The forestry and logging pictures thread

Swanman62

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet the level cut with the crosscut is head high. Try to pull your half of an 8 foot crosscut at head level. Then you chop out the undercut with a double bit. I agree that the tree doesn’t appear to have as much root swell as a lot of them do. Look at the pile of chips on the ground from the undercut. They were earning their beef steak dinner and moth chewed bunks!

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I don't think people were as tall then for starters. #2 you have to swing down to take the face out which would mean you'd have to be about 7'6" to do so. Easy to run a saw over your head, just hang onto it, hand tools not so much.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder why they bothered with springboards that close to the ground?

Sometimes in old-growth softwoods, there's real gnarly grain low in the stump. We tend to take it for granted in this modern era with our lightweight, high-powered chainsaws,
but powering through it by hand is a different matter.

I've actually used that to my advantage when sawing a tree that has some rot high in the stump - I've gone lower and found solid wood on which to make the felling cuts.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes in old-growth softwoods, there's real gnarly grain low in the stump. We tend to take it for granted in this modern era with our lightweight, high-powered chainsaws,
but powering through it by hand is a different matter.

I've actually used that to my advantage when sawing a tree that has some rot high in the stump - I've gone lower and found solid wood on which to make the felling cuts.
Does the grain get "bunched up " from all the tonnage sitting on it?
I know cutting trees on the coast after a hurricane is funky because of the twisted way they grow in the wind.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the grain get "bunched up " from all the tonnage sitting on it?
I know cutting trees on the coast after a hurricane is funky because of the twisted way they grow in the wind.

I'm not sure if it's from weight or wind, but I've seen corkscrew grain in old-growth Doug Fir down low. Anyone who has fell timber out here has seen it.

Interesting factoid - I was on a big fire in the early 90's in southwestern New Mexico. We had to cut some bigger snags and my boss at the time told us
to look for the "water mark." I had no idea what that meant - it was a side of the big trees facing where the storms would always blow in from
the southwest. The trees were usually limb heavy on that side and would favor that lay. There was a dimple on the sides of those trees that
ran almost the full length - it was from where the water was running down the side of the tree in the heavy rains.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a5837536c4e15717d5da80858db635bc.jpg

Too wet to do much else other then make some lowboy boards 2”x24”x24’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder why they bothered to springboard that close to the ground
Good question. There is probably 4 or so reasons why they operate off the springboard.
Mostly people figure it looks like they are getting above the bell end flair so they end up with a more cindical pipe. Very true. That's got several advantages on it's own once the log is down.

As we see there is no flair in that picture, though at least not above the ground.

A consideration for height is cleaner wood, too.
I use my axe to clean moss and soil. Unlike 'these guys', my butcher's knife is only the saw. Some of the old joints, you make or pay. (Been there many times) I'm talking a deeper wet belt and not a Dougles-fir ecosystem.

Continued...

Last edited: