GoldMember
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Heck ya buddy! Here's my CFB hybrid.

11784693643b614e0ff7fbbee72328bb.jpg
e5441e6e711e21defd23c77d62c73aa9.jpg

Dan, how was the black applied? Was the plastic dyed, painted, powder coated, etc? That looks sweet - I have a few aged saws with discolored and scratched tank handles and covers that could would look much better black.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan, how was the black applied? Was the plastic dyed, painted, powder coated, etc? That looks sweet - I have a few aged saws with discolored and scratched tank handles and covers that could would look much better black.
The parts were dyed with RIT black dye. The plastics on this saw are Farmertec and take the dye exceptionally well. The orange takes it faster than the white tank did. Orange parts close to an hour and the tank was in for way longer. I have some in a pot right now for my 361. I also have some Maxflo plastic in there but it is not taking the dye.

One thing about dying plastic is if your plastic is nice it will be nice dyed. If your plastic is dull and scratched it will still be dull and scratched after dying. Ot will just be black and dull and scratched.

Dan

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The parts were dyed with RIT black dye. The plastics on this saw are Farmertec and take the dye exceptionally well. The orange takes it faster than the white tank did. Orange parts close to an hour and the tank was in for way longer. I have some in a pot right now for my 361. I also have some Maxflo plastic in there but it is not taking the dye.

One thing about dying plastic is if your plastic is nice it will be nice dyed. If your plastic is dull and scratched it will still be dull and scratched after dying. Ot will just be black and dull and scratched.

Dan

Dan

Thank you man. Understood. I thought about hitting the plastic surface with some fine grain sand paper or emery cloth to remove any high spots, then a buffing wheel to achieve a relatively smooth surface prior to the color change.

I thought yours may be dyed. While I've never dyed chainsaw plastic, I have dipped a few Glock frames and assorted weapon components in RIT. You state that the plastic is aftermarket - is there any difference between ease of application or color absorption between OEM and AM plastic?

Thanks again man!!

Jared

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan

Thank you man. Understood. I thought about hitting the plastic surface with some fine grain sand paper or emery cloth to remove any high spots, then a buffing wheel to achieve a relatively smooth surface prior to the color change.

I thought yours may be dyed. While I've never dyed chainsaw plastic, I have dipped a few Glock frames and assorted weapon components in RIT. You state that the plastic is aftermarket - is there any difference between ease of application or color absorption between OEM and AM plastic?

Thanks again man!!

Jared
The OEM plastic dyed the same as the AM plastics. I have used Farmetec plastics on a couple saws and they fit exactly as the OEM ones do and have held up well! @Definitive Dave is the man to get the Farmertec plastics from! Good luck with the dye job!

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, it starts! Fixeded the handle, made a new key about half of what was there and put a "MAGNUM" sticker on the top for good luck. Thanks @Canadian farm boy for letting me dicker with it a little bit, it works now so is far as I will go with it. :)

Your blade is upside down

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well... Where's the vids of this bad boy cutting some wood? [emoji2957]