Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am amazed at how much the hog industry has changed in 30/35 years. One of my son's is the hog guy for a feed research farm here. I cannot believe the distance they have to get outs from . In the 1996 in the height of the "greasy pig" issues and 7 cent fats my wife worked in a 1200 saw a unit. I was astounded then and it is worse now.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure a fella could of even started a campfire around here in 1993.
I believe you are in Southwest Iowa. How did you folks do in the June 2008 deluge? It devasted all of northern Iowa then passed it down the Mississippi. Lots of stories on that one.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe you are in Southwest Iowa. How did you folks do in the June 2008 deluge? It devasted all of northern Iowa then passed it down the Mississippi. Lots of stories on that one.
I was in the oil patch of North Dakota/Montana at that time, I don’t recall much about the weather here at that time.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was in the oil patch of North Dakota/Montana at that time, I don’t recall much about the weather here at that time.
June 2008 was horrible for all of Iowa north of Interstate 80, actually everyone north of Hwy 34. Those along the Mississippi from Dubuque IA/Galena ILon down got slammed also because of it. When you get down the Mississippi to the little town of Gulf Port IL (across from Burlington IA) it destroyed what is as left after 1993. The Mississippi levee broke there twice in 2008. I saw flood waters up to the second story windows just south of Hwy 34 on the Carman blacktop. At one point you could not cross Iowa from Hwy 20 at Dubuque to Hwy 34 at Burlington. All the Cedar River and Iowa River bridges (or approaches) were washed out. Interstate 80 at Tipton was under water. Iowa City and Cedar Rapids were torn up.

It was a helluva rough time for many.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday I picked rocks with my new to me Robo Rock Picker bucket. I gotta say it’s everything I was hoping it’d be. Easily twice as fast as using a regular tined bucket. One little spin of the bucket and the dirt is all out so you don’t need to be nearly as careful how deep you dig to pick the rock so you can keep cruising while picking vs slowing down.
IMG_1210.jpeg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember almost 40 years ago being up in northern Iowa and seeing every field with rock piles in each corner. I cannot imagine trying to cut beans in fields full of rocks. Do you have any pics of your rock piles?

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have any pics of your rock piles?
Zoom in on the pic above. Now picture that same thing 20’ deep inside that entire tree line. Now picture two more in different places in that same field the same size. Those piles are around 156 acres of field. Lots of rocks.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Down here those big ones would bring good money to the yuppies for landscaping.
20yrs ago we had someone come in and “harvest” the big ones off rock piles and he paid us $50/end dump load. If memory serves me correctly he took 220 loads off our various fields. He was hauling for a month in the fall and happier than a lark. It doesn’t look like he took anything again. May be time to call him lol