Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet he didn’t weigh saws, lol.

My old man would think a lot of what goes on with this forum is pretty silly.

How do you know he used a saw and not an Ax?

That's a modern Thermos - those didn't come out until the mid-60's. The era of the axe was over by then.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Good question. There is probably 4 or so reasons why they operate off the springboard.
Mostly people figure it looks like they are getting above the bell end flair so they end up with a more cindical pipe. Very true. That's got several advantages on it's own once the log is down.

As we see there is no flair in that picture, though at least not above the ground.

A consideration for height is cleaner wood, too.
I use my axe to clean moss and soil. Unlike 'these guys', my butcher's knife is only the saw. Some of the old joints, you make or pay. (Been there many times) I'm talking a deeper wet belt and not a Dougles-fir ecosystem.

Continued...

I posted accidentally in the middle of my post the other day.
First off I should add, I was referencing above more about BC, in regards to D-Fir ecosystem. It grows on the south end, westside tip of Vancouver island but that is mostly over the rain shadow of the Olympic mountain range and the warmest part of the BC coast. The biggest firs ever grown in Canada came out of that sunny side that extends into Vancouver. There is a 14ft Douglass fir still standing today. As they grow north, it's inland off the west coast to east side of the Island. (leeward side not the windward side.) It picks up the same pattern again on the lower mainland over the Johnson strait. It shows up up the inlets a ways and not in the passages from what I have seen. I wouldn't agree with most maps of BC that show the D-Fir ecosystem range. Maybe there is pockets? It seems a little generous.
________
Anyway. As far as the use of springboards with crosscut saws and axes in clear lumber with no flair:
As well as getting above the brush, I would think its mostly for evening out the Fallers height and footing. Although the ground may be considered flat, there is a bowl around the larger tree making it hard to stand next to the tree. You may end up working off one back foot with a chainsaw. .
Keep in mind, it's a two person tool. They can set at their individual optimal height with little effort.

Last edited: