Stock 660 port timing numbers?

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have the stock 660 port timing numbers. I have not worked with these a lot and the few I have all had different AM top ends.

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Guys. Stock Meteor
Ex 95
Tr 126
in 80

Squish surprisingly was .7mm, I'm just going to run with that. Not seen a Stihl Meteor before and it is perfectly round with a beautiful finish. I find the coating harder to cut than OEM. Have you guys found the same?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ex 95
Tr 126
in 80

Squish surprisingly was .7mm, I'm just going to run with that. Not seen a Stihl Meteor before and it is perfectly round with a beautiful finish. I find the coating harder to cut than OEM. Have you guys found the same?
Only done a couple, but Meteor squish band plating sucks to cut. Makes the lathe sing different tunes than I’m used to

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ex 95
Tr 126
in 80

Carbide had an awful time getting through the plating. Like Kevin said, squeak, squeak, squaller, squaller, boom.

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And will even chip the tungsten tip. I don't like using my good burs on them either. Tend too remove the coating with a diamond bur then use carbide burs. I'm not going to cut the squish band on this one just let it breath and and ex better.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
660 top ends are like scratch offs, never know what you'll get. Best one I have is 100/126/80 on a NOS KS top end.

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll Third the fact that meteor plating sucks to machine or grind. It’s like kryptonite.

LOL It's not just me then. I have done several and they are bullet proof. Just did a BB Hyway for a guy and it lasted about 20 liters. We are going to replace it with a Meteor. I just got that call now and I won't wast my time on anything but OEM or Meteor. The only cylinders I ever have trouble with are Chinese cylinders.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL It's not just me then. I have done several and they are bullet proof. Just did a BB Hyway for a guy and it lasted about 20 liters. We are going to replace it with a Meteor. I just got that call now and I won't wast my time on anything but OEM or Meteor. The only cylinders I ever have trouble with are Chinese cylinders.
Still never seen a meteor run as well as oem though. Port size, shape, and direction always suck

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still never seen a meteor run as well as oem though. Port size, shape, and direction always suck

Agreed. Here in NZ an OEM top end is $600.00. So if a guy runs straight gas it's pretty much a write off. So AM has taken over here big time. I just negotiated an on going deal with a dealer that has made OEM Husy more affordable and ordered a couple of cylinders so It will be nice to do more OEM.
Meteor tend to have lower transfer timing typically, the port shape and differences I am able to mostly correct. I CAD design all my ports and 3D print a template. The interesting thing with that is you can see clear as day the slight differences between cylinders from even the same manufacturer. It saves a huge amount of time as I just cut until I get very close then do finial checks with the timing wheel. The ports come out super consistent and I know I am getting the correct port time area.
I recently did a BB 372 and as I have done a lot of those I just used the timing wheel did not bother printing a template for the changes I made. The saw did not go as expected. So I pulled it down and mapped it out and I was a good bit off my port time area. Threw it in the bin and did it properly yesterday with the exact same port timing and the saw is explosive. The little things matter it seems.

I just play around doing my own saws and a few mates, lately a few others are asking me to do there's it's just a bit of fun really.

Haven't done any Stihl before so hence the question. I'm a little surprised the EX is 95. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Thanks for the numbers guys.