Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the nova modules work good also if the coil is still good the condenser went bad on my 041 and I just converted it over the spark is way hotter.

That's very interesting there Jake, as this was my first thought as I keep those modules in the shop. The way I understood, it would only work with a coil that was mounted outside the flywheel, not inside like the 041 is. Let me know how your 041 runs with the Nova module as this could possibly lead to more engines brought back to life that way than previously thought. Thanks SS.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's very interesting there Jake, as this was my first thought as I keep those modules in the shop. The way I understood, it would only work with a coil that was mounted outside the flywheel, not inside like the 041 is. Let me know how your 041 runs with the Nova module as this could possibly lead to more engines brought back to life that way than previously thought. Thanks SS.[/QUOTE
I got one in a 032 right now it was the points style also.
but I done the 041 a while back and it runs awesome I highly recommend it

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jake, I'll definitely keep that in the back of my head for the future.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's very interesting there Jake, as this was my first thought as I keep those modules in the shop. The way I understood, it would only work with a coil that was mounted outside the flywheel, not inside like the 041 is. Let me know how your 041 runs with the Nova module as this could possibly lead to more engines brought back to life that way than previously thought. Thanks SS.

I tried one of those Nova modules on an 1130g which had an old Atom module installed as a replacement for points. The saw sounded great with the Atom module but would break down badly under a load. It would just cut in and out almost pulsing. With the Nova module I got decent spark and one pop, now nothing. I'd like to make it work but may go back to points. I have a decent Poulan 6000 that will be getting a Nova as well as its factory ignition just went out. I'd like to get the 1130g fixed first.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried one of those Nova modules on an 1130g which had an old Atom module installed as a replacement for points. The saw sounded great with the Atom module but would break down badly under a load. It would just cut in and out almost pulsing. With the Nova module I got decent spark and one pop, now nothing. I'd like to make it work but may go back to points. I have a decent Poulan 6000 that will be getting a Nova as well as its factory ignition just went out. I'd like to get the 1130g fixed first.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not familiar with the models you have quoted as to trying a module on. My question is where is the coil mounted, on the inside/under the flywheel like the 041 is in this thread, or on the outside like most modern saws are? Also how many magnets are on the flywheel.

Kind of sorta not totally related, but(always a but) I just put a replacement modulated coil on an older Briggs & Stratton that I knew had worked and got no spark. Changed to a later flywheel and bingo had all kinds of it. Seems to me the pattern I'm seeing is for a module to work there should be two magnets on the flywheel with a gap in between, one to charge it the other to fire it. My guess is that @jake wells success is that his ignition is firing extra or multiple times in each stroke, which if it does not bother it, I guess could be OK, as the 041 has four magnets inside with gaps between each, how it picked out to fire on the one BTDC is anyone's guess as it makes no sense to me, and is a for now a mystery.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the coil is under the flywheel.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I opted for new points and condenser on my 041 but the problem is it's still not running. I was wondering if anybody knows what the timing is supposed to be on an 041. The specs say something like .10 before TDC but my timing light works on degrees of flywheel rotation. I checked mine and it showed in excess of 20 degrees before TDC and wondering if that's good enough. It just sputters and doesn't run, very weak, wondering if I need to advance the timing some more...

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sorry to say that I'm not familiar with the models you have quoted as to trying a module on. My question is where is the coil mounted, on the inside/under the flywheel like the 041 is in this thread, or on the outside like most modern saws are? Also how many magnets are on the flywheel.

Kind of sorta not totally related, but(always a but) I just put a replacement modulated coil on an older Briggs & Stratton that I knew had worked and got no spark. Changed to a later flywheel and bingo had all kinds of it. Seems to me the pattern I'm seeing is for a module to work there should be two magnets on the flywheel with a gap in between, one to charge it the other to fire it. My guess is that @jake wells success is that his ignition is firing extra or multiple times in each stroke, which if it does not bother it, I guess could be OK, as the 041 has four magnets inside with gaps between each, how it picked out to fire on the one BTDC is anyone's guess as it makes no sense to me, and is a for now a mystery.
My 041 has 4 magnets on the flywheel which is supposed to be a no no for installing the Nova chips.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I opted for new points and condenser on my 041 but the problem is it's still not running. I was wondering if anybody knows what the timing is supposed to be on an 041. The specs say something like .10 before TDC but my timing light works on degrees of flywheel rotation. I checked mine and it showed in excess of 20 degrees before TDC and wondering if that's good enough. It just sputters and doesn't run, very weak, wondering if I need to advance the timing some more...

If you hook a continuity tester up, it should flicker when the mark on the flywheel and case line up, there is pics and details in the begining of this thread.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 041 has 4 magnets on the flywheel which is supposed to be a no no for installing the Nova chips.

I can only guess that Jake's saw might be firing multiple times per stroke. I've tried putting them on external coils that should have worked and did not. Still have yet to unlock the mystery of the Nova module.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a set of new points from the Greek on ebay, they seem to be good quality.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 056 that had the failed bosh ignition. I used a nova module and an 041 coil to get that saw running. It had the two piece flywheel that appeared to have four magnets. Had to lengthen the slot to get timing advanced far enough for some reason. I think that saw was the cause of my CAD.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow! GREAT info here!

Link or details on this “plug and play” module?

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Been some time since I have done this, but seems to me that there were different units some for the Bosch and some for the later AV's with a SEM unit, they can not be comingled.

Is it the one that you send your ignition plate to some guy and $80 and he sends it back converted?

Frankly

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So, I am a little puzzled. I have a customer who wants to bring me a 041av with no spark, and a module he purchased for 20 bucks. It mounts to 1 of the coil screws, and the points wire is twisted to the wire on the module. Makes it sound simple. However, in this thread, I get the impression that.......if his saw has points, than the coil is inside the flywheel? If thats the case, why am I reading comments about the flywheel needing to be a 2 magnet unit? Wouldn't that indicate that the coil is external? Are some 041av's this 2-magnet design?