That Will Buff, Won't It

dougie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a tree down in the back yard, hollow, with a dead snag at the top, and set where the dogs' tieout/run would let them get wrapped around.

Bucking it up into rounds, though most were C shaped from the hollow.

Putting metal in trees should be a crime. Not normal wire fence looked close to ¼" took 2 cutters off completely. This one down to the rivet. Went in to sharpen the cutters saw 1 missing sharpened 1 side and got to this one 🤦

Swapped the chain. Will take it to have the 2 cutters replaced and make it my dirty wood / stumping chain, as well as practicing square filing on as I've been wanting to try square.

dw

Attachments

• 20240101_211144.jpg
    20240101_211144.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

dougie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time to butterfly in a new section!
Yeah I have not ponied up to the world of breaking a spinning rivots. Thinking of doing so... I'll have to take this to a dealer and the only Stihl dealer I know still spinning chain is almost an hour away.

Worst part is it is close to the outlet malls and if the wife hears that the direction I'm heading 😯

dw

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I have not ponied up to the world of breaking a spinning rivots. Thinking of doing so.
Harbor Freight has a setup for about $70, relatively inexpensive way to get into it. I got lucky and my work was tossing out their old Oregon equipment to upgrade to Stihl, so I got the old stuff!

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I brought home a tree recently, Turns out the base was solid but the up from that and center it was on it's way out, Upset at first but then figured I could use it for something else. Halfway through the tree I discover a metal sign hiding in it and of course it's always the freshly sharpened chain that finds something.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not that hard to repair chains without special equipment. Just grind/file the rivet heads flush and the links fall right out and then peen the new heads over tapping round and round with a ballpeen hammer. Breaker/spinner setup is really just a convenience...