a great investment.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are two more harvesters out of view. They haven’t been filled since 2008. Well, the smaller corn unit was used up until 2014 when I built the barn at my place. The harvesters are amazing things but require a lot of upkeep.

We’ll be almost $3,900/acre into the systems including everything. They’ll almost double the yields we get. Can’t buy more ground for $3,900/an anymore so this makes more sense !!

The planter is a Deere 1760 and a heck of a step up from the one before it that the pilgrims brought over with them. It’s been a dang good unit so far !!
It is sad to see the silos and harvestores go but I know times have changed. You can literally put 200 ton in a bag in a blink of an eye.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is sad to see the silos and harvestores go but I know times have changed. You can literally put 200 ton in a bag in a blink of an eye.
Last fall I drove silage truck for a large dairy near here that uses 14’ Ag Bags and stuffs it in with a 600hp bagger. It’d eat the semi load almost as fast as I could convey it to the back of the truck. We filled three 14x500’s holding 1,300 ton of corn silage each the day I helped. Just bonkers !!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is amazing how much can be done in a day. My first experience bagging years ago was with an old silo pac/silo press unit. We did not even get chopping til after dinner and I had to be at the Whitetails dinner that night by 6. Marvin had a wedding at 6 also. Neither of us were late.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No center pivots here, pretty much everything is highly erodible. The soil types just aren’t conducive to them.

The closest ones I know of are 45 miles to the west & 60-70 miles north.

Last edited: