Talk to me about 4 wheelers

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh. The only one I knew of is an hour south of me. Guess I don't get out much [emoji106]
They just opened one on the Alabama side of Atlanta. They call it the Atlanta/Something location, but it's practically in Alabama.

I hadn't even heard of the place like 10 years ago till coworkers with young kids talked about going there. Then I started seeing adds all over for it. Now that I have my own it's everything they watch on tv plays the commercials.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They just opened one on the Alabama side of Atlanta. They call it the Atlanta/Something location, but it's practically in Alabama.

I hadn't even heard of the place like 10 years ago till coworkers with young kids talked about going there. Then I started seeing adds all over for it. Now that I have my own it's everything they watch on tv plays the commercials.

My kids want to go, but I’m not financing a vacation! I will stick to the beach.

We had both good and bad luck out of Arctic Cats. Seems like some years weren’t as well built as the others. We had an older (early 2000s) one that was a POS.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My kids want to go, but I’m not financing a vacation! I will stick to the beach.

We had both good and bad luck out of Arctic Cats. Seems like some years weren’t as well built as the others. We had an older (early 2000s) one that was a POS.
I mean you shouldn't have to finance it, it's not that expensive?? We went for 2 nights. Sunday and Monday night. It cost us $340ish dollars? You shouldn't have to finance that amount, but I don't know your situation. I mean we ate out more than normal but we ate subway, got a pizza, made sandwiches, not like we broke the bank. It cost us way more to go to the beach for a few days. You basically rent the room and the water park comes free, number of people don't matter. You can have 2 adults and 5 kids and it would cost the same as it cost me with 2 adults and 1 kid.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 300 is just like mine but a newer model year. They kept that same body and basically the motor with just a few updates from 1988 to early 00s to tell you how solid and proven that machine is!

So these Hondas are all manuals, right? Gotta use a clutch and all that? Are they straight axles or IRS?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the info!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So these Hondas are all manuals, right? Gotta use a clutch and all that? Are they straight axles or IRS?

No clutch. Automatic clutch rather. Foot or electronic shift. Mostly straight axles other than maybe the rincon and maybe the newer rubicon

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mine is manual, but that said it's auto clutch. Like to shift, all you do is let off gas, pull up to shift and just push the gas. No hand clutch like a motorcycle. Mine is straight rear axle, independent front.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the CFO just put the kabosh on anything that requires shifting. I see her point, but that seems to eliminate the Hondas under $3000. So, looking for a 4wd, automatic with solid rear axle, preferably shaft driven. Keep the model numbers coming guys, and thanks again.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the CFO just put the kabosh on anything that requires shifting. I see her point, but that seems to eliminate the Hondas under $3000. So, looking for a 4wd, automatic with solid rear axle, preferably shaft driven. Keep the model numbers coming guys, and thanks again.
Why solid rear axle?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why solid rear axle?

Towing. As I understand it anyway. Not a deal breaker though I suppose. I'll probably mostly be towing the wagon setup, so no tongue weight.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2002 Yamaha Kodiak YFM-400 4x4 automatic with Hi/Lo range. The only year Yamaha put an 11:1 racing piston in their Kodiak 4x4’s. It’ll haul ass, pulls like a mule, and climb a tree if you can get a tire on it!
27F91AFF-6A36-45F4-8A93-39BBD33FF7EB.jpeg
728F3898-47E2-4600-81B2-9079EB579E17.jpeg
938141DA-11E6-4C05-8950-7B04987E7F48.jpeg

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the ones from the very early 00s like the rancher are electronic shift. Push a button with your thumb to up and down shift.

My wife can drive my 4 wheeler and she can't drive a stick shift car. Can't hardly begin to describe how car shifting works beyond a clutch. She always asked me how I knew what gear I was suppose to be in. How I chose 3rd and not second etc. I was like cause I have driven for years?? If I chose 3rd and needed second I just won't go, the engine will shutter and knock and possibly stall. If I choose 2nd and need 3rd I will be almost red lining the engine. All that said she can drive the ATV fine. Just when the engine gets up in rpm you let of gas and then pull up your left foot, puts in the next gear and then you just push in gas till engine races, repeat. As you slow, your finger is off Gass obviously if your slowing and you push down the gear shift as your slowing. Or if you come to a complete stop ,just keep down shifting till in 1st and keep going.

Lots Of people like polaris. That may be your best bet, you can get an older one for decent price, and there auto, with belts and like a cvt trans. I just don't like the feel and drive of them, they seem less durable. But I have very limited experience riding them .

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Towing. As I understand it anyway. Not a deal breaker though I suppose. I'll probably mostly be towing the wagon setup, so no tongue weight.
Idk. I've heard these claims before and just don't see it. Sure, on a straight axle, the weight is on the tires, where on an independent it's on the suspension. But by the time you squash the suspension on a sportsman you're already so heavy that it's pushing you around.
1 trip across a corn or bean field at 30mph will sell you. I've had 450 foremans, 300EX, and 2 sportsmans. There's no comparison. People also get hung up on the shift transmission being better than a cvt. I know of 1 that plowed snow it's whole life and needed a belt at 2600 miles. Another that drug around a 6' disc in high range and needed it at 1200 miles. Mine is an 02 with 1700 miles on the original belt.

Don't get me wrong, straight axle machines are solid workhorses but that's not everything. And the ride quality isn't there.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a 2001 Suzuki King Quad 300, hi/lo and locking differential. Electric and pull start but you do have to shift. Plows great and locked in it will pull your teeth out. Not a speed demon but not why I bought it, very reliable.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kwasaki Bayou was a good little machine. The old little ones I think we're 220. They competed with the recons. But again you shift them.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife definitely can drive stick. Until a couple years ago all our vehicles were stick. She's driven one of those old Honda quads too although she doesn't remember it. It's just a convenience thing in her eyes. If I had one in front of her for a good deal, she'd probably be fine with it, but since she gets to choose, I'll try to find what will make her happy.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like the ones with a steering wheel anymore. The ones with handlebars hurt me bad many years ago. The reason I am crippled up today. This thing is very easy for me to get in and out of, and I only have a couple steps from the door to the seat. I hardly ever get in my truck anymore. 101_0841.JPG

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh. The only one I knew of is an hour south of me. Guess I don't get out much :thumbsup:
Ya ain't missing much

We have one in Kansas City
I know a guy that busted his head on a pipe going down a slide after that first opened. He got all sorts of paid.

I feel ya on that, last I checked on the one local to me it was 320 a night.

get a V twin Prairie or brute force Kawasaki. You'll sound like a Harley in the woods.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya ain't missing much

I know a guy that busted his head on a pipe going down a slide after that first opened. He got all sorts of paid.

I feel ya on that, last I checked on the one local to me it was 320 a night.

get a V twin Prairie or brute force Kawasaki. You'll sound like a Harley in the woods.
They always have discounts running. If you stay 2 nights you get like a 40% discount with coupon codes. Also the trick is not to go on Friday or Saturday night, then it is over $300 a night regular price. Price drops way off for a week night.