The forestry and logging pictures thread

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take it your hiking in to your cutting?
Right now we’re right on the road. In fact I sent that tree sidehill above the road and it rolled across the road and then slid down the hill on the other side. So much for making it easy on the skid crew

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And guys, I don’t mean to imply that tree was too massive to cut properly, it wasn’t. It was only a little over 6’. It was just an awkward stump, weird flares, my backcut on the down hill side was over 8’ off the ground. It was just a pain in the ass kinda tree. Ok. Next!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And guys, I don’t mean to imply that tree was too massive to cut properly, it wasn’t. It was only a little over 6’. It was just an awkward stump, weird flares, my backcut on the down hill side was over 8’ off the ground. It was just a pain in the ass kinda tree. Ok. Next!
“Only a little over 6’” 😆

Pictures don’t do those justice…

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He put me and my older bro to work early no bludging on his watch lol

20220917_081722.jpg20220917_082142.jpg

This is him few years ago now in his early 60's..
He started out as a firewood cutter... For memory I think he said he was about 14 when he started had some old chainsaw a Danarm he said it was chit and slow as cutting and it would shock ya as the plug boot was right near ya hand lol..
Then got into the buzzsaws for firewood way faster than slow chainsaws back then.
And from there he moved onto cutting cordwood/ firewood with 090's he still reckons they are the best saw ever made.
He did try a big new McCulloch back in the day I don't know what model it was but he said it was not to his liking and he chopped it up with an axe after it wouldn’t start one day! not even joking LOL..
He's never owned a saw that run 3/8 he's only run .404 he's whole life, he calls a 066 or ms661 a little saw recons they run ok for little saws 90cc would be the smallest saws he's ever run lol...
Anyway he ended up working as a cutter for the big hardwood mills back in the day did that tell mid 80's ish.. He said some the old cutters he worked with at the start were from way back in the day when they used an axe and misery whip and worked in the bush their whole lives..
One old cutter he said would fall barefoot running an 090 he said his feet were like thick tough old leather lol...
He then got into sleeper cutting worked at it tell he owned a decent sawmill did that for a few decades and retired when he was about 70 and a millionaire.
Hard work does pay he is living proof and no his not all busted up worn out... In my 50 years I've never heard him once complain he's old or sore or buggered he just gets on with it. He still runs a saw most days and still sells firewood in his 70's I guess they don't make em like they used to...
20220812_031916.jpg
5 (2).jpg1 (6).jpg

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He put me and my older bro to work early no bludging on his watch lol

View attachment 377966View attachment 377967

This is him few years ago now in his early 60's..
He started out as a firewood cutter... For memory I think he said he was about 14 when he started had some old chainsaw a Danarm he said it was chit and slow as cutting and it would shock ya as the plug boot was right near ya hand lol..
Then got into the buzzsaws for firewood way faster than slow chainsaws back then.
And from there he moved onto cutting cordwood/ firewood with 090's he still reckons they are the best saw ever made.
He did try a big new McCulloch back in the day I don't know what model it was but he said it was not to his liking and he chopped it up with an axe after it wouldn’t start one day! not even joking LOL..
He's never owned a saw that run 3/8 he's only run .404 he's whole life, he calls a 066 or ms661 a little saw recons they run ok for little saws 90cc would be the smallest saws he's ever run lol...
Anyway he ended up working as a cutter for the big hardwood mills back in the day did that tell mid 80's ish.. He said some the old cutters he worked with at the start were from way back in the day when they used an axe and misery whip and worked in the bush their whole lives..
One old cutter he said would fall barefoot running an 090 he said his feet were like thick tough old leather lol...
He then got into sleeper cutting worked at it tell he owned a decent sawmill did that for a few decades and retired when he was about 70 and a millionaire.
Hard work does pay he is living proof and no his not all busted up worn out... In my 50 years I've never heard him once complain he's old or sore or buggered he just gets on with it. He still runs a saw most days and still sells firewood in his 70's I guess they don't make em like they used to...
View attachment 377968
View attachment 377971View attachment 377970
Tough as a pine knot.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you please explain this? What is sleeper cutting?

Great memories and story!
Railway sleepers you guys call em ties.
We cut hundreds of thousands of hardwood sleepers and bridge timbers (junk) for the railways over the years (I'm in Australia) the state of Queensland to be exact they sooks down south wouldn't know what a hard days work was same as them whinging New Zealanders lol

images - 2023-05-17T221046.224.jpegimages - 2023-05-17T222241.609.jpeg1 (23).jpg11 (2).JPG5 (3).JPG

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cross ties.

Railway sleepers you guys call em ties.
We cut hundreds of thousands of hardwood sleepers and bridge timbers (junk) for the railways over the years (I'm in Australia) the state of Queensland to be exact they sooks down south wouldn't know what a hard days work was same as them whinging New Zealanders lol
Ahh, that makes sense now for the railroad “bed”…. I’ve never heard them called that before. Thanks for explaining!

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
H
Ahh, that makes sense now for the railroad “bed”…. I’ve never heard them called that before. Thanks for explaining!
Here's a good vid on how they used to do it old sleepers cutters hewing sleepers with a broad axe.
My dad has a collection of old broad axes he calls em an ad's (not sure on the spelling) or is an ad's the thing that looks like a mattock?? IDK I'll ask him next time I see him. A Board axe is actually left or right handed the handle curves to one side depending on if you are left or right handed so ya don't smash ya knuckles on the edge of the timber you are hewing.

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
H

Here's a good vid on how they used to do it old sleepers cutters hewing sleepers with a broad axe.
My dad has a collection of old broad axes he calls em an ad's (not sure on the spelling) or is an ad's the thing that looks like a mattock?? IDK I'll ask him next time I see him. A Board axe is actually left or right handed the handle curves to one side depending on if you are left or right handed so ya don't smash ya knuckles on the edge of the timber you are hewing.

I've done this before, quickly realized that it is a craftsmen tool and I am merely a novice.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
H

Awesome video