ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, That's one crankshaft design I thought would never work in my younger days. Boy, Did I get that wrong. Caterpillar has showed strong since the early eighties on that engine.

I always heard that back in the day when they first put them in trucks if you turned them up past 550-600hp the crank would break. Even more rare to see a truck with an 1676 cat.

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that be good power w/5axles.
ive run 08s w/7 & 8 axles.
what yr kw?
I am not sure, a friend of mine sent that to me. I have a couple buddys running long hood Petes with 3408's, they sound so cool. I hate working on them , all my friends have Brakesavers on there 3408's, B's and E's . Its like working on a 019 top handle.
Ryan

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, That's one crankshaft design I thought would never work in my younger days. Boy, Did I get that wrong. Caterpillar has showed strong since the early eighties on that engine.
They can build a Crank and tough bottom end for sure, I used to love loading them down to 1200 rpms's on the dyno full load and they keep pulling. I wish I would have got some pictures of the truck drivers faces, they looked so nervous.
Ryan.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always heard that back in the day when they first put them in trucks if you turned them up past 550-600hp the crank would break. Even more rare to see a truck with an 1676 cat.
I'm not sure of the 1676?? But back in the day if you got your doors blowed off by a double bunk KW cabover with a distinctive cackle sound it had a Cat 1673 or 1693 engine. 6-cyl, dual overhead cam, pre-combustion style. Heavy, dirty, and poor fuel mileage but excellent torque and horsepower. I'm not being the Cat police here but used to bleed Cat yellow LOL!! Now I bleed the other yellow that starts with a K and I'm not talking Kobelco!!

Last edited:

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I hear ya Ryan. That is the only engine with the offset rod journals on the same throw. The 3412's were a straight journal for paired rods. I guess it was the degree of the vee block used in the 3408's as to why they did what they did to the crank.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure of the 1676?? But back in the day if you got your doors blowed off by a double bunk KW cabover with a distinctive cackle sound it had a Cat 1673 or 1693 engine. 6-cyl, dual overhead cam, pre-combustion style. Heavy, dirty, and poor fuel mileage but excellent torque and horsepower. I'm not being the Cat police here but used to bleed Cat yellow LOL!! Now I bleed the other yellow that starts with a K and I'm not talking Kobelco!!

Komatsu makes nice stuff. 1693T was a powerhouse and way underrated in it's day. Would pass mostly anything going up a hill, the 1676 was basically the V8 version, also known as the V8 D336. I'd love to have a '72 359 with a 1693 in it, like a bag of rocks idling.